Portal

Do we anticipate anyone else jumping in the portal after the spring scrimmage?

I guess Brett is just going to have to stay healthy and throw for 50 TDs next season. Make our place kicker irrelevant. He can do it. Let’s go.

@NESCACDAD You don’t think he will get a degree from Alabama?

Phil, I understand the frustration. Heck, I share it. I have always felt that an athlete who came to Miami and then spent his whole collegiate career in Oxford was “my guy”. I felt that we shared something and I was in their corner for the rest of their days.

It is hard to feel the same about someone who transfers in or out. But, how the transfer portal will impact G5 football quality and competitiveness is still uncertain. For every great player we lose I think it is likely we will see a P5 player who can contribute transfer in.

NIL money is not coming from the university. The fair questions about university support for atheletics are not dramatically altered by recent events.

Is going to class required at Alabama?

I don’t know what DeBoer will do, but Saban ran a tight ship.

You should become MU’s President, top donor or student body and stop it then. Because they’ve all been doing it for years and their support continues to grow, not slow.
What do they all know that you don’t?
Honest question - I dont know the data but believe there must be strong evidence because I don’t see many/any schools (full of smart ppl) de-emphasizing athletics - yet.

Depends on Alabama’s academic rules. Many schools have had a two year requirement for obtaining a degree.

And students can easily do something about that by…wait for it…going to the games. Although I never hear them complaining about athletics on their bill because they simply don’t care enough

1 Like

Miami adds a CB via the portal. Luke Evans from Mississippi State. Was a three star coming out of HS with a great offer list. Originally committed to UC, but flipped to MSU when Fickell left. Should have 4 years left

5 Likes

The portal taketh and the portal giveth. So we traded Amos for Evans.

I feel like we should also get cash considerations (for NIL purposes) and/or rights to a future 4th round pick.

4 Likes

Going to class is mandatory from K-4 in Alabama.

Great acquisition…could start very, very soon.

Georgia and Penn State offers.

Father played at UC, which may explain original commitment.

Edit was minor. Very minor.

1 Like

Also Fickell was churning out some very good DB’s at that time. Wouldn’t blame any CB for turning down bigger offers to go play for him. Glad to have him end up in Oxford.

4 Likes

As has been stated before, Chuck clearly does well with the portal. Hopefully Evans is another stud.

3 Likes

Solid student, too!

4 Likes

Official

https://x.com/mikerodak/status/1782212819422781868?s=46&t=Mwc894NmZi2sl3ixPUgjFA

1 Like