Real Football 2023 - Miami at Miami

I’m a little surprised but don’t know these new guys as well. I am sure the coaches know best here. However, I still say JT is a big part of offense by end of year.

Unless of course he wins. Then, he might become a legend. I kinda like his odds.

Yep.The Canes planed in mailing it in against us while fhey focused on A&M. Now we’re on their radar. Now they’re the ones being “disrespected.” Not smart. Not necessary.

What, now we’re upset that an athlete says he thinks he’s going to win?

10 Likes

Yes.

if you’ve ever been intimately involved in sports of any kind you know it’s never a good thing to come anywhere close to publicly “guaranteeing a win” a La Joe Namath in ‘68 - especially when you’re a 17 point dog going into their house. The goal in game planning is to keep the favorite team as unmotivated as possible.

4 Likes

I’m real sure the Miami (FL) kids were just flying around the practice field today cause Brett said we’re going to show them who the real Miami is. I mean, c’mon.

7 Likes

Brett’s answer may have been a bit cheeky, but let’s not pretend he stood up on the podium and said that he guarantees a victory and will jump off a bridge if we don’t. It was an answer basically saying that he’s confident in our team and that we’ll show up to play a good game (if not win) this Friday. I’d rather have that than a player equivalent to Martin’s 2019 OSU recess comments, or slobbering over 2021 Army.

5 Likes

Exactly. What’s he supposed to say?

“Boy, I hope they don’t demolish us. Just don’t break us physically and emotionally and make sure the check clears and this will be a win for everybody…”

You’re a competitor. You’re supposed to expect you have a chance to win regardless of the odds. If you’re not confident in your ability and the abilities of your teammates, then what the heck are you even doing?

7 Likes

It’s also one thing when it’s unprovoked and the player goes out of his way to stir the pot. That wasn’t this. It was an idiot reporter trying to bait a player into giving him a quote to run with.

2 Likes

He should say we’re looking forward to the chance to play a team with such a storied past. We hope we can matchup well with them and we’ll definitely give it our best shot. Definitely not we’re going to show them who the “real Miami is.”

1 Like

Yes. And Brett took the bait. Like Ballcoach1 said. He’s got a target on his back now.

1 Like

There is a touch of Mike Leach eccentricity. Just a touch.

1 Like

My point being, anyone with half a brain can watch that and realize he wasn’t trying to disrespect Miami.

At the end of the day, all of this stuff goes out the window when the game actually starts.

3 Likes

He’s not a lawyer. He’s a college quarterback. If he backs it up, he will be a legend. And if he doesn’t, life will go on.

2 Likes

Actually I understand Brett Gabbert off camera pointed to left field and said “I’m hitting this one for you kid”, and threw the reporter Mean Joe Greene’s jersey!!

4 Likes

Oh I would say coach Cristobal showed them the clip. He doesn’t want anyone overlooking the RedHawks. So yeah, that’s exactly what happened.

1 Like

Hahahaha, yes. I never put that together. Definitely.

1 Like

CM said it exactly right. Look, I’m not saying Brett did anything wrong. I just don’t want players giving them anything at all. Especially from my somewhat fragile QB. We don’t need to give anyone a reason to go after him any harder. Players absolutely 100% look for things about the other team to piss them off. Football 101.

2 Likes

Does it really matter? Some of us remember when talk of a Miami U upset over a big time program wasn’t crazy talk. Now, it’s just a matter of take your beating, get your check, thanks for playing. Times have changed.

1 Like

Maybe for you and seemingly a lot of others around here.

Did anyone watch Miami (FL) last year? There were 5-7. They got smoked by MTSU, that was by no means a mid major power house. They absolutely got their tits lit by any respectable team they played and struggled to score versus teams with a worse defense than us.

Don’t hurt your hammy jumping back on the bandwagon when it turns out Brett was right.

4 Likes