Portal

Can’t wait to see new RB’s. Amos dug his hole. Miami is not a school pushing kids to leave. Some kids are not going to get playing time. If Amos or Quez comes back so be it, but I’d prefer to move on without.

Super excited about talent coming in. Only real loss IMO was Caiden, but fortunately defense is pretty stacked still.

Seems like everyone is trying to get to an operating policy around the portal. I have been thinking about what would do as a coach, they are really in a tough position. First thing that is important is transparency about the depth chart and where each player’s college career is currently and where it could be. If starters want to enter the portal, I would stay positive, but also make it clear that we move on after you enter the portal. Doesn’t mean you can’t come back, but your starting spot on the depth chart is not there, we will be actively trying to replace you.

We don’t want to encourage people to test the waters, so instead of threatening them or banning them from return, let’s keep recruiting them thru their entire career. Make them feel at home and that they would be giving up a lot if they left. No different than what good corporations do with their employees, use positive reinforcement to keep your talent.

4 Likes

Coaches bringing in portal players with experience and immediately putting them in front of younger players the coach recruited is sone of the reason kids go in the portal . CM has done this a few times. Sidebar, I don’t have a problem with it either. However, it would send a message that “ you aren’t going to play here”.

Coaches at every school, at times, push players to leave. Miami is no exception.

1 Like

Here is an uplifting story for your Holy Thursday reading:

2 Likes

May ruin CFB .

College football used to be my favorite sport and college basketball was close behind. In the 90s I would watch cnn headline news (before the internet) just to get the Miami score

I dont know if it was having kids and their sports- I dont know if it was Miami being less accomplished (at least in basketball)

But for some reason I certainly care less. The MAC tournament used to be 2 vacation days and an all season session ticket- now I go if I can make it.

I think the unlimited roster changes is probably the biggest reason. I used to strategize the football depth chart for years out. But my guess is this is more of a problem for MAC level fans then Ohio State.

7 Likes

So, who is actually going to spill the beans on Amos? Reading the tea leaves it sounds like he took some bad advice about the P5 opportunities available to him, was too indecisive during recruiting, and was left without a seat at any table.

Is that accurate? Maybe an oversimplification? Not at all accurate?

2 Likes

I have no insider insights but it was publicly known that he did have P5 suitors…I think he may have overplayed his hand in an expectation to be assured of being a starter and a featured RB. It would appear that UNC couldn’t go for that…

1 Like

For me, too many losing seasons for basketball to really give a shit about. For football, Chuck Martin brought back hope.

3 Likes

Close on Amos - my understanding is that he didn’t truly want to leave but a major influencer to him drove the decision to go all in for a P5 opp. My thoughts based on the little bit I know is that his heart wasn’t fully set on leaving so it made him very indecisive about the whole thing. Just a damn shame.

9 Likes

Then shiiiiit! Dawg, come home. We have more work to do. Please. Get back to the 513. Isn’t that what we all want? I do!

2 Likes

Tar Heels did in fact recruit him but wanted him as Omarion’s back up. Is he still in school at Miami?

2 Likes

He’s gonna end up wherever he can get the biggest compensation guarantee. It won’t be in Oxford, OH.

Probably whatever P5 needs RB depth after spring ball

2 Likes

Spring practice dominoes starting to fall. UMass had 6 players enter the portal this weekend. RB LynchAdams transferred to Ohio State. RB Desrosiers also in the portal.

Poop on the portal.

Was at family Easter get together yesterday. Great nephew who’s full ride at OU. He’s getting masters this summer. Got into discussion about the portal and coaches “giving a kid the boot.” Bottom line a player can’t have his scholarship pulled for athletic performance. This ia a NCAA rule. If he’s late for practice or meetings a certain number of times or skips classes or has legal problems they can yank it. What happens is a coach will tell a kid has no future and isn’t going to play and can/will tell him to hit the portal. In alot of/most cases he’ll try to help him find a team that wants him. But if he likes the school he can (politely!) tell the coach no and stay at the school. His favorite two words moving forward after that discussion are “yes sir.” He has two friends on the team who told coaches came to to basically run them off the team and they told them they weren’t going to leave and have kept their scholarships. His older brother who was also full ride at UC has told me the same as far as losing a scholarship because of athletic performance.

1 Like

Athletic scholarships are a 1 year renewable deal. Every school and every coach handle this differently. What is true at OU and Cincy is not necessarily true at other schools. I know players personally that have been cut. I know coaches personally that cut players.

1 Like

From a player who has two teammates, one who I think is a roommate, who both were told we do want you on the team by their coach we you’re not going to play and we want your scholarship back. They told him no I’m not quitting and I’m keeping my scholarship. And they kept them. How the coaches might try to make their life miserable and run them off is another story. Per my great nephew and their dad if the coach tries too hard and hands them treatments other players don’t get there’s protections from the NCAA.

1 Like

Does Lynch-Adams expect to get any playing time in Columbus? Maybe he just wants the big game atmosphere and is content to stand on the sideline each game.

Who knows?