What Dorm Did You Live In?

Stanton 88-89
Hahne 89-92

96-97: Scott Hall
97-98: Hahne Hall (ended up not having a roommate)
Fall '98: Scott Hall (became upperclassman dorm)
Summer 99, Spring 00, and 00-01: Off-Campus

Back when the band practice field was across from Scott Hall – those of us in MUMB remember:

Jack Lyles or Dave Shaffer: “Face Scott Hall”
Marching Band: “Who?!?”

1 Like

Dennison 86-87
Mary Lyon 87-88
Hepburn 88-89
Village Green Apts.89-90

I took golf class my junior year. We used the last two of the greens from the old golf course for pitching and putting. They were immediately north of the Miami Inn. We also used the field between Withrow and the Miami Inn to hit full wedges. Bill Davidge, the hockey coach at the time, taught the class. One time, he caught a flyer and hit a ball that landed on the awning over the patio on the back of the Miami Inn. it sounded like a bomb went off. We laughed about that for weeks.

2 Likes

I took a golf class from Leeann Davidge (RIP) in the late 70s.

Anderson 95-96
Mary Lyon 96-98
McCracken 98-99

Important to note - my parents informed me that if I wanted to move off campus they would in no way contribute to anything but tuition. My books and any other expenses would be mine to pay (and I didn’t qualify for any student loans). However if I stayed in the dorms, they would pay for tuition, room, board, books and contribute to my spending money.

My freshman year I found the remnants of 2 greens. There was 1 over by Bachelor Hall in front of the parking lot in between trees. I could go back and hit an 8-iron in there without hitting anyone and anything. Then the other was behind Phillips and had a big bunker in front so you could get some good bunker practice in there.

Was Bachelor East Quad? Or was it up by the old Withrow. I can’t recall for the life of me.

Man, we really overlapped. I was Dennison 86-87, then Hepburn, then Village Green 88-90.

1 Like

Reid 85-86 (always said it had best location of all frosh dorms…too good as it turned out)
Hepburn 86-87
Swing 87-88
Candlewood & Ox Commons 88-89

Isn’t Bachelor right at Spring and Patterson, across from Shriver? I had like four awful Miami plan classes in that same stupid lecture hall off to the side.

1 Like

Yes, it is right across from Pulley Tower and Cook Field as well.

Davidge was a great great guy…a number of times we teamed up at Hueston Woods GC…he was a pretty good player back then

1 Like

Tyou! I can see it now that you describe it.
Ps, there was another legacy of the golf course I recall. Is the old nautitorium still there? I doubt it. For the youngers on this thread, at one time after MU built the new aquatics center they kept the old indoor pool around on north quad. I would imagine it’s no longer but at any rate, there was a putting green right next to it.

The old Natatorium is now a power plant. But the building is still there.

my childhood allergist played golf at miami in the 50’s…he described the location of the golf course as near where the miami inn was built (going back on ~40-45 of memory there)…however, the one map i could find, through the USGS, lists a golf course being located where Yager, Tennis, Field Hockey, Soccer and the Track sits today

i always thought the greens surrounding the Miami Inn (ca 1990) were from the old course, but apparently not…

There is a great website called Historical Aerials that one can use to track down the location of golf courses that no longer exist.

Based on the 1956 aerial, it appears the old Miami golf course was due north of the old Miami Field, which is the land now occupied by North quad and Millett Hall. The land currently occupied by Yager was farmland in 1956 and was not part of the golf course.

The 1984 and 1994 aerials show one green with two bunkers that still existed near the old Tennis Courts, which is near the current location of Marcum and Miami Inn. That is in line with the post by @JohnnyMac. Also, it does appear that green was part of the old golf course. It should be noted that old green disappeared sometime between the 1994 and 2004 aerials.

I can’t make sense of the post by @mz343 because the golf course was not near Bachelor or Phillips.

Does anyone know what year the golf course was built and if a renowned architect was involved?

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it was a par 3 or not, but the 1956 aerial shows a green just south of the intersection of Bonham and Shadowy Hills drive. Definitely a downhill hole there.

Bachelor: Home of the English majors!

1 Like

Dennison 3C, the RAs were Jim and Art.

Village Green #5 (I think). Roomed with a high school buddy, a guy in the band, and a friend from Mary Lyon. Partied with some guys upstairs that were intramural refs and went to Spring Break with the girls next door to them. I remember the old lady that was the landlord. She wasn’t impressed with our housecleaning skills.

2 Likes