Portal

And as someone who was at that game, I wouldn’t evaluate either based on it. Kopp had 2 weeks to learn the offense after being on scout team. Hesson got 2nd team reps for half the season. That weather was some of the worst I’ve ever watched a sporting event in. And frustratingly enough, the refs really did a poor job of even trying to keep the balls dry. The Groza winner missed a PAT, the best punter shanked one, Salopek was missing tackles. There’s just nothing there to reasonably evaluate either. And that’s on top of not letting either get into a rhythm.

6 Likes

Agree 100%.

2 Likes

I don’t even consider what happened on Saturday a real game. I would have rather lost it 24-13 on a dry field than have had to suffer through the pigs in mud fiasco we endured at the Cure Bowl.

1 Like

So Oregon picked up both Dillion Gabriel (Sooners) and Dante Moore (UCLA) from the portal.

Seems crazy both would go there as likely only one plays…

2 Likes

Browning started off his career well at Washington, but got a bit of the yips later on. He was atrocious for the Vikings in the preseason. That’s not missed talent evaluation, that’s just a guy who managed to figure something out.

1 Like

With Gabbert coming back, I doubt we can get a talented portal QB without a starting guarantee for 2025, which we should not be making for any guy who’d be behind Gabbert on the depth chart. If we do pick someone up, it would most likely be some guy off the scrap heap we’d be taking on flyer on to potentially challege Hesson and Kopp somewhere down the line.

The yips? Don’t make excuses. Kenny Loggins had the yips and wrote a great theme song for Caddy Shack.

1 Like

Yeah, no, I don’t agree with much of this. There are several QBs with 2-3 years eligibility and lots of talent/potential in the portal. There will be more in May. We have power 5 type facilities, MAC champs with returning players at all key positions. Three recruiting classes in a row that have been stellar. There are lots of reasons for a talented QB to come to Oxford.

2 Likes

Albany QB enters portal. Had a good season

I’ve got an inkling that Miami probably isn’t going to do any QB shopping in the portal until after we see how Brett’s recovery might be going - possibly after the Spring game.

What is the usual recovery time for a injury like Brett’s? He was hurt October 21.

2 Likes

3-6 months is the average

2 Likes

Consistent with that I think Coach said Brett would be getting cleared right around spring football but that Thomas G coming in for January semester will allow him to get reps in spring ball since Brett wont be taking a lot of them

2 Likes

Regarding the evaluation of QB’s… I do believe it’s probably the most difficult to evaluate but due to what someone else said about ratings. Recruiting is screwed up as stars and offers are bought and paid for by hustlers and “private coaches”. I was offered 4 stars for my kid if I paid $10K (similar for offers to P5 schs). It’s insane. That’s why you have 138 FBS QBs in the portal - evals are off and most coaches are under pressure to win recruiting. Tell me where the #1 QB (5star) in last years class signed and where he’s transferring to…

7 Likes

Our QB depth chart at the end of Spring ball might be Gabbert, Hesson, Gotkowski or McLean, Kopp, Tarpey, Edwards and Lichtenberg.

1 Like

That’s pretty wild!

1 Like

Building on that, there’s such a huge range of talent that QBs face in high school that it’s tough comparing someone coming from small town Iowa versus a big school in Texas. Even controlling for competition, some kids are freak athletes who dominate based on their physical skills but don’t develop the mental side of the game enough to survive as a starter in college.

4 Likes

Why would you call Billy Bahl out like that

2 Likes

Exactly. That’s why the “star” system is ridiculous. There is no real way to compare.