Portal

Not to be a downer, but really makes it hard to get pumped for next season minus our two best offensive players. Not that I have any issue with guys heading elsewhere for more money/better exposure opportunities, but doesn’t make it any less of a kick in the knackers.

2 Likes

I am aware that this is a complicated issue, and there is so much hypocrisy from the top down and the crazy money involved in college sports, but for someone to transfer multiple times, it erks me the wrong way. I am someone who believes in making a commitment and honoring your word. For some here who have already been in the portal for their second time in less than a year, that just speaks on one hand to their lack of honoring their commitment.

8 Likes

That shit is long gone. And I agree with you NYC.

2 Likes

Gage now, too? Yikes. That changed quickly.

Well once the rules were changed to allow 2 transfers we were screwed

4 Likes

I just hope they go to great schools. If they transfer to some place we can beat I think I’d feel disappointed.

With the unlimited transfers and instant eligibility it has truly devolved into mercenary football. Fewer and fewer players are playing for their universities, their coaches and their teammates. It is basically year to year rent a player.

Maybe it’s payback for the way coaches have been increasing their treatment of players as expendable single year commodities but it certainly takes the feeling of team, university and fan unity out of it.

5 Likes

That court ruling Monday changed everything.

2 Likes

True, however it goes both ways. Coaches are not loyal to players either. Cutting kids, bringing portal players that come in ahead of others on the team. It’s nasty out there guys.

4 Likes

Sadly, I think Chuck pours a lot of emotion into developing many of these kids. He was absolutely delighted when he learned Rashad has crossed the 1,000 yard threshold after the bowl game. He’s given a lot of these guys the opportunity, the platform and the support they lacked elsewhere.

I am sure coaches leave or whatever

But it gets harder to justify student fees to support this model

4 Likes

On the plus side, the sooner CFB as we know it destroys itself, the sooner we can get to whatever is next. Because this current reality isn’t going to last very long.

2 Likes

I don’t see any indication Gage is in the portal. He’s not on On3’s Today list and hasn’t tweeted anything yet.

I think he’s told people he’s going into the portal but hasn’t filled out the paperwork online.

2 Likes

Earning your Miami degree and transferring, ok….

If you don’t, I hope you transfer to Marshall….

2 Likes

Totally agree

I’m completely fed up at this point….i don’t watch pro sports for reasons we won’t get into here. College athletics was my last bastion. Eroding quickly

7 Likes

Exact opposite for me. College Sports = MLB

I agree, HawkLbacker. It is become very hard to stay involved with sports these days, even my beloved MU. I gave up on MLB a long time ago, and the NFL is not far behind. I may find a DIII school to root for…

1 Like

“Those who stay,” amiright?

3 Likes

That would mean some pretty hefty attorneys fee awards for antitrust lawyers.