Portal

I think part of what is being lost here, or not discussed, is these players are actually making a financial decision. Think of how many times they have been told “99% of you will never play in the NFL”. And that is true. So why not cash out in college and get whatever money you can. 100K now is certainly better than 0 later. And while I don’t like this system one bit, that is the current shitty system we have and I can’t fault a 22 year old from wanting to pocket 100K or whatever pre taxes. And this doesn’t change what I have said before that no matter what NIL money G5 can come up with it likely won’t match the money the P5 can, and the “prestige” (and I put that in quotes for a reason) of playing P5 for a year.

4 Likes

That’s been my impression. 99% of them will never make a dime on an NFL roster.

1 Like

If you go undrafted but get brought into training camp as an undrafted free agent, you make money. Prolly more than some of these NIL’s because even though they all seem big, they are not. You also make money if you play CFL or XFL. I think the kids getting seduced for a couple bucks now could stay and likely have those opps if not drafted at Miami. We had a MU WR on the Bengals training camp roster last year. Curious what he made.

2 Likes

I have heard 6 figure numbers for some of our guys who have entered the portal. I hardly call that “a couple of bucks”.

I will state again, quite bluntly, I hate this fucking system. I think it sucks for fans and for mid majors. Basically we are a glorified farm system that gets zero compensation for developing players for the “major leagues”. It is the system in place now, and it sucks. But much as I would like to criticize the players for leaving, I find that hard to do, as given their choices, I would probably take the money too. Now I will say, if any of those players told CM they were staying and then jumped into the portal, I don’t have much respect for that.

11 Likes

I hate it as well. If someone is offering 500k who am I to say the kid shouldn’t jump. Hell, I’d pop the champers myself in honor of them. My personal suspicion is the money ends up being far less. Too much opacity on that end. Someone said as much in an earlier post about all the hidden language about making a starting position, being on x amount of plays/games.

The only way this all resets is when we are watching AI driven holograms play. Maybe that’s next year the way tech is advancing!

For me the problem is with these heavy transfers is It is harder to argue though that your tuition bill and my tuition bill should include a fee for intercollegiate athletics

I know both Blues and I spend tuition dollars and I will again next year

I never thought it was a problem before because I thought it was part of the campus experience and gifted kids in sports or academia add to the campus life

But if the final result is we are just paying money so these gifted students can go to another school to graduate and play etc- well that doesnt seem worth it

Of course every scenario is different right. AV graduated and was looking for a starting opportunity. I wish he played in the bowl game but I actually liked his transfer tweet and totally supported it.

2 Likes

A rookie during training camp makes $1,850 per week plus per diem. A rookie that sticks around on a practice squad makes $12k per week. So they make some money. Good money for a 22/23 year old if you stick on the practice squad for 18 weeks.

1 Like

Indeed!

Good money for an almost 59 year old too!!

1 Like

Per Pete Nakos yesterday:

"Miami (Ohio) transfer receiver Gage Larvadain entered the portal Tuesday. He led the MAC with 679 receiving yards this season.

He’s received interest from Auburn, Baylor, Cal, Duke, Houston, Michigan State, Miami, South Carolina, Tulane and UCF."

1 Like

Having been both a high school coach and an AD, I personally have been through a ton of these post season reviews or evaluations. In high school, sometimes the principal is included. Generally speaking these were positive exchanges of ideas and discussion of issues, but not always. It seems naive to think that these do not occur.

Now l have just pointed out two different issues where I think changes which most on our website were calling for were made in the off-season. I think it happened something like that, that jives with my own previous experience. Perhaps our AD and/or our coach agreed it was a good idea.

I have enjoyed the Dr. Pepper Fanville series of commercials, but the one I identify with the most is the Giant portal sucking in star players. Really, that applies less to big schools and more to the G5. It captures exactly the emotions we all felt the day we lost both Amos and Larvadan.

3 Likes

So Milt made big money in the CFL. He’s the only Miami guy I can think of who played up there since the 50s or 60s. Unless you’re a QB WR or RB or a Canuck, you’re probably not playing up there.

1 Like

I don’t drink Dr. Pepper, so I’d have no problem letting go of it to prevent a player from being sucked into the unknown.

I wish they would just pull the trigger and do a Fanville commercial where the fan just curses profanity for 30 seconds at his or her tv. That would be way truer to life.

1 Like

Toledo native JuJuan Armour played six season in the CFL. I’m sure there are more.

1 Like

Have been a bit MIA…the worst part about these late portal entries are coaches didn’t attack the portal as much as they would have and also didn’t sign some HS guys they may have wanted to bring in for early signing period, and they may have then signed elsewhere.

3 Likes

Many good points on the portal issue(s). My point is that for Gage and Amos may have a shot at the NFL- they no doubt would have more playing time and bigger numbers if they stay at Miami and a better chance of getting drafted or invited to a NFL rookie camp by staying. If a player has no realistic shot at the NFL and can get a big NIL check so be it - transfer. That player is more interested in money than playing time and we move on - next man up. I am concerned however that we have not announced any transfers in- are other MAC programs offering " modest " NIL money? If yes we need some type of program to match

1 Like

I think the only logic flaw I see is, if a school is gonna pay anyone anything, they prolly do have a shot at getting some nfl looks. Otherwise, they’d save their money. As for your other point, I agree. If a MAC running back runs for 1500 yards in a season, scouts are gonna be intrigued. Amos ending up as another British Brooks on the UNC roster might be easier to dismiss outright as he only ran for 300 something yards. Good player though. Just a much more crowded and talented RB room.

Has anybody seen on social media any potential transfers saying they received Miami offers?

1 Like