Portal

Wow, Toledo’s transfer problem might be worse than ours.

It’s the reality of being a MAC school these days. Every school is dealing with it. If you aren’t, then it probably means you don’t have many good players. Obviously we’re doing something right in the player evaluation area. Just gotta stick to that formula

1 Like

Winners (schools and players) are more often poached than losers…the net effect should be a further separate leveling of both P-5 and G-5 conferences.

I have a friend who is a sports agent and he tells me this portal stuff is really like hand-to-hand combat.

1 Like

The sooner we all realize that college sports is entirely JUCO now, the better.

7 Likes

Bottom line is G5 are development leagues. And good P5 teams aren’t going to waste resources developing high school kids when they can poach established stars from G5 teams. G5 teams might have a good player 2 years. Once a kid makes an all conference team, he is gone. That is the reality. Even if G5 have NIL money to offer, it likely won’t be the same as P5 money. And G5 won’t have the allure of P5 no matter what the money. The question then becomes, what if anything, can G5 schools do about it? And let’s be honest, the negligence here was in G5 schools, and their ADs and board of trustees, who had the opportunity to position to move up to P5 and for whatever reason, didn’t. But that is a different discussion.

2 Likes

Maybe our nation’s institutions of higher learning should not be used as the NFL’s minor leagues?

11 Likes

Maybe the G5 should get organized and insist that the P5 share revenue in exchange for player development costs? Across the G5, not player by player.

4 Likes

Is there any good Miami news hopefully coming about some more players staying or good transfers transferring in??

In the soccer world, the first club of a player always receives a fraction of the money from transactions involving that player, in perpetuity. This is done to motivate small clubs to continue developing players. A similar model could be used in college sports. This could be an effective method to incentivize G5 schools by providing them with additional revenue when they contribute talent to P5 schools.

6 Likes

Blues. I agree. P5 teams can throw more NIL money around than MAC schools….even for players that will be a backup

G5s trying to fight the P5s on NIL is like the CCCP fighting Reagan on military spending……ain’t going to win and the dollars are better spent elsewhere

If schools like Miami are serious about maintaining pseudo D1 status, my focus would be on being the most efficient on legacy revenue streams….nearly every dollar spent is funded by endowment not student fees

We can’t match NIL….NIL doesn’t overcome the allure of playing at a higher level school….losing battle

7 Likes

I’m sure we’ll add a few guys eventually. Probably once things shake out on the P5 level and we get closer to the spring semester starting. Likely lose/add more guys in the spring portal window

Toledo has already picked up 2 DBs from the portal-one each from Florida and Iowa State, both 3 star recruits.

1 Like

I know ot 2 Bobcats getting $100000 offers from P5 schools for 1 year grad school rentals. Their guard that started 4 years and starting tight end. Got info from teammate. Duke…Oklahoma State…Texas AM mentioned. Guess to some degree you have to say you can’t blame them. Hope its worth it if they wind up not starting. Could have stayed, played and been seen and scouted and had a chance to get drafted.

Dave is that 100K on top of a scholarship?

1 Like

I will tell you a previous time when Chuck was forced into making a change. In his first few years we were not good and our special teams were awful. At that time there was no dedicated special team coach and the bitching about it on our board was at the same level as it was over Koehler. I believe Chuck was instructed at that time to hire a dedicated special teams coach, perhaps one of the best things that ever happened to our program.

3 Likes

You mean…it’s just that simple?

Hey David, I want my own recliner at the 50 yard line and a mini-fridge full of Spotted Cow. Make it happen.

Sincerely,

MHT

3 Likes

2 Likes

But almost 2/3 did start a game….kinda surprised it’s that high

2 Likes

They’re skimming the best and most experienced performers from G5 programs. I don’t find it surprising that many of them can play regularly at the P5 level.

You expect them to play school first?