Portal

Agree - but collectives to this point have not been allowed to be controlled by the schools. The original intent of NIL was the pure form of IP exploitation (good way). Due to no guardrails it morphed into the collective structure. I don’t like it but it’s what is legally allowed - today.

1 Like

tl,dr version: It’s a shitshow.

3 Likes

Believing that NIL collectives are not controlled/coordinated with the schools is like thinking that soft money PAC’s are not controlled/coordinated with political campaigns.

I am sure Graham Nicholson just decided to commit to Alabama or Woullard to Oklahoma and take NIL money because the collective reached out.

Let’s not confuse form and substance here.

1 Like

So where’s our collective??

1 Like

Heard through the grapevine an announcement is coming in the near future, but sounds like it’s been setup and they’re in the initial fundraising round. Being led by a former football player.

4 Likes

Former Kent State and UCLA backup QB Colin Schlee is back in the portal.

1 Like

That’s awesome news! Can’t wait to contribute and see it

2 Likes

Ha - very well aware how it works and didnt claim it works as intended or legislated, but you can’t put a cap on something that isn’t “officially” happening. Rules / legislation need to change first - rev sharing will prob be a domino with the pending decision / settlement, NIL is already partially coming in house (sourcing deals and resources - but no direct pmts) and some states are legislating payments allowable like VA last week. Employment is a potential disaster that may divide college athletics forever.

1 Like

247 is showing Mondrell Dean and Kevin Davis entering the portal in the last week.

Entering the transfer portal immediately after Spring practice makes me wonder if the player received fewer reps than he expected in Spring ball and/or did someone behind him on the depth chart make a splash in Spring ball?

1 Like

Confirmed: Graham Nicholson couldn’t handle the immense pressure of being Miami’s kicker and had to transfer down to a program where it’s okay to not to win the Groza. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I suspect that can be the case. But, these entries (as well as Nicholson) feel like the exact opposite – the downstream effect of other programs losing impact players or realizing in their own spring ball that they lack sufficient personnel.

1 Like

Re: Collective - Take a look at my UMass post from Saturday

Only 38 of the 477 players who have entered the portal since it opened again on April 16 are shown as having firm transfer commitments on 24/7.

Unless you’ve been cut, a bird in the hand might be worth far more than the proverbial bird in the bush.

2 Likes

Most of the kids I know ,or know of in the portal currently, were cut. Then there are the players that are pissed because they didn’t get spring practice reps, then of course the ones chasing $$. Would love for someone smarter than me. ( low bar ) to track those categories.

3 Likes

So, anonymously, lay out the scenario of a kid that got cut. Had a scholarship that wasn’t renewed for anything other than bad grades/poor public behavior

1 Like

I’m guessing most of the low three stars who haven’t put anything on tape and all of the two stars are going to either be scholarship or walk-on players at an FCS, an HBCU or a D2 if the decide they want to keep playing.

1 Like

With Jerry Kill’s decision to step down following last season, New Mexico State has had 38 players enter the portal, including former Miami Safety Mekhi Miller who is now at Cincinnati.

1 Like

There’s usually not a lot to the conversation. The cuts happen during the players individual exit meetings that take place at the end of the season and after the Spring Games. A DE I’m close to that will be Junior was just simply told “ we like you but have 6 DE’s and need to free up room ( scholarship $$) for other positions. The coaches usually offer to help them find a new team. Make calls , provide reference etc….Covid years, redshirts, and these guys playing 6-7 years has caused a log jam of players and has made this situation worse.

4 Likes