UC GAME

I have hopes our 7’1" C, Reece Potter, is 2nd rated player in Kentucky on one recruiting service, plus, a solid 6’10" PF from Chicago will provide us size. Coach Owens was right when he said if we wanted to “play up” against top competition, we needed to “get bigger”. He was right. He just was unable to recruit size. Steele did it before his first game at Miami.
Big things gonna happen (literally and figuratively!).

3 Likes

Some really good comments on this game and where we are. One thing about our schedules over recent years that has bothered me is the lack of competitive games. After Evansville it is just blowout after blowout. This is not the way to bring a team along. We are not learning how to fight play after play and who to go to in big moments, how to milk the clock when holding leads, etc.

As myself and a few other posters have been saying, this team should settle into an 8 man rotation with others used only in special situations. It has been unfortunate that we have had so many of our best players out and because of that and the lack of competitive games we are not as ready for MAC play as we should be.

Last night Lewis was terrible ( I thought he had been our best overall player before that. Maybe he was coming back before he was fully healthy?). Williams adds a lot and he might end up being our best player. Hopefully everyone will be available vs Bellermlne and Wright State and we can finally play comparable talent and start to come together.

2 Likes

As you know, time together playing real games is the answer. No shortcuts. But the defense must improve. So, we take some beatings now, knowing we have talent, a good staff, and a very strong signed recruiting class. As I told a good friend and Miamian, we are five meters into a one hundred meter dash to being what we want to be.
I absolutely despise UC. But I watched that entire game, as always, despite wanting the agony to end. But it was an opportunity to watch our guys play. I have seen them start to play instinctively, as I posted before. More cutters found with assists for easy baskets. Individually, Morris played well last night. Much improved. Under control. And he has some real physical skills. Smith continues to improve, become more confident. As is Mabrey. Anderson continues to be a surprise. Kamari back is very important. And more. But I think they are learning and improving. Getting everybody playing, including Harrison, would certainly help.
We’re moving in the right direction. That’s what we must take away.

2 Likes

Not sure if I agree with this. Miami has given up 50+ points in a half 4 times this year. That’s 25% of the time in our 8 D1 games and 40% in our 5 games against teams in the top 300. Our defense is a joke and is not getting better. I’m not sold on the pack line system that Steele is running, especially with how good D1 players are at shooting 3’s nowadays.

How many times had we given up a 50 burger in the last 10 years? I don’t remember that happening very often, even under terrible defensive teams coached by Owens and Cooper.

2 Likes

I understand what your saying. Am I happy getting whacked by the team I hate more than any other? No. Is the d a mess (rhetorical question)? It was miserable watching it. But I am taking a longer view (difficult at 72). Steele is a veteran coach with a six year contract. The shelves were bare or swept clean. Five scholarship players returned. The best were hurt or ineligible. He has a long term vision. This is the very early stages of his plan. I, for one, like what I have seen so far. Not for this year, or even next. But thereafter, his recruiting skills and the skills of his staff will determine where we end up. I just think it will be a much better place than where we are now. .

3 Likes

I agree. I thought we closed out the three point shooters better than we did against Indiana State, at least early. That said, the D was not close to what it needs to be–in contrast to UC’s great team D on us. They are just a much better team right now. It shows our guys where they need to be, and how hard they have to work to get there. Some of our guys have shown flashes of what they will become (e.g. Billy Smith, Mabry, and Morris). Some big time reinforcements will be coming next year, and I think the staff is on track. It just won’t be a quick fix.

2 Likes

Oh, and the stat of the game: The announcers said Mirambeaux weighed 395 points when he arrived on campus. As a guard, I would be getting out of the way tout suite if I saw him coming down the lane at me!

1 Like

Uc kinda sucked last year and we almost won. Their improvement could soon be ours.

1 Like

Our issue next year will lie with the PG, I think we have two coming in that can play right away, and they will have to…but that will be limiting factor, otherwise we should improve dramatically in all other areas.

That is if Anderson is back and 290#

1 Like

Why do you make excuses for Steele?

Excuses? What excuses? You mean recognizing that he has been coach for what–8+ months? His team has played how many games? How many new players? How many returning players? What impact injuries had/have on our won-lost? Many more similar examples/facts.
And exactly what was your expectation for this season based on all these facts? I’m trying to be realistic. We have a very good core now. Next year he brings in a great class, including a PG and a 7’1" C, either could be named Mr. Basketball in Kentucky.
So, what excuses, exactly?

3 Likes