Toledo Game Week 2023

Think CFN made a error .Shows UT game by game with a loss at Miami ?

So maybe we hop in the time machine and go back to the mid-90s (or earlier) and tie Toledo.

1 Like

I noticed that last year as well. I don’t get it??

I know Brick Street showed the UC game and had advertised they will be showing other games.

2 Likes

Years of bad or so-so teams lead to student apathy. The old traditions of going to the game have withered away. Frats and sororities game day traditions went from pregame drinkin’ and going to ghe game to drinkin’ all day at the house and watching whoever on cable. Or heading uptown to drink cheap at beat the clock drunk fests and watching someone else. Might be that bars don’t want to show Miami games because if it’s a close game they might be tempted to leave and go to the game. My two sons went to UK and were frat boys and even with so-so teams there was a strong tradition of going to games with frats and sororities. Being in the SEC helps draw them no doubt but it was a regular event.

2 Likes

Standard home uniform for homecoming…

White helmet, red jersey, white pants

3 Likes

Traditional!

Good choice.

3 Likes

That is helpful for away games but for home games they really need to advertise “come from 1-4 and then everyone move to Yager etc.” but they won’t, because the owner wouldn’t ever want to sacrifice any of his dollars to help the school. Heard from another student that [the other student] asked a guy in a frat if they would be going to the game and the answer was “No we are throwing a party instead.”

The bar is so low here.

1 Like

Back in the day -before non-stop cable TV games - going to the football games used to be much-anticipated, dress-up date events. Homecoming meant buying your date a big white mum corsage with red ribbons and a big red M in the middle. There was usually a headliner concert at Millet that evening. I know that would be hard for today’s students to imagine. Students don’t dress up much unless it’s the women in the tiny dresses heading to the bars for the evening. Dating is far less of a common practice. Groups of friends tend to move around campus in pods. It’s a shame we can’t get them to wander down to Yager regularly for about 3-4 hours three or four times each fall.

2 Likes

Agreed. Plus it doesn’t really to any good to show home games. If anything it disincentivizes students from going.

1 Like

The answer to me involves tricking the students: we create a social media rumor that says there’s a buried treasure somewhere under the stands at Yeager worth millions. We even put the coordinates of it out there and a riddle that was left by John Pont or someother famous coach. Students like money, so they show up and look. It’s colossal attendance, but no one finds anything. They keep showing up and still no treasure until, it’s revealed the “treasure” was watching a 6-1, 7-1, 8-1 team. Yet they all missed it looking for fake treasure. It’s a life lesson that will stay with them for the rest of their days.

As a student from 80-84 Homecoming was still a big deal. Parade Friday night down High Street,

Good crowds for the game. Miami went 5-6, 8-2-1, 7-4 and 4-7 during my years. Tom Reed the coach 1st 3 years then Tim Rose.

No Bowl game but some memorable games like vs BG in 82.

Gamification :slight_smile:

I think we need Bluto and D-Day going into the dorms and spraying people with fire extinguishers to get them out of their rooms and down to the game.

4 Likes

Well, we’ve got D-day and I think he might do it!

2 Likes

There is such a gigantic black hole in alumni athletic support from Ben to present, with a few single highlight seasons in between. Year after year of losing undergrads and that many graduating classes. The disparity is evident on this board.

It has to be affecting the university’s coffers as well, but no one in those offices seems interested in connecting the dots.

1 Like

New here. Of all the message boards, this isnt one ive needed to chime in on for lack of playing the Redhawks! This might as well be a bowl game, as only a few staffers have even been to Oxford. Candle’s first year as a WR coach was in 09, and a fumble out of the endzone kept Toledo from a bowl that season. The last time the Rockets were not eligible for one.

Any parking/ tailgating recomendations? Ive been to every MAC stadium but Yager and Peden. Looks to be a banger of a game. Cheers ahead of time.

7 Likes

That ‘09 game was our lone win that season. We also hit a 55-yard FG to go up (I think) 24-7 at the half before hanging on by a thread at the end.

Edit: Boom… my memory is still good

Miami/Toledo from 2009

This just landed in my mail box…finally they’re trying really hard.

What an exciting start to the 2023 Miami Football season! We are excited about the final three home games at Yager Stadium while beginning to prepare for next season. Current season ticket holders are invited to place their deposits to lock in their spot at Yager Stadium for the 2024 season starting TODAY! For just a $25 deposit per ticket, you can make sure you are a part of every snap next season.

To help us pack Yager Stadium this weekend, any deposits placed before Friday, Oct. 20 at 12 p.m. ET will also receive up to four complimentary tickets for the Toledo game on Saturday to bring family, friends, neighbors, etc. to help cheer on the team!

1 Like

This one is big for many reasons, but since Ohio lost to NIU last week, a win against Toledo still gives us a slim chance at the East even if we lose to OU.

1 Like