Portal

Willard now with offers from Indiana and Texas A&M

1 Like

This is what would concern me as well. Our coaches were operating on the assumption that we wouldn’t have many open spots to fill outside of our players who were out of eligibility and weren’t as active in the portal as they would have normally been. I hope we can find suitable replacements in the portal, but we struck gold twice with Gage and Amos. Not a knock on our coaching staff as evaluators (I think we do a great job in this respect), but it’s going to be really hard to replace those guys.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m guessing these good P5 offers coming to our guys so quickly serve to bait others into jumping in.

1 Like

Oh yeah. 100%. They contact players through their high school coaches, recruiters, outside position coaches etc….

2 Likes

You can kiss Woullard goodbye. He is gone to get paid. And if Amos has a UNC offer (and I projected he would go SEC or ACC) you can kiss him goodbye too.

3 Likes

Anyone with a P5 offer is essentially “on the payroll” of the new school. Bye Bye Miami! Bye Bye MAC! Bye Bye G5. Hello $!

It has become like being called up to the show in baseball from AAA or AA. As soon as you walk in the clubhouse door the MLB minimum applies. And that’s four or five times what you were making in the Minors.

Kaching!

If things continue on their current trajectory, Miami may never have another player go directly from Oxford to the NFL.

Gage got offers from Minnesota and Marshall

Hope to see at least 1 of the 3 back. All have significant risks to assess. Who’s to say that these programs haven’t or won’t recruit others for the same spot? P5’s don’t necessarily make the same blind guarantees that we do. They also don’t have as much at stake should they renege on a promise. Woulard maybe have the least amount of risk but still faces a clear risk. IMO, Amos would be in a backup role at UNC (I’m sure he will have other offers as well) and Gage could easily be forced into a PR / slot role. Aside from the prestige of playing for a P5 and little money (short term prop), are any going to benefit by being a significant contributor on a better team? A team with a better chance at a playoff spot? I don’t see it.

1 Like

I don’t see anyone with a P5 offer coming back. And I’m not sure Amos is a just back up at UNC. A hard running 1,000 yard rusher who breaks tackles is a find for the Tar Heels if he decides to transfer there.

Obviously hate to lose them, but I think we should also be honest why guys like Gage and Amos came to Miami in the first place. They didn’t come to bleed Love and Honor (although hopefully they had good experiences and they support the program and school in the future). They came as a chance to show their skills and hopefully continue their dream of playing at a higher level in the future.

Just like with Gage and Amos, hopefully Chuck lands a couple more diamonds in the rough next year. This is just the game going forward, especially for G5 schools. Catch some hidden gems falling from P5 to reload as the stars from the last year move up.

6 Likes

Any G5 coach who can produce a consistent conference championship contender and/or playoff contender in this environment probably won’t be at G5 very long. He’ll be in the portal as quick as you can say Willie Fritz, John Summerall or Curt Cignetti.

1 Like

To be fair, any G5 coach who can produce a consistent conference champ moves on in any era.

1 Like

True. More of a challenge now.

1 Like

Traitor Kohler poaching Miami guys to Minnesota :rage:

Isn’t UNC’s all American RB coming back, for now, at least? It’ll be a battle for Rashad to get the starter spot.

3 Likes

@missmiami Yeah. Good point. I’d forgotten about Hampton. Omarion will be the feature back as long as he stays healthy. Looks like Mack’s trying to buy an insurance policy with Amos being the same kind of back. He likes to have someone who can pound the rock.

Amos could end up somewhere besides Chapel Hill.

Tar Heels have about 20 guys outbound in the portal. Three of them are RB.

Yeah, he’d be a good complement, somewhat similar size and running style. Wish him the best, but this sucks.

I hate the freakin’ portal!

3 Likes

Sure, the portal taketh… but it also giveth.

Without the portal, we wouldn’t have even known about Gage or Rashad. By this time next year, some guy(s) we don’t even know right now could be making massive plays for us in Detroit and/or beyond.

6 Likes

What you say is true.

But our margin for error is small and I would rather have Gage- Amos-Woullard than taking a chance with the portal

4 Likes

Yep. P5 teams are picking good G5 teams’ bones this season. They know what they’re getting. It’s a pig in a poke coming the other direction for us.

We’ve picked up a number of P5 guys who haven’t made much of a contribution at all. For one of them this year, Miami was just a drive through. He’s in the portal again without even playing in Oxford.