Time for a new OC

I don’t see that happening. I do see the offense open back up with Gabbert back. I would like to see Aveon on the field as a RB or slot receiver. I would also like to see backup QBS get some game reps. Lord willing Gabbert stays healthy. However, we must have a QB that can run our entire offense if QB1 goes down. Plus, I bet QB1 is only back for a year. We need to groom the next guy. We have a lot to be excited about in ‘23!

3 Likes

@Ballcoach1 The overall strategy obviously involves QB1 shutting it down this season to preserve the redshirt, testing interest briefly in the portal, withdrawing and playing in Oxford next year and probably jumping back in the portal in Dec 2023. I’m wondering what impact it’s going to have on our current QB room prospects.

2 Likes

Yes although I am as pleased as the rest of you about Gabbert returning, I am highly doubtful he will end up playing two more years for the RedHawks.

1 Like

Does anyone think Henry Hesson, Joe Humphries and/or Matt McLeod are going to sit in the QB room for two more years without substantial playing time opportunities? How the Hell do you keep your recruits in today’s environment?

1 Like

Cash Money

1 Like

@MUHawk0810 That seems to be the direction it’s heading. State universities are now managing professional sports franchises, most as loss-leaders, to promote their overall identity.

I’ll be really curious to see how networks absorb the ballooning costs (will ESPN end up having a B10 package, or will they force the costs into the overall price in order to inflate interest?)

“Yeah, no,” I wasn’t talking about this year.

1 Like

It depends on a lot of things we don’t know. How good are they? How they were raised. Meaning, to be patient, fight through adversity. Or “ you deserve it now”. Did these kids get recruited enough in high school to still have options in the portal? Only Aveon has film. Then, just how happy and comfortable they are with the school, friends, city. My guess is one probably won’t be happy to sit another year.

1 Like

In today’s climate it also depends on money that might be on the table. As sleazy as that sounds, it’s what our favorite sport has become. Some kids are more attracted by the cash than others. Kids from financially flush households might not be as influenced as kids from low income families. Josh Pate had a rather scathing piece on the portal today on his YouTube blog. He pointed out that 40% of the kids are going to lose on the portal gamble and that the gamble is more than a one or two year gamble…it could be a 40 year mistake. Pate suggested conferences themselves - especially the rich ones - should establish NIL trusts to keep kids at their chosen schools with the promise of a financial reward for staying and graduating.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. I live here … the atmosphere is comparable - or even better than ‘03 Miami. College Game Day was amazing. It was 5* but packed.

We’re eons from Oxford being a consideration for espn…why would a 2nd year QB who’s just a few games from his 2nd national championship appearance want to move to a 6 win MAC team with 75% less attendance and less national exposure?

All that said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Vigen got serious FBS consideration.

2 Likes

Vigen’s young OC with his success in running a 2 QB offense might just be in the mix for that HC vacancy in Sacramento.

Right off the Chuck Martin coaching tree.

Cradle rocks!

2 Likes

So are we really not making a move here? Maybe they’re just waiting because of all the work to do around signing day and not wanting to fire a guy right before Christmas, but normally you’d think we would have heard something by now.

In his latest presser Chuck seemed to imply our offensive problems were attributable to injuries. Doesn’t seem like he’s unhappy with Koehler.

But he also said changes had to be made because if we scored a few more points, we would’ve had a better record.

1 Like

I think he’s convinced that Gabbert will solve that.

2 Likes

And a healthy Gabbert surely would lead to more points. But will he have a season where he starts every game like his Freshman year.

Based on history, no.

Sadly, if no change is made, I expect another season like this one. High expectations by some, low results. We are stuck in a time warp.

6 Likes