Time for a new OC

I don’t get how we can have the same OC, Stupid

1 Like

Chuck and staff do just enough to keep their jobs…we are pretty much a .500 program now, and w money woes as they are, administration is not gonna do a buyout and take a chance on a new staff.

With that said, if Gabbert can come back and stay healthy, I do expect some “heat” if we don’t have a much better season (which I would define as 8 regular season wins and a bowl win).

We can also win 8 games if we have a back up QB that can run our entire offense. Most on this board agree that Aveon is not a QB. We also agree, he’s a great leader and player. Maybe a better leader than Gabbert. However, we have to be able to stretch the field and pass with regular success. We gutted out several games. Credit to CM and his players. They are mentally tough. The defense was stellar and kept us in games. The OC was not perfect, but what plays do you call when your QB can’t throw the ball with accuracy? I would like to see Aveon as a receiver or RB. He must be on the field for most offensive snaps. Gabbert staying healthy is unlikely. Get QB2 ready. Gabbert might actually leave Miami someday. We need the next guy ready.

5 Likes

One of the responsibilities of the OC is to put people into the correct position to help the team win. It seems as if this was not done. Aveon should be on the field, but we need an average or slightly better QB that can complete passes to open receivers. I hope Gabbert can stay healthy, but history tells me otherwise. If Aveon is our only back up QB option next year, something is really wrong.

2 Likes

2014: 108/128 overall; 9/13 MAC
2015: 121/128 overall; 12/13 MAC
2016: 101/128 overall; 8/12 MAC
2017: 96/130 overall; 6/12 MAC
2018: 90/130 overall; 5/12 MAC
2019: 111/130 overall; 10/12 MAC
2020: 103/127 overall; 9/12 MAC
2021: 64/130 overall; 4/12 MAC
2022: 128/131 overall; 12/12 MAC

Genuinely unthinkable to me that this isn’t enough for the program to move on.

1 Like

Isn’t that saying if we had any type of offense we should be dominating most of our schedule?

1 Like

Well, by any statistical metric that would signify a successful and competent OC, I doubt Koehler meets any of them. Probably comes down to $.

I have a question about the stats you have cited. Are these total yards per game, points per game or total yards per play or points per play. Pace of play makes a huge difference in total yardage and in total points. A game with Kent under Coach Lewis might have 25 more plays than a game under Martin. Martin also deliberately “shortens the game” when leading in the second half or when way behind in the 4th quarter. If comparing total points or total yards, Martin coached teams are going to look better on defense and worse on offense.

SP+ offensive rating. Basically SOS adjusted offensive efficiency.

2 Likes

So does that mean it measures yards per play and not per game?

It isn’t a direct measure of yardage, but it does adjust results on a per play and per drive basis.

Coach, we really should be able to be on the top 3rd of the MAC each and every year, and effectively compete for the MAC crown most every year…it’s past time for Chuck to get us out of our misery of a .500 program in arguably the FBS’ weakest division. Next year is that time!

1 Like

Montana St had 63 points and 638 yards of offense today btw

1 Like

Here is a rough summary of the offensive experience (not including GA positions) for the OCs currently at the University of Miami, University of Toledo, and Miami. It may not be 100% accurate but it should be relatively close:

Offensive Experience:

University of Houston: OC for 3 years (ranked 15th nationally)
Southern Miss: OC for 3 years (averaged 424 yds per game)
WVU: OC for 3 years (ranked 12th nationally in offense)
Stephen F Austin University : OC for 2 years
Millsaps College: OC for 1 year
Playing career: Played QB and WR at Wingate University

Toledo: Co-OC and OL for 2 years
Toledo: OL/Running Game Coordinator for 3 years
Heidelberg: HC for 8 years
Thomas More College: HC for 2 years
Thomas More College: OC for 4 years
Playing Career: Two time all-American at Mount Union; Division III Lineman of the Year

Miami: TE coach for 8 years
Wittenberg: QB coach for 1 year
Whitehall high school: QB coach for varsity; JV OC for 3 years
Playing career: Did not play football in college

I thought it was absolute genius when Haywood hired Reese and Vaas to be the DC and OC respectively back in the day. Brought in guys with tremendous experience.

