Portal

I’d be inclined to think Quez could come back. Coach Martin loves his guys that stay in the program for multiple years. That being said I don’t know if he would be interested in coming back.

Amos’ tweet suggests that there is little interest out there for his services or that most rosters are now full/complete, at least at the P5 (or is it P4 now?) level, which I assume is the level he’s aiming for. If he doesn’t end up on someone’s fall roster let this be a cautionary tale about jumping into the portal with thousands of others when you already have a nice home that needs you.

7 Likes

If I’m Chuck I absolutely let him come back if he wants to if only to prevent him from landing on another MAC school’s roster.

Or will it be P2 after Clemson and FSU jump to the BIG10?

He’s from Georgia and his mom has been battling breast cancer. I assumed he wanted to attend school and play closer to home. Who knows.

1 Like

Well, he definitely had an early offer from UNC, but apparently no assurance of being the featured back as they had another good RB returning.

2 Likes

Yep. Omarion is going to be their featured back but maybe the bird in the hand (a damned fine bird) might have been far better thst the elusive bird in the bush.

1 Like

He would definitely be a featured back in Oxford.
:wink:

1 Like

Yep. Especially is he was an enrolled student there. Academics hardly seems relevant these days - well behind playing time, NIL, TV exposure and possibly playing close to friends and family.

Assuming you are talking about Rashad. There’s a lot more that hasn’t been publicized but what I will say is he needs to put the shovel down. I’m not sure Coach Martin will let him back. It’s been a messy couple months

3 Likes

Intriguing comments for sure!

Bingo

A friend of mine has a son who plays D1 football. His coach’s stance is if you enter the portal, he’ll wish you well. But returning is no longer an option.

1 Like

That was CM’s philosophy until Gabbert. Now it’s case by case.

1 Like

It seems whatever is going on might have impacted his options elsewhere, as well. A lot of blogs listed a combination of UNC, Tennessee, Nebraska, NC State and UC as possibilities. The only publicized offer was from UNC. Is he still enrolled at Miami?

I was just having this discussion with a few other Miami fans. Starting QB who knows the offense? An All-American? Probably worth bringing back. But other situations? I don’t see it. ~50% of players who enter the portal don’t find a new home. That’s the one area players have to think about before jumping. Once the musical chairs are full, if you don’t have a spot then you’re screwed. I think you have to be willing to say, “you made your bed, now you have to lie in it.”

I know it sounds harsh, but this is the negative side of the portal.

2 Likes

Thank you for the context Dr. Cakes. You know more about this stuff than most any of us do. I’m sorry to hear if there’s any animosity. Amos was a huge part of our success. I sorta wish he and Chuck could just go have a beer/soda/sasparilla and bury the hatchet. Life is too short.

1 Like

Also Brett announced his return to Miami like two weeks after entering the portal, not three months or so. Chuck seems like the kind of guy who’d be sympathetic to a player saying “I entered the portal but the grass isn’t always greener, I want to come back” (especially someone as critical to our team as Brett), but not someone who may have burned their bridges and comes crawling back if the portal backfires.

3 Likes

I think I agree that letting Amos back would be a terrible precedent but maybe better than the guys that leave and then come back a year later (like Ali Ali).

Still every decision that Coach Martin has to made for the best thing for Miami football. Amos was huge for us last year. Probably the most important offensive player

I am not privy to the things he is doing or saying but I doubt he is back

1 Like

The Miami University website still lists Amos as a student.

3 Likes