We need an explanation

Based on what history? The program has been to all of two in its existence. I’m all for setting high expectations, but expecting the unrealistic isn’t helpful. If Miami is regularly in the top half of the NCHC, makes the tournament more often than not and makes a FF once a decade, I’ll be happy.

2 Likes

Yea, H99, you can take that position. I’m 73 and may not have the luxury of waiting 10 years for a FF. But I don’t disagree with you. Set a high bar and hope for some lucky bounces.
As I say about some fball/bball games, I want to win by 30, but I’ll happy if we win by one.

It’s been a couple days for me to absorb this news about cancelling the UC series, and I am still just as upset about it as when I first read about it. Maybe was inevitable as many here have suggested, but it is still a shame that today’s realities of college football make this great rivalry unsustainable. It sucks on so many levels, especially the impact of losing this game on our home schedule every 3 years.

7 Likes

Will OSU continue to play a home game each season with Ohio,
Miami, B G,Kent, or Toledo? Is this not required by the Ohio State Legislature?

https://x.com/jackschmelznger/status/1817922906514469043

4 Likes

No, OSU is not required to play an in-state school annually, and OSU athletics does not receive any subsidy from the State.

I hear you. And my intention isn’t to criticize Sayler. I think his tenure has overall been a good one. Women’s sports. Football (although Hockey has collapsed and men’s basketball still hasn’t recovered, hopefully both change.)

However I don’t think it’s unreasonable for fans (especially the ones on this board) to at least be curious why a beloved, 130 year old local rivalry with two home games remaining after this year is abruptly coming to an end. We may never get a full explanation, but ending the UC game isn’t a small thing to people who care about Miami football. Maybe we’re not entitled to a detailed explanation - I don’t expect that - but something beyond the release we got would be nice. Was it economics? What role did UC play? Was it something else?

2 Likes

We’re already playing 2 buy games. Saying this is adding an additional big 10 road game is inaccurate, and I’d argue almost intentionally.

This season Miami is playing 3 P4 teams, 1 FCS team, and 0 G5 programs. Replacing the UC game is what allowed adding UNLV.

The biggest problem Miami has had is getting accurately ranked against other G5 teams in spite of rolling through most of the MAC. G5 teams Miami has played:

• UMass (2024) (NU, UC, ND)
  • UMass (2023) (UM, UC)
  • Army (2021)
  • Marshall (2018)
  • Army (2018)
  • Marshall (2017)
  • WKU (2016)

Miami has been playing multiple buy games already and has lost consistent G5 opponents in the process. It’s also led to several seasons with only 5 home games. Getting rid of the home/away/neutral rotation gives Miami a chance to play decent G5 programs and keep getting paid from the P4 programs they do play.

3 Likes

Well so much for planning a Vegas trip in ‘26 or ‘27.

2 Likes

Why should Miami give up a true home and home series with rival less than 30 miles away? We don’t need to stoop to their demands.

I agree that playing 3 road power 4 games is a bad idea. In fact that was my argument

I personally think UC is heading for a tough stretch with their coach and new conference but i could be wrong

I would rather have a 5-5-3 with UC than a home and home with 13 mwc schools but the reality is that if UC isnt coming to Oxford anymore than I understand why we cant do it. I dont have a desire to play at Nippert every year for sure

I am less enamored with peer G5 games than others since we already have 8 G5s on the schedule. To me there is little difference between Western Kentucky and Western Michigan

If we have to play two money games a year then I guess this is the best we can do.

But as a fan I would have much rather have had home Missouri vs home Unlv and at UC then at Rutgers. I know it was out of our control but I dont think the 2025 is more appealing- I think I am allowed to be frustrated by it

3 Likes

I agree. They have to do a better job getting OOC home games vs good teams. Why can’t they take a 2 for 1 with someone

2 Likes

Like UC?? :grin:

1 Like

I stand corrected. According to FBSchedules.com: non conference opponents @ OSU are
2024: Akron,Western,Marshall
2025: Ohio,Grambling,TX
2026: Testicle Tech,Can’t State,at TX
2027: BG,New Hampshire,AL
2028: Buffalo, N.Ill.,at AL
2029:Nevada,Charlotte
2030 Ga.away
2031: Ga. Home
2035: BC
2036: at BC
2032,2033,2034 no listed non conference games.
“ Future schedules and opponents are subject to change”

1 Like

Many P4 schools have already moved away from any return games. Most P4 conferences are strongly urging members not to ever play a G5 on the road. For the players and students it would be great to say they’ll have at least 1 P4 home game in their 4 yrs but I’m skeptical MU will be able to pull it off. The UC arrangement might have been the best they could hope for in the current climate. Within 3 yrs it’ll all be ripped apart again anyway so who know what’ll happen then.

6 Likes

Yep. I’ll be 84 if I survive until that UNLV away game. Get me a game at Ole Miss in 26 or 27!

2 Likes

You can be frustrated by it but you’d be wrong in grouping WMU with WKU. Good G5 programs are fun to watch and WKU is one of them. Historically explosive offenses. WMU doesn’t have much going yet with their new coach and outside of 2016 aren’t ever really relevant nationally

Also WKU has much more aesthetically pleasing uniforms

I have a feeling more details will eventually come out. Almost always does at some point or another. As for the criticism component that was more of a general observation across multiple threads I just thought it was a good time to throw a reminder out there that the job isn’t easy and we can all be a bit more patient

Looks like we got $750K from Mizzou:

https://x.com/jackschmelznger/status/1817922906514469043?s=46&t=oallIeFEhKH9sCOJPSKdyw

1 Like

I have two feelings about this:

1. Miami dropped the series. Then, I think we all deserve a full and public explanation from the university leadership on why this decision was made.

2. UC dropped the series. Then, I would like to see a hard push by Miami alum legislators in the statehouse to ask why. Ask why this is in the good of the state. And do something about it. Looking at you, Governor.

2 Likes