Portal

I think you nailed that. That’s exactly what’s happening. :clap::clap::clap:

Well that sucks!

1 Like

When does this transfer portal timing end. I feel like such a fool from being excited about our playoff chances from back in December when “everybody was coming back”

3 Likes

April 30

2 Likes

Can’t get here quick enough!

2 Likes

Losing KD is a big hit to the offense.He was probably the most versatile back in our RB by committee offense.

1 Like

Agree- big loss- he will be missing a great opportunity to put up big numbers this coming year with Brett

2 Likes

Is the portal open until April 30 for basketball as well? Or is it only open for football at this point?

Might be behind the paywall but it features Miami, Nicholson and CM.

2 Likes

Don’t disagree on better off outside NCAA - but I think all schools would be. It’s toast in my opinion- new rules needed for Divisions (P60, G60, FCS). Rev sharing, payments, minimum # sports, schollys, coaches, recruiting, portal, APR, etc. Problem is they all kind of still want to play each other so need reasonably similar guardrails. I really like the relegation concept but not how it was recently proposed - not sure bigs will ever agree though.

3 Likes

Agree, but still experience coming back and honestly, I can’t wait to see the new guys. I think some folks need to talk themselves off a cliff. We had a considerable amount of talent stay and the incoming players look awesome. Now let’s get in the NIL game. Would be nice if MU could compete.

3 Likes

247 Sports just posted there are 3,508 FBS players in the portal as I type this. That is a new record. I’m afraid there are going to be a lot of kids standing when the music stops.

1 Like

In my opinion, the players who keep School hopping are not doing themselves a favor. You still have to stick around long enough to earn your starting spot, earn your touches on the field, earn the respect of your teammates and coaches, etc. Nobody is guaranteed a starting spot and a feature role and number of touches verbally. It all can change real fast. If Amos wants his best chance to reach the NFL, assuming that is his goal, my opinion is his best chance is at Miami where he already has/had the most opportunities to be featured, rack up stats, and get noticed. As a college coach or pro coach, Im not even sure I’d want to recruit a player who I knew would jump in the portal at the first hint he might not get the ball. Toledo’s Penny Boone is finding this out as well. At this point, Penny and Amos might both be lost in the shuffle and off of the NFL radar when they both could be racking up highlights and stats in the MAC in the upcoming season and get all the touches and attention they want.

5 Likes

Probably 75% of them.

1 Like

Still a lot to be excited about. Returning the whole OL Senior QB, and a lot of the defense. Our portal adds look good too

5 Likes

I think a lot of them are simply gambling on a chance to make some NIL money in their Junior and/or Senior years - as a hedge against the likely prospect that they might not make any money at all in the NFL. For many, that’s become their most likely way to cash in on their football careers. Sometimes the portal pays off that way -like for Nicholson and Woulard. The jury is still out on Amos and I don’t think Warren has landed anything yet.

I think Aveon just wanted to go someplace where he could step down a level or two and reasonably expect to start for a year or two. He’s either #1 or 2 at Alabama A&M after Spring ball. I don’t think A&M has much NIL $. They have 36 transfers on the roster, six from the MAC. I amagine most just went there to play, rather than for money.

3 Likes

Alabama’s #3 (now) Kicker just entered the portal. Imagine that!

1 Like

The boys on Cover3 said today that first line defensive tackles are going for between $600-900k for a single Senior or Grad school season.

1 Like

Is there a website that tracks NIL money? is it public information at public schools and non-disclosed at private schools like Notre Dame? Is there any cap at all on this? Wild West.

There really needs to be an NIL/salary cap. But for that to happen it would take years of court hearings and lawsuits, a governing body would have to be created to control it, and, most importantly, schools and players would have to collectively agree to it, which won’t happen.

1 Like