UC at Miami Wednesday at 7...RED OUT!

Just got back to Indy. Best Miami crowd in 15 years…that’s all I can process right now. So sick of losing these games

6 Likes

Add the heartbreaking FH tournament loss at Michigan with 2 seconds left to play to the Kent football loss and the Cincinnati basketball loss and we’ve got a trifecta of Miami misery. But hey! It’s always better to be competitive than to get blown out. Kudos to more than 2,600 students for showing up snd making a difference!

I know we aren’t about the moral victories around here and that ending was a nut punch, but I’m at least encouraged by the fact that we got absolutely killed on the glass by probably a more talented team and we still had two good looks to win at the end.

I won’t get into “if he would have done that” or “he should have made that”. No point to it. A devastating heartbreaking loss. But this game would have made Charlie Coles proud. Relentless defense, team ball on offense, and most importantly a never die attitude. Very proud of how the team played against a massive UC team. Next up Indiana State. Let’s kick their ass.

2 Likes

OUCH! My oldest friend is a UC grad. I have had nothing to cheer about vs UC since 2005 sadly.

Two FTs from Dalonte or one rebound at half was the difference.

Jack probably should of played Ames more as he limited offense rebounds for UC just taking up space…

Is what it is…you can cheer this, this was a moral victory if we go on to have a nice season…maybe this motivates for a Clemson upset.

But a couple things will have to happen:

1. Dalonte more around rim
  2. A bit less Dae Dae dribbling
  3. ICL or Kamari step up…if not, more Myja and he needs to shoot
  4. Eli has a big game about every 6 or 7 or so games…needs to be every 3 or 4
  5. Beck needs to get back and contribute

After that…Dalonte, DD and of course Mekhi just need to be the great talents they are…

1 Like

You can do the “would have, should have” argument with every single play in a 1-point game. 1 missed shot by UC or 1 made bucket by Miami at any point would have made the difference.

My opinion only- but I disagree. To say a missed free throw (or 3) that happened when the score was 14-9 or whatever was the difference in the game fails to mention the 100 plays that were meaningful. Both teams play completely differently if the score is different.

the missed rebound at the end of the half seemed big- but in reality there were 19 other missed rebounds- including the first free throw under 25 seconds

There is no way to know but my guess is that if Brown made his free throws or Harrison got that rebound- someway/somehow we still would have lost by 1 point.

2 Likes

Of course…but not really in my examples … and I only mention this to drive home the day after, everyone should be pretty excited about the effort and game.

Beyond the minutiae…a 94% FT shooter missed (not a 50, not a 75%) all three FTs in a row, and an easy rebound was fumbled…really the difference (5 to 8 points) in a great game, that we had in control for a decent period.

I think you are missing the point RS, I’m not blaming them…these two plays Miami was largely and/or solely in charge of…everything you mention has so many moving parts, so no.

Yeah but again you can do that with every possession. You picked out 2 things that stick out from our side. But if UC made half of its free throw attempts, we would have had to force up a 3 to tie at the end. What about Ayah’s block that just so happened to go straight to UC for a Robert Horry-style 3? Every single play could be dissected that way. That’s also assuming everything plays out exactly the same way for the rest of the game.

Short version: great effort, stinging loss.

1 Like

If we had made 1 more free throw, UC would have held the ball for the last shot. No single thing cost us the game. It was a collection of many things. UC’s FT shooting was atrocious. We had nothing to do with that. It was a good college basketball game and we came up short against one of our biggest rivals that we hadn’t played in a decade.

2 Likes

Everytime someone posts on this thread I get a notification in my email. 150 of them now. How do I get that feature tuned off?

I was at the game. Our rebounding could use serious work, but we lost by 1 not 30 as I was expecting. The excitement in the crowd was great to see. Millet needs a new sound system or something - I could barely make out the fight song. But I know that’s on a long list of things Millet needs. I saw the last two minutes of Wally vs XU in the 90s as every big game during his time can be summed up “I had a group project meeting that night” I was surprised how into the Firecrackers the students were.

Go to your preferences and select “Email”. There are some options for receiving email alerts.

1 Like

The only real regret that I have is that 6-7 minute stretch where we just chucked up shitty shot after shitty shot (wild layups among the trees that got swatted or off rhythm threes). That kind of stuff happens in every game but man it was noticeable and hurt last night.

2 Likes

FWIW (which is not much), the chance that a 94% FT shooter misses 3 straight, is 0.02%.

Although once he missed the 1st one, he’s no longer 94%.

Dick - You get emails on any thread you’ve initiated.I’ve gotten them on mine, too.

1 Like

we did have recruits at the UC game

Basketball is pretty incredible travel wise if you are Miami because in just the state of Ohio I believe there are at least 14 division one games I would be very happy if we played any and all those schools plus close proximity Indiana, Kentucky and Michigan ones. If Huggy Bear would get us on the schedule then maybe you go to West Virginia. Otherwise nothing else there. That’s easily a schedule of 20 something games not counting done repeated for conference play.

Eerie parallel. 6-1 Utah Valley was somehow able to schedule a super rare home game against BYU for last night that was played in front of a rocking, packed house of just over 7,000 fans. The difference: they were able to pull off the upset win in OT to move to 7-1. It just feels like it’s never us.

1 Like