UC GAME

Morris looking like Lamont Hannah on that dunk!

2 Likes

Correctā€¦generally embarrassing performance defensively and just forcing so many bad passessā€¦oh well been busy couple weeks, looks like I did not miss muchā€¦sadly, awhile until weā€™ll be really competitive.

We spotted them 10 to 15 points on TOs, empty possessions, but our compete is poor as our poise, recognition on Dā€¦ Lewis unfortunately having his worst-case game.

PS NKU beat UC handilyā€¦so losing by 30, is not a good sign or ā€œmoral victory.ā€ 100 pointsā€¦ouch.

1 Like

100 points is ridiculous. That has to considered a failure at this point of the season. Steele has said more than once he wants to have the toughest team in the MAC. Long way to go.

On the bright side the next three games are winnable.

Give this staff time. Still not convinced all the pieces we need are in place. Nor likely does anyone on this board. We will improve. Some of the stats pass the eye test. Certainly not enough yet.

3 Likes

I donā€™t mind losing (though I donā€™t like it) because Iā€™m aware this is a rebuild/transition season. I was told that even though we might not be good this season, our defense should be improved. What happened?

I thought Morris had a nice game tonight.

2 Likes

If youā€™re playing man defense, itā€™s about effort as much as anything. I have to believe this team has just been unable to adjust to the speed of college ball.

2 Likes

And that might be the deal right there. Coach has a system he believes in and we have to build to it.
Ps. How did Anderson only average 1.9 points at CSU? Guy is always a double double threat imo

From Redhawk65 last April:

Extrapolated over 40 minutes heā€™d average a double- double with his numbers. Obviously a guy his size isnā€™t playing 40 minutes, but could he give us 18-20?

2 Likes

I feel a tiny bit validated as you all know way more about hoops than I do. Maybe Iā€™m improving? Letā€™s run the picket fence!

1 Like

Think he was up to 375 @ CSU, hence the 2 points.

The guy is skilled, but depends in part, maybe a large part on weight, conditioning.

2 Likes

Anderson in shape is an excellent player. Itā€™s undeniable.

1 Like

I was at the game and sat close up in the first few rows.

UC was taller, longer, stronger and quicker.

This was my assessment in the games first minute.

Of course, it does not help when the other team shoots 60% from 3 point range and you have 17 turnovers.

We were just overmatched in every way.

Lairy, Safford and Mirambeaux looked like the only guys who were half way comfortable at playing in a game at that level of competition.

Kamari looked promising in his first minutes this year.

Morris had what I thought was his best game. The pace and intensity of the game wore Anderson down a few times. He still needs to lose more weight.

He must be wearing XXXL shorts and they are still tight.

4 Likes

I didnt understand our defensive philosophy last night. But if we play teams with athletic big guys I am not sure Mirambeaux can play in the game. He was out of position non stop yesterday sometimes cause he just couldnt get down the floor

Another thing I noticed was we just went with 8 guys yesterday so Tatum, Yofan, Stevens, Rylee and Etzler are out of the rotation for now

2 Likes

Early we forced O as wellā€¦

At least Billy Smith settled in 2nd half and Morris did some good thingsā€¦Kamari will help a bunch.

Our Defense against any legit team is suspect, which means guys are just wide open most games, but the teams that can finish or shoot, itā€™s like practiceā€¦Indiana State, Marshall, UCā€¦probably IU all shot ~60%.

Thatā€™s a bit disappointingā€¦but with frosh playing somewhat explainable.

2 Likes

As Lax said, UC was bigger, stronger, more physical. We donā€™t do well against those types of teams. But we did win the battle on the boards. Biggest 2 problems last night were turnovers and an absolutely porous D, and I would expect Steele to talk about both of those in his presser. Liked what I saw of Morris. I do think this 8 man rotation will make some noise in MAC play. From here on out I would expect Yofan, Etzler, Tatum and Rylee to get spot minutes, which is ok. Teams need depth. Etzlerā€™s minutes maybe increase as he plays a little more and gets into game shape. Focus now should be on Bellarmine and Wright State, two winnable DI games.

1 Like

Steele:

ā€œThis game is a fork in the road for our defense. We have to play more physical. More toughness. Donā€™t tell me ā€œcoach I want to do thisā€, show me!ā€

Steele is spot on!

3 Likes

That RH65 was onto something. Whatever happened to him? :wink:

1 Like

Another watershed moment - until we can hang 100 on the Stinkinā€™ Bearcats in our newly refurbished arena.

2 Likes