What Dorm Did You Live In?

I was in Hepburn the first year it opened. Man am I old.

2 Likes

Dorsey 02-03
Frat house 03-04 (I’ll fight anybody who’s in a different frat)
Off-campus 04-06

Symmes 00-01
Scott/Reid (RA) 01-02
Symmes (RA) 02-03
Emerson (RA) 03-04
Fox & Hounds Apt. (MA) 04-05

2 Likes

Anderson 83-84
Swing 84-86
Hepburn 86-87

1 Like

I was in Dennison then Hepburn which was great as it was right by the tennis courts, Withrow and original Goggin (OG). Also, there used to be a golf hole not far from it and a couple friends of mine and I used to play it as a one hole course. No pin, so we would put a marker on the green (old tennis ball worked fine.) We’d have a one hole tournament there.

Reid 82-83
Reid 83-84 (R.A.)
Fraternity 84-85 and 85-86.

That hole was the last remaining remnant of the old Miami golf course that used to be where North Quad is today.

2 Likes

Blankies!

I had no idea there was a full course there. Must not have been regulation length.

My HS English teacher told us about blankies. And all the couples arising and heading back to the dorms to make curfew.

1 Like

What’s a blankie?

As I was told, basically an evening picnic date. Guy goes to girl’s dorm to pick her up. Instead of going to dinner, movie, etc., they head to the golf course and spread out a blanket. Maybe have some snacks, watch the stars, talk, or whatever… But spread out over the golf course. Don’t really see hardly any other people. (Lot of room on a golf course.) Until just before curfew when they all arise like zombies and head for the girls’ dorms to say good night and get everyone home before curfew.

My teacher graduated from Miami in the mid to late 1960s

2 Likes

Well described. If the young lady lived on the other side of campus, Western became a blankie destination.

1 Like

Based on what I was told (the course was gone by the time I was growing up in Oxford), the layout stretched over an area that is now North Quad, the baseball complex, and the old Miami Inn. I don’t recall if it was 9 or 18 holes, but I’d guess it was only 9. I think that big sledding hill behind Flower Hall was a downhill par 3.

1 Like

Not far behind you, skins66. Lived in Morris Hall during its first year.

1 Like

Morris was THE dorm when I got to Miami as it was the first dorm with air conditioning? We sweated it out in East Quad.

First two weeks of the year were hard but then it starts to get cold. Everyone had those big rectangular fans you could buy at Walmart. Unless you were in school during summer session I don’t imagine needing AC. Although maybe things are warmer these days.

Morris, 00-01
Brandon, 01-02
Then off campus

Stanton 88-89
Mary Lyon 89-90 & 90-91
Off campus house on Collins Ave 91-92

Anderson 74-75
Hepburn 75-76
Flower 76-77
Elliott 77-78

Elliott was the best- single rooms, all male, centrally located to classes, Miami Field, Goggin and Millett but especially Uptown where we were able to drag a pony keg from the U Shop during the great blizzard, when everything else was shut down.