Time for a new OC

Random note, but I drove past Lock Haven, PA earlier today. Made sure to give a very sarcastic salute in honor of our dude John Klacik and his 20-game losing streak or whatever it was.

2 Likes

So, itā€™s obviously a scheduling issue! :joy:

1 Like

My brother and his new wife live in Williamsport. Beautiful area and a nice drive from state college

3 Likes

Very nice part of Pa. Iā€™m from the area. I do miss the PSU games. We had season tickets.

Just announced today that Tom Manning is being let go by Iowa State. He had put together a really good offense there for a number of years before it fell off a cliff this season. Previously OL coach at Toledo for 4 seasons.

Mark Whipple isnā€™t being retained by Matt Rhule at Nebraska. Rough season for them overall, but they battled injuries and the offense actually averaged 28 ppg when they werenā€™t facing top 5 defenses. He also put together one of the best offenses in the country at Pitt last season and always had pretty good offenses when he was HC at UMass in the MAC.

No idea if weā€™d be able to get either guy.

4 Likes

Pittsburgh needs to hire Mark Whipple and get him ready to replace Canada tomorrow.

2 Likes

Someone on here mentioned the two QB system that Montana State has been employing. A lot of times both are on the field at both times. One is a very good runner. The other is a better passer.

Can you imagine both lining up in shotgun and you donā€™t know who is going to take the snap? You have a wildcat option but the kid can throw. You also have the pure pass threat to spread the defense.

I have not seen what they are doing but Montana State plays William & Mary in FCS quarterfinals tonight at 10EST.

Now that Brett is coming back and we have Aveon it would seem we have the right pieces to do something creative next year.

Interestingly, Montana Stateā€™s OC and QB is Taylor Housewright who started his coaching career with Chuck as a grad assistant. Only 33 years olds but he has done well for himself.

Montana State is averaging 44 points per game and over 500 yards of offense per game.

Below are my comments from the Other Games thread two hours ago. They do line their QB up in the backfield side by side and the snap can go to either. Mallet is the best passer but heā€™s an elusive and sneaky fast runner too. The other guy throws an occasional pass to keep the defense off guard but Chambers mostly runs over a lot of people. Theyā€™ll be playing in clear 19 degree weather tonightā€¦

ā€œMontana Stateā€™s dual QB offense is on display tonight at 10:30 on ESPN2ā€¦vs William & Mary from the CAA. Live from Bozeman - John Dutton and his favorite Senator should be there - in a warm suite with a full bottle of Bulleitā€

1 Like

Need an innovative OC to make this happen.

2 Likes

Maybe BuffaloTrace

2 Likes

I think Johnā€™s got several brands on that bar by the huge stone fireplace - maybe even some of my favorite, 40 Creek Canadian.

1 Like

High West is nice for those who imbibe whisky, but doggone it, Cutty Sark. Or Canadian Mist. Itā€™s just as nice at 25 degrees out.

1 Like

Agreed

Montana is where this offense belongsā€¦.far away from Oxford

Okā€¦itā€™s starting to come alive. They do have a good pace.

Big Cat-Little Cat formation. Both QB in the backfield. Snap to Touchdown Tommy. TD! 41-0 early in the third quarter.

Theyā€™d probably beat us 45-20.

1 Like

Consider offering Tommy Mellott from Montana St. as XFER QB. 1000+/1000+ this season.
If not playing as dual threat, he could be nice back up QB and very good athlete.

@JHVMUFBAlum Heā€™s got no reason to want to come play for us. Playing in an FCS national championship run probably this year and the next two. Bigger and more enthusiastic fan base in Bobcat Stadium. Heā€™s from Butte. His folks can drive 90 miles - about an hour in Montana terms - to watch him play. Heā€™ll never have to buy a drink in any saloon in Montana not in Missoula and has an open invitation from the Duttons to visit the Yellowstone ranch.

Bobcatsā€™ two QB offense jumped to a 55 point lead last night against an 11-1 William and Mary team at the end of 3. Tribe scored a lone TD against Montana State subs with 3 minutes left to make the final score 55-7. Proof you can have an explosive offense and a solid defense simultaneously.

Not in this staffā€™s vocabulary.

1 Like

So true