Time for a new OC

If we lose to Akron, the seat gets very warm

I would ask the same question I asked about the Jack Owens regime-

Is this coaching performance up to the standards Miami supposedly sets for other disciplines in the university?

2 Likes

I admittedly caught parts of the game. Sporadically in first half and 3rd quarter through our first drive after the TD by western in 3rd quarter

I couldnā€™t focus on the play calling as much as how bad our line play was

Their defensive end was thrashing our tackles

4 Likes

@HawkLBacker Thatā€™s something Iā€™ve been noticing, too. Our O line seems to have plateaued, doesnā€™t seem to be improving with added experience. Maybe losing Vaughn was a bigger loss than we could absorb. The line does a decent job of pass protect but never seems to blow open many holes for our running backs, no matter the level of competition. We keep running between the tackles expecting holes to open but they donā€™t.

Owens didnā€™t coach good offense or good defense IMO. We lived and died with 3-point shooting.

1 Like

Question: If CM were fired at the end of the year (and I am not saying he should be), would you say:

A. Good move-time for a change
B. Bad move-he was successful
C. He should have been given at least one more year-too many injuries
D. Really a new coach wonā€™t make a difference

He should not be let go. He needs to make changes to his staff

2 Likes

Miamiā€™s front porch needs a big overhaulā€¦itā€™s falling further apart each weekā€¦looks to be on the verge of collapse.

2 Likes

Looks like the basketball portion of the porch has already been remodeled and some major repairs have been made to the hockey alcove. But the most visible portion of the front porch looks quite sad - like it needs quite a significant remodel. The chief porch maintenance person seems frustrated - somewhat aware itā€™s no longer completely serviceable but unsure of how to make it better. He has an inventory of problems but no list of potential solutions.

2 Likes

Answer, sadly, D. Thank

4 Likes

At this juncture, one would think that Sayler has to engage Chuck in a serious ā€œsit downā€ to discuss the current sad state of affairs on offense.

Taking our emotionalism out of this, hard cold facts would reveal that our offensive ineptitude has been on many cases when up against other MAC foes who have had porous defenses against all other opponents. Thereā€™s just no explaining it away on the loss of our #1 QBā€¦it runs much deeper and to most here it certainly seems to be play calling and lack of in game adjustments (particularly at halftime).

Either Chuck gets more involved in the offensive scheme and tells Koehler to get with it, or he needs to find a new OC. It would seem to me that a change in personnel may be warranted if we are to (partially) salvage this season and sneak into a bowl somehow. Then the issue becomes who would be the OC if Koehler is dismissedā€¦I have no good answers for that query.

4 Likes

10 points vesus Western fricking Michigan this yearā€¦

1 Like

Heā€™s Chuckā€™s buddy. He doesnā€™t go until Saylor tells Chuck.

1 Like

We have been hurt bad by injuries. OL, QB, etcā€¦ Brett is probably still limited. Probably why we didnā€™t go deep as much. No need to panic and get rid of coaches that built this program back. Yet anyway.6-6 or 7-5 with a bowl win are still attainable.

From what Iā€™ve seen over the last two weeks, 6-6 or 7-5 is wishful thinking, maybe even delusional.

7 Likes

So nobody else weā€™ve played has had to deal with injuries? Seriously? WMU used a freshman QB against us yesterday who had never started a game because their starting QB1 got knocked out last week. Time to take off the rose colored glasses. The glass is not half full at Miami.

6 Likes

I donā€™t compare other teams. Apples/oranges. Their QB was afforded excellent protection. They ran a basic RPO heavy offense. Nothing spectacular. We just didnā€™t stop them, specifically on 3rd down. The play calling on our side left a lot to be desired. I donā€™t wear glasses. I did coach football for 20 plus years. I donā€™t know it all, maybe not much. However, we will finish strong. We do have a good coaching staff.

2 Likes

By my estimation, Chuck is a nice guy and gets good kids to come to Miami, some with very decent FB skills.

Chuck also gets credit for digging Miami FB out of a Black Hole into which it had fallen through the totally inept prior coaching of Donā€™t.

Chuck got Miami to the humpā€¦but not really over the hump and for that reason he and his staff should be replaced, unless 6-6 is an acceptable standard which should never be acceptable at a school like Miami. Even giving credit for three seasons with 6 MAC wins does not excuse an overall ā€œBlahā€ record in sum.

Minimally, Miamiā€™s average 5-year standard ought to be 8-4 (or 9-3 for superior level expectations), with an expectation of at least one P-5 win every 2-3 years considering the fact that Miami plays an average of 2 P-5 opponents each year. The MAC is an overall mediocre league with only Toledo very recently and Western before that showing even short-term chopsā€¦so the league is basically wide open for one team to exert domination and emerge a la Boise, etcā€¦a consistent decade-long record of excellence.

7 Likes

A.

Allowing 6-6 or 7-5 to be an acceptable bar to isā€¦ unacceptable. That is mediocrity at its finest. That is the Bengals philosophy up to 2021 season. Whereas the Steelers were consistent winners. Over the long term which performance and expectations are better? I say Steelers, and I am not a Steelers fan and live in the heart of Bengal land in Cincy.
8 or 9 wins in a year should be the standard.

4 Likes