Portal

Schrader finished 8th in this year’s Heisman voting.

1 Like

Ohio AG Dave Yost was one of the leaders!

And Kopp testified in favor of unlimited transfers

3 Likes

On establishing admissions standards for all students?

1 Like

I forgot he was a grad student this year.

1 Like

Do you mean all transfers including non sports related transfers? That would probably be ok. Anything targeted towards sports is going to face anti-trust allegations until there is congressional action or collective bargaining.

1 Like

Blanket admissions policies that prevent any student from attending four different schools in four consecutive years.

In answer to a question raised by I believe HLB above, I have no issue giving NIL money to walk-ons. However, if teams are going to essentially give full-ride scholarships to walkons to circumvent the 85-player scholarship limit, then that is where I have a problem. Because then we are back to the 1970s when Bear Bryant had 115 or more on scholarship just so his rivals couldn’t get the players. If that is where we are headed then I think it is time for a clean break where the mid-majors and anyone else who wants to join break off, form their own league, and all sign agreements agreeing to limit NIL money given out to XXXX number of dollars, be that per player cap or total NIL money per program, whatever that number will be. Just to bring some sanity back to this process. So players can still portal if they want but they will do so knowing the NIL money, if they stay within the mid-major league is capped. Some will be good enough to bounce up to the P5 but most won’t. And that might bring the number in the portal down. As of right now, as I type this, there are at least 1695 kids in the portal. That is crazy. And does destroy the fan experience if indeed that is still important.

2 Likes

Without getting into the actual merits of this, you’re just recreating the original NCAA, which the courts seem pretty convinced is violating anti-trust law. Additionally, many state NIL laws also would block what you’re describing. Any policies that involves schools unilaterally trying to reverse things isn’t going to work. Anti-trust exemptions and/or collective bargaining with student-athletes is needed, both of which seem unlikely right now to me.

I disagree. This does not recreate the original NCAA at all as student athletes are still free to move. It does not limit freedom of movement at all. They can move up, down or laterally. They are still free to negotiate for NIL money.They can still receive NIL money. The only difference is the student athletes will know certain schools have a limit to what they can pay. Does this break restraint of trade laws? I don’t think so, based on my research. Gray area perhaps but not a strict violation. I discussed with a few labor law attorney friends of mine from both sides of the aisle (plaintiffs and defense attorneys). Moorehawk I am happy to share with you privately the law firms I spoke with on this issue.

2 Likes

Love the comment on admissions policies. What is missing here is that having no limits on transfers is totally at odds with the core mission of what these colleges are supposed to be about----educating and getting these student athletes a degree.

I don’t see how you can a system in college athletics that is looser than in professional sports. In the NFL, MLB etc where there are limits and rules about obtaining free agency.

This cannot possibly stand in the long term. It might take Congressional action or require all college athletes join a union that would then negotiate free agent terms on their behalf. There needs to be some reasonable limits for the integrity of the academic mission and the good of the sport.

3 Likes

I completely agree. Understandably, we have been discussing this from an athletics standpoint. However, what about the academic perspective? What sense would it make for a student who is not an athlete to go to four or five schools during their college careers? The implications for their future employment at least would not be good, I would think, even assuming that the main purpose of going to college is to prepare yourself for a professional career. Is it really in the best interest of a “student athlete“ to attend four or five schools during their college career? If that student ends up being a pro athlete, then it doesn’t matter. But the vast majority of them do not.

3 Likes

Who’s to say they would list them all. Maybe they would only show where their degree came from. Ps, I hate the transfer system in its current form.

2 Likes

The NCAA knows where you’ve been enrolled and where you’ve played. Schools need to get clearance for athletes through the clearinghouse before certifying eligibility.

1 Like

I was reacting to this. Kid can put whatever they want on their resume. Just list the school where you have your degree. Has nothing to do with the NCAA.

1 Like

If all that matters is their resume, you are right.

Universities coordinating to adopt admissions rules that make it harder for everyone to transfer as a direct response to a ruling making it easier for student-athletes transfer? That’s a restraint of trade. (And if the concern is that it shouldn’t be a restraint of trade because student-athletes aren’t employees, the Supreme Court has clearly signaled it’s just waiting on the right case to say they are.)

@thechuck_2112 The legal push seems to be going in the direction of giving universities little control over their own operations, particularly with regards to athletics.

I wonder how long it might take for a possible consortium of administrators at financially challenged universities to evolve to adopt more of a Canadian USports model for athletics where everything is essentially a voluntary club sport and no one gets any aid for participating.

That seems to be the only alternative to declaring today’s college athletics environment professional and employee-based.

1 Like

Amos is a huge loss. No current back can replace him.

Really hate this now rent a player for 1 season we have now.

2 Likes

I can’t bring myself to imagine who Miami might have lost had the portal been in place “back in the day.”…but try this on for openers:

Ben, Harp, Wally, Swarn, Sherman Smith, Rob Carpenter, Archie Aldredge, Brandon Brooks,and too many more.

The portal will be the death of intercollegiate athletics. Hard to build consistency and traditions when players are bouncing around like disgruntled employees.

7 Likes