Portal

Totally with you here Nesca

Gage has to run around the shower to get wet …. he will not have as much success (or potential success) against a full P5 schedule. When you exclude the 30 yard reception against Coral Gables State Penn, the rest of his day was somewhat pedestrian. Maybe this says more about the uncertainty of the QB situation, than anything else.

And maybe both of these kids simply just want to be closer to home……zero problem with that…. but if true they should just say that.

And they haven’t committed anywhere yet….so I’m not over reacting….yet. But Jesus fellas, if you’re the feature WR and RB on this team, are you really going to get better exposure anywhere else? (If that is what they’re really after)

5 Likes

That’s what I was wondering about Rashid…he is guaranteed to be the feature back at Miami if he returns.

Technically, his quote could apply to transferring a second time and the fact that he is back in the portal.

Gage will end up at UC and Amos at NW, because of course.

I have no problem with these kids leaving for health issues, family concerns or because of the need for less strenuous academics or a desire for even more challenging academics.

As Chuck said repeatedly on the bowl trip, some of our guys come from family situations that are economically challenging. It has to be a squeeze on their families to attend their kid’s games in the Midwest when they live in distant states like Georgia, Alabama, Missouri or Louisiana.

I’m fairly certain this is a significant factor in decisions to transfer. Many have no historic emotional ties to either Ohio or to Miami. We have simply helped them build a resume that can possibly use to leverage themselves into something closer to home.

If only there was a way for our fan base to funnel money to the players to help their families with travel expenses to see their kids play. :thinking:

3 Likes

I miss the good old days. Hard to believe that decision makers thought all this portal stuff was a good idea. Pretty soon you’ll have players spending one year each at four different schools. And I don’t believe it’s all because they want to be closer to home.

2 Likes

I would be far more interested in a parent support fund than giving a bunch of FOMO 20 year olds $15k per year in NIL

And, I go all the way back to January 16, 1988. On my official Miami visit, having dinner in the 1809 room, I listened to a speech from doc Shriver. In that speech he talked about the returns you get when you make an investment in a place like Miami. Using the US silver dollar from 1776 versus the $500k nazi deutchmark (sp?)…… one now is worthless and one now worth hundreds more times over. The speech has stuck with me to this day……even giving my three daughters a silver eagle each year since their birth.

Maybe I’m the odd ball….maybe this generation doesn’t get it and it’s our fault……but if it is more than family related, I say thank you and move on …. And stay the F off my lawn. :smile:

2 Likes

That used to be a big violation. Who knows now?

The good news is we can create both a parent support fund AND a NIL collective and everyone is free to donate how they want.

The problem is that we are currently doing nothing and yelling at clouds when our best players keep leaving for schools that are paying them.

2 Likes

Who sets the funds up and who manages them. Is there any fiduciary oversight?

Bernie Madoff has volunteered to manage our fund.

I want to jump in and say this landscape is what it is because of a dearth of any type of leadership and foresight by the adults in charge. Across decades. So while I dislike the transitory nature of D1 CFB (and basketball) you cannot blame the kids, or this generation, for what we have. They are merely reacting to the system we have and acting in their personal best interest. Just like the adults have done for decades.

8 Likes

Again, what I am proposing does not violate that Ohio statute.

Would not be hard to create and run.

2 Likes

By whom?

Most are fun by former AD fundraisers, personnel directors or general fans. There are professional orgs that can run an entire NIL program for a sch. Some are good and some are money sucks (the money sucks keep ~20-30%). Even volunteer/amateurs need to spend around 10-15% for ops costs. The key is aligning with someone who can create significant incremental value and not rely on membership / donor models to raise the funds. There’s a grp that runs several collectives in the MAC that does just that (meaning membership model and keeps high%) and via a flawed 501(c)3 model​:man_shrugging:t3::man_facepalming:.

1 Like

Amos receives an offer from UNC.

As some have stated, and I have said before, I have frustration with someone who was left dead in the water last year and decides to transfer and uses Miami and then bolts. The “closer to home argument” and “family”arguments I don’t buy, because where was this same logic last year when they entered the portal?

I wish him well, but once again, it bothers me.

3 Likes

Woullard is in the portal now as well. Not great.

https://x.com/woullardcaiden/status/1739655149876891710?s=46&t=Mwc894NmZi2sl3ixPUgjFA