Portal

And?? We have a new ST coach since then. What if he doesn’t vibe with our new ST Coach and feels the other one is better for his development

How many people here would turn down a job offer tomorrow for the same role doing the same work at a different employer for an extra $100,000? How about an extra $200,000?

20 years ago, people were expected to be loyal to their employer. This is just the trickle down of that to college athletics. I don’t see why anyone would harbor a grudge about someone getting a substantially better offer and taking it. College athletics is now a job.

Whether it be Graham or Amos or everyone who does it in the future, good for them. Get your money. Its unfortunate for Miami, but the new reality is that mid-major FBS football is now akin to AAA baseball. If you don’t like that reality, time to move on from supporting Miami. I don’t think the system will collapse. It will eventually lead to an official separation of the SEC/Big 10 “pro college athletics” from the rest. That separation exists now unofficially, eventually, it will become a real thing. The Alabama and Michigan money will not dry up. The gap will widen. In 10 years, the MAC will be closer to the Pioneer league (where Dayton, Butler, etc. play) than the Big Ten.

6 Likes

hooiserhawk should students be funding it then? Should we have student fees (which is at almost every institution) to fund athletes making money

3 Likes

Or maybe the 60 teams still playing football in G5 ten years from now become the Spring Football League with a ripe TV contract.

1 Like

100% agree. I would only suggest that Miami and the MAC will more resemble the Patriot League ( 65 scholarships ) than the the Pioneer which gives zero scholarships. They will need to refocus their recruiting efforts on kids who have been passed over by the Super Conference, but want to play 3 or 4 years and be appreciative of a scholarship. The sooner the G5s come to this conclusion the better.

2 Likes

That’s fine. People are still going to be, and are allowed to be, frustrated.

Maybe he’s not greedy but he or his family needed the money? Maybe if he started out at Miami on scholarship he would have stayed. Don’t forget that he believed in Miami before they believed in him. Maybe he feels going power 5 gives him a better shot at NFL? None of it matters now. The portal giveth and the portal taketh away. NIL is and will continue be a train wreck and ultimately setting these kids up for failure. NCAA has to cap this and get ahold of now. What a friggin mess!

2 Likes

We can throw out all the hypotheticals. And I don’t begrudge anybody their money. But if this is the system, the students of Miami need not be paying thousands a year to subsidize athletics. That should end yesterday. And I can’t blame fans and alumni who don’t want to give money to this system.

There are two sides to this coin.

8 Likes

Situations are often complex and the details are largely unseen by outside eyes. But Graham came to Miami from a private high school in Cincinnati so I’m fairly certain a lack of resources probably isn’t as critical a problem for him as it is for some of our other players.

But the lure of a big one year pay check is unquestionably a siren song to many.

Personally, if I were having grand success on a team projected to be good again this season that is scheduled to play at Notre Dame and going to college at a campus near my family home where I was a rising senior, I don’t think I would jump in the portal after spring ball.

I’m perfectly OK with kids jumping early in their careers and I support the ones who leave as soon as they’ve obtained their degree. I’m not so sure about leaving with one year left to get the sheepskin. If I remember correctly, most high caliber colleges used to have a requirement of two years of attendance to obtain a degree. If that is still the case, transferring as a Senior would seem to be a setback.

Regardless, this is the ridiculous situation CFB finds itself in in 2024. I agree with you it needs to be fixed.

3 Likes

I’m no author, but I think it would be fascinating to “follow” a couple players in their portal journey. What is their motivation? Who is influencing their decision? What is the eventual outcome?

6 Likes

I have thought of that as well. I think it would be interesting to go back a couple of years when the portal started and see who they are , where they are, and how they got there.

That’s kind of my point too, who knows why he left?

1 Like

I’m disappointed as is everyone. The thing that pisses me off is his timing. This is a big weekend in Oxford. He’s a crown jewel of the program. Virtually all in attendance would point him out and mention his achievements. So, why, Graham, did you decide to enter the portal one damn day before our spring event? Did the school that bought you tell you that you had an hour to decide? If your offer was on the table earlier this week or last week, why not wait?
And yes, muhawk, we can still tell people that IN THE PAST, we had an award winner. But it will not be acknowledged more than maybe once a game by any announcer not named Steve Baker. No mention in preseason/game day media. He’s gone and forgotten as a Miami AA.
Too bad. Would have added a great deal of credibility to our program.

3 Likes

Why shouldn’t Miami subsidize athletics because players are just employees who can leave? I don’t get what one has to do with the other. Its still Miami sports just like it was 10 years ago. Dining employees can take new jobs. Professors can take new jobs. Administrators can take new jobs. Rec Center employees can take new jobs. When Miami invests in a professor’s research and then they leave for a more prestigious post, does that mean the money was wasted?

3 Likes

To add on to this, I haven’t heard people say the same thing when administrators and coaches make a great deal of money from athletics and leave for better jobs.

Schools spend money on athletics because they think it’s worthwhile for them: for alumni/student engagement, marketing, enrollment at some struggling schools, etc. I think the arms race against massive TV deals have raised fees for many schools way above where they should be, but I don’t see that changing until the benefits of athletics to schools no longer outweigh the costs.

Graham left for Alabama - the amount of money has not leaked out yet; however, it has to be a lot, because back in December when he was in the portal he was offered $100,000 by Oregon, and he turned it down.

5 Likes

Also, the front end of the Rourke story getting $250,000 is that Indiania U lost their quarterback to UC for $400,000.

1 Like

As for administrators and coaches who make big money and leave “for better jobs”: Yes, they leave for better “jobs”. I don’t think many think of athletes as working at a “job”. In the new reality, that may be true… But so far no one has ever spoken about athletes as “having a job” when they go to a U/college. They are supposedly going to college to learn and prepare for a job/vocation. Athletes don’t get 401k. They don’t get pensions. They don’t get worker’s comp when injured. Yes, a very small percentage of D1, D2, D3, athletes learn a sport to get a job playing that sport. At that point, they “have a job”, whether it is MLB, NBA, NHL, or NFL.
Does Brett Gabbert have a “job”? No. Does Blaine Gabbert have a “job”? Yes. Why the difference? Each play football. Each play QB. Will Brett have a “job” in football? I would like to think so, but I doubt it.
So, I don’t think the two should be equated. Coaches also get fired and have to go find a new “job”. SA graduate and most have to go out and find a job in their chosen field.

Like I speculated–Alabama. Now I have another reason to hate the NIL, the Big 10/SEC, and the P5’s who can buy a player to fill their roster.

3 Likes

I see no way he could pass that up.

2 Likes