Toledo Game Week 2023

MiamiU1984: I was living in Denver in the early 80’s and came back to Oxford for that 1982 Homecoming game vs. BG…both teams were undefeated and CBS televised the game throughout the Midwest (Dave Diles was on the broadcast team). Exciting game and 17-12 (I think) win for Miami before a sell out crowd.

Unfortunately Miami didn’t maintain the momentum and finished 7-4…game vs. UC at PB Stadium was broadcast nationally by TBS, but we lost .

Dave Diles, Bobcats’ own!

2 Likes

Diles used to anchor the Prudential College Football Scoreboard Show after the single televised Saturday afternoon game. Women walked around the stage and manually updated scores as Diles talked. They’d post scores for the likes of Bates vs Middlebury and Susquehanna vs Moravian. It was priceless.

If you missed the show you probably had to wait until the newspaper was delivered Sunday morning. If you were looking for a score from out West, you’d probably need to wait for the Monday paper.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, CFB on Saturday’s when there was interest in winning your conference and getting to the limited number of Bowl games. Besides Dave Dial, loved Keith JAackSon, Jim McKay and Chris Schenkel on ABC, Musberger on CBS. My favorite thing about those broadcasts in 60s and 70s was when they had the player intro’s on the field right before kickoff. Player would come in front of field camera holding his helmet, and intro himself: Rob Carpenter, Jr. - Lancaster, Ohio,

CFB at its best.

4 Likes

Shoot down the Rockets!

Miami vs Toledo is one of the games on ESPN Pickem this week. So far 66% have picked us to win.

Adam Rittenberg’s take on ESPN.com

“I’ve got another one. Miami … of Ohio. Coach Chuck Martin’s team knows to take a knee when victory is secure and has won six straight after opening with a 38-3 loss to the other Miami. Martin told me his team was actually overconfident going to the U – “Our kids’ mindset was: ‘We’re gonna kick their ass,’” he said – and then shifted its mentality to simply winning. In Week 3, the RedHawks beat Cincinnati, in overtime, to claim the Victory Bell for the first time since 2005. “It was everything,” Martin said. “We know they’re a talented team, we hadn’t beat them in forever, and then how we did it, it was a wild game, start to finish, so many big moments.” Miami’s typically strong defense has met the standard, while the offense, which lagged a bit last year as quarterback Brett Gabbert fought a collarbone injury, is rising. Gabbert has 1,455 pass yards and 14 touchdowns, and three receivers have 18 or more receptions. “Brett really makes us go,” Martin told me. “Great thrower, really good pocket presence, makes plays out of the pocket even though he’s not really known as a runner. We lost two of our top three wideouts, but we’ve got a couple of young guys and a couple of transfers playing well, so improved play on the perimeter, for sure.”

2 Likes

should be shuttling students from uptown to the game. no excuses

5 Likes
7 Likes

Nice article

2 Likes

1 Like

Good effort promoting the game. Hoping for a great crowd.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/chrisfallica/status/1715194059071885765

1 Like

Key to this game will be pressuring Toledo’s QB, even if we don’t sack him, and keeping him contained, meaning not letting him escape the pocket for long runs.

2 Likes

Guess we’re not running the ball today.

Who is 10? He will be tired today.

How many students stay away to avoid sunstroke?

Not a great start for our punter. Inopportune time for a bad game.

Omg - we have no clue how to be fans. They just panned the Miami sections on the west side and 1/3 of the people are wearing blue jackets.

And wtf is that annoying sound. Reminds me of those damned vuvuzelas that had in South Africa!

Their speed is a problem.