Portal

Back to 6-6 in 2024? Get bowl eligible by beating Ball State in November in Oxford and lose another bowl game to a 7-5 team by four points. So damned disappointing!

1 Like

Already writing off 2024 a couple weeks after this season ended. That’s an interesting perspective.

3 Likes

I think we will be fine. CM has his faults, we all do. I think he’s very good at identifying talent and he will replace these guys with equal or better talent. There are very talented players in the portal. He will find them. We will look different but will still be the best in the MAC

3 Likes

I hope so. It’s disappointing the “band” that he was trying so hard to keep together seems to be breaking up like a 60s one hit wonder rock band.

I can understand kids jumping ship from a bad team/unsuccessful program and I understand but don’t embrace the one year mercenary concept…but I don’t really get uprooting your entire college experience and heading to a nondescript future when you’re part of an 11-3 team with most of the key pieces set to return.

2 Likes

These have to be surprises to Chuck and the staff. I echo back to his statement during the signing day show that next year “I will have 19/22 starters back” So if that statement was true in his mind when made, then Amos, Gage, and Woullard, are surprises to him.

I thought we needed to hit the portal for interior DL help before Caiden’s announcement, I think it is even more imperative now. I know Caiden was more at DE than DT, but at 6’5" 255, he gave us an imposing presence both rushing the passer (9.5 sacks, 12.0 TFL) and stopping the run as well. And who knows what player decides to hit the portal next, especially if those who were going to stay and make a run at the CFB in 2024 see everything collapsing around them.

1 Like

Oh yeah, these guys were staying until that 12/18 ruling. There was no way to see this coming. There may be more to come.

I agree that it probably comes as a surprise to CM. I think he thought almost the entire nucleus was returning to make a run at the CFB G5 slot.

Now it’s starting to look like a jailbreak from a conference championship team. I simply don’t get it. The coaching staff hasn’t bolted - the guys who gave this group what was needed to become champions.

SMH at what CFB has become.

1 Like

If I had to guess I would say other programs may have discreetly made it known to these guys that if they jump in there would be monetary compensation coming their way. Hard to say no to that.

And has many have pointed out the court ruling open the flood gates.

2 Likes

BUGS got a WR from Auburn, Malcolm Johnson, Jr. Has one year left.

Here’s how I see the basic “equation” working;…at least in the minds of players.

1. Good to great players at G-5 schools leave their school via the portal hopefully to transcend to a P-5 school where NIL money, fan support/adulation and the road to the NFL is better paved.

2. Meh players at P-5 schools who did not earn much PT or receive NIL money, fan support/adulation or a paved road to the NFL leave their school via the portal to transcend to a G-5 school where their arrival is heralded as a good to great fix at a position of need.

3. If a transcendent player from a P-5 school to a G-5 school reacquires the status of players in #1, then “rinse and repeat.”

All of this portal crap is intercollegiate athletics’ version of a “Circle Jerk.” This party will not end well.

1 Like

Minnesota has just offered. Damn, that was quick.

https://twitter.com/WoullardCaiden/status/1739675294363943265?t=RE0JAc9kZYMklyCF9Us1_w&s=19

Becoming impossible to build anything lasting at G5. You have a good year and many of your best guys with eligibility left bolt. You’re back to 6-6 level instantly and you must quickly create a team you guess might be competitive next season. You roll out the your untested team and competitiveness theory the following September and roll the dice.

if you have success then, as Renmanco said, “Rinse and Repeat.”

This sucks!

2 Likes

How many players have we officially “lost”to date? What positions? Likelihood of replacing them in the portal?

Regular contributors from this year’s team include Aveon to an HBCU FCS, Woullard with a Minnesota offer, Amos with a UNC offer plus a double transfer from Louisville who didn’t play during his single season at Miami and three younger recruited prospects from high schools who didn’t play much at MU…one with multiple FCS offers.

There are rumors or others about to enter the portal.

These are tough days to be a fan of Miami sports because we are losing great players

I wish that I had never seen those tweets about running it back because I got excited

I would have assumed we were losing players without those tweets

It is going to be brutal for the next week I assume

I get the arguments of why the players can do it but why do I want to contribute dollars and time to this system.

4 Likes

Larvadain now officially in the On3 portal…

Any chance Brett sees all this and I like “Eff it, I’ve got two rings. Imma just hang it up”?

I don’t think so. I think he lives for football and wants that one more chance. So far we have not lost more talent than any other recent season. I think Miami will be a very attractive spot for transfer portal guys looking for playing time at a good school with a winning program. This is where our staff has been outstanding in recent seasons.

4 Likes

I heard a bowl bound coach describe the first three weeks of the open December transfer portal as the Black Friday of portal recruiting. He said the best ones go very quickly, just like the loss leader products at the big box stores.

Wake me up in February.

3 Likes