3 Likes

How about Gus Ragland for OC?

I was waiting for some to drop his name. Yes, but let him get a few more years under his belt.

How about him:

Taylor Housewright begins his third season as Montana State’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2023 after engineering the most dynamic rushing offense in the FCS. While rebuilding an offensive line that lost four starters and working through a rash of injuries at running back - the team started five different players at that position - in 2022, Housewright and the offensive staff constructed the top rushing offense in the FCS. The dual-quarterback system of Tommy Mellott (1,068 yards rushing and 1,698 yards passing) and Sean Chambers (862 rushing, 612 passing) fueled the nation’s most creative offense. In 2021, MSU used a quarterback transition to Mellott after the regular season to advance to the FCS National Championship Game for the first time since 1984. Housewright spent the 2020 season as an analyst for offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead at Oregon, and the year before that worked in quality control for Moorhead when at Mississippi State. In 2018, Housewright was an offensive graduate assistant at Wyoming under then-Cowboys offensive coordinator Brent Vigen, working with running backs and tight ends. A former star quarterback at Ashland University in Ohio, he began his coaching career as a GA at Miami (Ohio) in 2013-14, then moved to Wittenberg as receivers coach. He coached receivers in 2016 and defensive backs in 2017 at his alma mater. Housewright was Division II All-American and Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference’s Offensive Player of the Year as a senior in 2012, when he finished fifth in Harlan Hill Trophy voting as DII’s top player.

Personal Information
Birth Date: May 30, 1989
Hometown: Ashland, Ohio
Education: Ashland ‘13
Player: Four-year letterman, three-year starting QB… 1st Team AFCA All-America and GLIAC Player of the Year in 2012
Family: Wife Geri

Coaching Timeline
2021-present: Montana State, Offensive Coordinator/QBs
2020: Oregon, Offensive Analyst
2019: Mississippi State, Offensive Quality Control
2018: Wyoming, Offensive GA (RBs/TEs)
2016-17: Ashland, WRs (2016)/DBs (2017)
2015: Wittenberg, WRs
2013-14: Miami (Ohio), GA (QBs in 2013, DBs in 2014)

Coaching Accomplishments
Montana State2022: FCS Semifinals, Big Sky Champions…2nd in FCS in rushing offense (311.9), 3rd in scoring offense (42.9), 4th in total offense (495.1) and sacks allowed (1.29), and 21st in passing efficiency (149.76) in 2022. 2021: 2nd in the FCS in sacks allowed (0.5), 4th in rushing (227.2), 5th in fewest turnovers (2), 11th in passing efficiency (128.66), 12th in scoring offense (27.2), and 13th in total offense (385.2)
Oregon – 25th in final AP poll, beating USC for Pac 12 Championship and playing Iowa State in Fiesta Bowl… offensive analyst for FBS’ 14th-ranked passing efficiency team
Mississippi State – Offensive Quality Control for nation’s No. 21 rushing offense… MSU played Louisville in Music City Bowl
Wyoming – Coached RB Nico Evans, whose 132.5 yards per game was fourth in FBS and led Mountain West
Ashland – Ashland won GLIAC South Division title in 2016 and league crown in 2017, with a combined record of 20-4 (18-2 in GLIAC)… advanced to NCAA DII Super Region III finals in 2017
Wittenberg – Finished 8-2, 3rd place in the North Coast Athletic Conference in 2015… WR Corey Stump (74 catches, 1,082 yards) caught school record 16 passes at Hiram
Miami (Ohio) – DB Quinten Rollins was MAC Defensive Player of the Year, and was drafted in the second round by Green Bay

3 Likes

Hoping that could be a long term plan, but then again that means CM until he retires.

Yea Us!

Taylor Housewright he’s probably headed for bigger things at this point?

Messed that up, but that’s to your post QBurg…This guy would now be unattainable and move on beyond the Miami/MAC?

2 Likes