Pitt game

Definitely an underrated post.

1 Like

My dogs get beaten with a rolled up newspaper when they leave a steaming pile of shit like that on the floor.

4 Likes

I was in attendance with family and friends (including 5 Miamians).

The game was an overall disappointment.

We looked like we were going to get back in the game in the second quarter.

Then, we didn’t.

A marginal roughing call gave Pitt the momentum going to half.

And, we then proceeded to play one of the most lackluster halfs I’ve ever witnessed.

A neutral friend remarked that he thought he was seeing a scrimmage where you couldn’t touch or get close to the quarterback (or, the receivers, for that matter).

Very ugly.

Can it be fixed?

Based on the second quarter, I hope the answer is Yes.

We’ll see.

1 Like

Any of you old-timers remember when Marshall U HC Bob Pruett would schedule a bunch of candy-ass teams and then run the table in the MAC, meanwhile Miami and Toledo were playing P4 teams competitively and losing players to injury?

I’m seeing this with CM. Just my $.02.

1 Like

Embarrassing is all I can say when I see this score.

Chuck must have a better and more aggressive voice in these OOC games. To say things that make us sound like we don’t belong and put down our players and pump up theirs needs to stop.

Talk some $&!? Chuck and show some swagger. I would like that better even we lost but I think this is mentally degrading. Chuck might need a coach for mental preparedness in the OOC. If he wins the next 3 OOC games then make sure I send an apology on HawkTalk.

Neither the players nor the coaching staff were well-prepared for this game. There were deficiencies in the game plan and errors in the on-field execution. Ohio, UMass, Toledo, and Western Michigan were prepared and executed.

6 Likes

Nah, this is another Chuck sandbagger. It’s been what. 12 years of the dis-interest in doing anything meaningful in the early season. He needs to go joking Mike T on TV

3 Likes

Pitt will be a 9-3/10-2 ACC team this year. Their road schedule is brutal with games at Virginia Tech, Coral Gables, Louisville, and Cal.

They’re not a bottom third ACC team this year, they weren’t last year, going 6-2 in the ACC. Phil Steele has an experience chart combining starters with experience gotten from the portal. Pitt ranks 24th. Their offensive line returned 3 full-time starters, 1 part-time starter, and a multiple 1st time Ivy leaguer. That with an experienced QB is a recipe for success and almost unheard of, that kind of continuity.

Defensively, their front 7 brought back 4 full-time starters, 2 part-time starters, and 1 guy who was hurt. Continuity. What continuity do we have? Almost none. I thought this would be an easy cover for Pitt and I was right.

Now when I look at UC and UConn’s lines, offensive and defensive, there isn’t nearly the pedigree or experience on either so I expect more competitive games. The one thing that gives me pause is our offensive line. While experienced, between their talent level and the coaching they get, I don’t have much confidence in them.

I thought the QB looked good as did the receivers. Pitt’s least experienced outfit was their secondary, so we had a chance for a good matchup with them. Offensive line, outmatched. I thought the defensive line got some movement but Pitt’s offensive line is really good and their QB made some outstanding plays outside of the pocket. Linebackers, invisible. Safeties, who will step up. Punting needs to be more consistent.

1 Like

We have decent talent but we played a flat and somewhat inept game plan. Will finish 8-5. But unless we beat UC, who cares?

1 Like

(Removed)

Well we scored more points than Michigan today

1 Like

My son and I had great seats on the 45 behind the Miami bench today BUT we unfortunately witnessed one of he worst Miami games in decades!. We gave up over 600 yards !Our veteran O line was horrible and has been for some time - Patton is not getting the job done. For most of the game we had negative rushing yardage ! Our QB was constantly under pressure and obviously we could not run the ball. Our defensive backs were never in the game nor were our LB’s - the DC coaching is also very bad - we play a soft zone and our corners and safeties never once today played the ball - they play behind the receiver and hope to make the tackle after the receiver has made the catch- Except of course when were beat by Pitt’s receivers and had the ball thrown over their heads - our DB’s also like years past constantly play 10 + yards off the other teams receivers. Pitt coaching staff like other teams we have played continually call short out pass routes knowing they have a sure 5/6 yards. Yes we we also seemed not to be in condition - Pitt much better conditioned. And there is so much more like wasting a great opening 57 yard kick off return by Smith followed by two low percentage incomplete passes and then punting from the Pitt 38 yard line ( how can anyone be that dense ?) Miami was not ready to play today and Martin simply is not a game day HC. If he stays contributions will dry up and the small following Miami FB has will continue to shrink- this was a very sad day for Miami FB! Does our President and AD care?

4 Likes

Chuck needs to beat UC or it might be curtains for him. No one cares about MAC wins.

7 Likes

I would never hire CM as CEO…of anything.

2 Likes

I found Chuck’s comments to be spot on, he took responsibility for a lot of the prep and also made it clear that the team needs to play better. He didn’t say they couldn’t play better or the talent gap was so big that we can’t compete, he said what should be said we didn’t execute in many ways. My concern for this team has switched from QB to OL if we can’t play better on OL we are in trouble. We could not run the ball at all, we need balance, especially with a new QB. On defense, not sure what happened but we didn’t get good pressure and coverage was weak. Note Pitt QB is a stud, so we may have just run into a buzz saw there.

Brent Vigen at Montana State should be seriously considered…just name dropping for a friend.

After watching Miami get embarrassed by Pitt, I watched Boise play an excellent game against OREGON on the road. I’ve followed Boise for a number of years beginning when they beat Oklahoma in a bowl game a few years ago and then went to Boise when Miami played there (and watched us lose biggly on the Smurf Turf.
I was invited to a meeting by B2 over a decade ago where he said “Miami’s aspirations should be to become the Boise of the MAC…dominate the conference, play decently OOC and get nationally-ranked…blah, blah.”
Anyway, I was VERY impressed with Boise’s effort against the Ducks. Their O-line handled the Ducks D line quite effectively…they created holes for their running backs and their pass blocking pocket gave their QB enough time to scan the field to pick out an open receiver. Surely, Miami ought to be able to do this. I think Miami’s QB McComb will be good…possibly very good if he gets a decent O-line to protect him and allow a run game to occur.
Also Scoop Smith and Witten looked very good.
Last point…Broncos got hosed by UM in The Big House. Replay officials saw what I saw and came to the wrong decision…guess they have friends in Ann Arbor. Shameful.

2 Likes

I don’t have much to add other than its incredibly frustrating to be non-competitive in these big games so often. I’m a college sports realist: I realize the gap in resources and talent between a good solid ACC team like Pitt and us. But the rate of which our team doesn’t even look like its competitive is not acceptable.

If we just want to be competitive in conference, winning games against peers, we can do that in the Missouri Valley (and enjoy a better league for hoops). The only reason to be FBS and the MAC is to compete with teams like Pitt, Wisconsin, and Rutgers (note I didn’t even bring up competing with actual powers despite what we’ve seen NIU and WMU do the last couple years. I literally can’t even imagine Miami doing that). I didn’t say beat, but compete (and win one occasionally). If we aren’t going to do that, lets save 8m a year in roster costs, direct some of it to men’s and women’s hoops and hockey, and move on. Its not like playing football against Ball St, Sac St, and EMU is that much more compelling to the average sports fan than Illinois State and the Dakotas.

4 Likes

A stat showing the ineptitude of this team yesterday.

https://x.com/optastats/status/2096373806625353917?s=46&t=F-WLIxbyYlhHo-puMzmVzw

1 Like