Miami vs UC Game Thread 2024

I didn’t love it given this specific game (we couldn’t do anything on the ground), but the go for two after you score in a 14 point game late has become the “standard”. You’ll see it all over college and NFL every week.

1 Like

Ok I stand corrected on that point - must be a very new thing

1 Like

Always go for two down 8 in the fourth. You play to win, not tie. We should be applauding him for doing something like that.

Brett can’t make that throw on the first drive.
Bevelhimer can’t drop the damn ball.
Salopek has to make a one on one tackle.
Can we please not have Strader give a ton of cushion?
Has anyone seen Ty Wise?

In other words, our best players need to be our best players.

8 Likes

How bout playing to win the first 55 minutes of the game? By giving up on hardheadedly trying to establish a run game up the middle when it’s clearly not there. By sending some blitzes so Sorsby doesn’t have 5 full seconds in the pocket on every drop back. By taking a 10 yard holding penalty and trusting your defense instead of letting them kick a long field goal.

3 Likes

The trenches have been wildly disappointing so far.

3 Likes

Thats a weak ass excuse from CM. Hows about BG don’t throw a chuck it into the middle of endzone, or we try running outside the Guards, or we try 5-10 yard passes.

6 Likes

Yeah, it has become a standard. One more chapter in a book that is mainly fiction. I have argued and argued with two of my best friends who are retired D1 head coaches that they too often give up common sense and go with trends or that fictional book. I tell them if they would have had me screaming in their headset “NO” they would have won more games.

3 Likes

Was really cool to see an actual college atmosphere in Yager (at least for a half). Everyone around me kept commenting how great the crowd was. Sadly, I fear it will likely be another 20 years until we see a crowd like that at Yager (they mentioned highest attendance in 20 years, I assume dating back to Ben’s last year).

Perfect storm for attendance with a great previous year, first home game, great weather, and UC as an opponent to bring in crowds. Really disappointing that the team couldn’t get a win and start to build something. I fear any good will from last year is basically going to be lost by the time an 0-3 team returns for UMass in a couple weeks.

3 Likes
  • Special teams were awful again. The botched snap will get the most attention, but it was a problem across the board. Their punter is an Australian who holds the ball, yet we didn’t bring any pressure against him until their fourth punt of the day, which meant we were consistently pinned deep. Our kick return average was 16. We didn’t come close to blocking either of the 50+ yard kicks.
  • Mozee has 24 yards on 13 carries this season. 7 of those yards came on a single rush to the outside, so he’s averaging 1.42 on carries between the tackles. Brunson, Downing, and Davis are a combined 17 carries for 72 yards (4.24 ypc), so it’s a problem entirely with Mozee
  • Going for two after the TD to try to cut it to 6 was absolutely the correct call. The logic for that strategy has been covered extensively, including on this board (Other college football games 2024 - #151 by Quinoaburger)
  • I would have kicked the FG on 4th down when the score was 24-16, but going for it was a defensible decision. The playcall was atrocious though
  • Why are students leaving en masse from a one possession game in the fourth quarter?
  • We don’t have the gameday ops infrastructure to deal with turnout like what we had today. I got to Oxford before 11:30 and still didn’t get to my seat until after the midpoint of the first quarter. I left before the final drive of the first half to get a drink because I was sweating and dehydrated and I didn’t get back until after the first drive of the second half
  • Last year we were outgained by 180 yards, but won because they got 24 points on 8 red zone trips and we got 24 points on 4 red zone trips. This year we were only outgained by 21 yards, but we lost because they got 14 points on 3 red zone trips and we only got 9 points on 4 red zone trips
  • We’re going to start 0-3, but based on the performances so far, we’re clearly a top 3-4 team in the conference at worst
4 Likes

Why does everyone keep assuming we’re going to lose to Notre Dame?? The hype will be back when a ranked school loses to an 0-2 MAC team for their second G5 loss of the season :joy:

2 Likes

If we completely re-design our offense maybe…

1 Like

At this time in the world, to not have WiFi when most tickets are digital and a lot of transactions at the concession stands involve using Apple or Google pay, it’s just unacceptable

Miami has enough CEO’s who graduated from Farmer. Just reach out to them, or any tech companies that can pump WiFi in during game days and tell them they can keep the data from all the people attending the game

3 Likes

Many stadiums have WiFi issues when thousands of people are using the network at the same time. Standard practice for live events these days is to add mobile tickets to your phone’s wallet before the game. Then you don’t have to worry about a WiFi connection at the gate.

4 Likes

True. If you run digital applications as an org or want to use them as a fan when thousands of people ping towers at once, it’s hard to get connectivity. But, so many sporting events worldwide deal with this and have solved it. We can.

1 Like

I’ll politely disagree with you. I was in Lexington last year when Alabama came to town. Never had one connectivity problem in Commonwealth Stadium and it was sold out.

1 Like

Chuck Martin revenge game???

1 Like

They probably have more money than Miami’s Athletic Department

2 Likes

I just don’t get the play calling of the slow developing insipid inside running plays with little Mozee…he couldn’t run against NW, and he couldn’t run against UC, either. He is tentative a d goes down easily. Yet he gets the majority of the carries.

Brett did get into more of a groove in the fourth quarter…gives me hope he will get better and better as the season goes on. Our receivers didn’t create much separation against UC, but McDonald made some great catches, and we should be able to do better against MAC competition.

As for the running game, need better blocking and a change of running back.

3 Likes

P.S. saw the YTD stats on the other thread for Larvadain and Amos…what a crying shame they listened to the wrong people and ended up being 3rd stringers at P5 schools instead of key cogs in our offense. I dare say if we had both those guys this year we’d be 2-0 right now. Such a waste for both them and Miami.

2 Likes

Their losses really hurt us.

Very curious how much money they received.

2 Likes