Portal

Ohio’s Kurt Danneker to Boston College

He’s been in the portal for 2 weeks. I mentioned him on this thread yesterday. Seems like a lot of college coaches suck at evaluating talent. They get to wrapped up in what 247 sports or rivals ranked a kid. I’m sure WKU is kissing that kids ass even as we speak. Many on this board assume that the depth charts are accurate. I can assure you they are not. This is proven all the time in college and NFL. Ranking, offers, power 5, means Jack squat. Can they play. A lot of coaches should be kicking themselves tonight. Here’s the thing, there are lots of Veltkamp’s out there. Go find them.

1 Like

I would say that depends on who calls. I doubt he stays at WKU if a Power 5 comes calling, and they might. He also may be a little ticked that he was 3rd on depth chart behind the coaches nephew that sucked and started in front of him today.

1 Like

Miami DB Mason Moore, for some reason not showing as a RedHawks transfer, has several FCS offers so far - Lehigh, Bucknell, EKU, Murray State and Wofford. He’s a Northern Kentucky guy. I’d be considering Lehigh and Bucknell very seriously.

Do Lehigh and/or Bucknell give athletic scholarships for football or is it like Dayton?

1 Like

Yes. Patriot League schools have been providing athletics scholarships since 2012.

Dayton is in the Pioneer Football Conference. Their schools do not award football scholarships.

Jake Browning was an undrafted NFL free agent! Wtf! Must be true at all levels.

4 Likes

And…Miami’s Larry Fortner was an NFL draft pick.

His Senior year, he completed 48% of his passes and threw 5 tds and 13 interceptions!

Of course, there were a lot more rounds in those days and he actually was a decent qb! Great athlete!

1 Like

Question. Does any team work at developing QB’s when they come to college or do they expect them to come in all ready after 4 years of high school football? Cause there’s only so many teams that run a “pro style” game that throws the wide receiver open and pushes the ball downfield and not to set positions in the “the option” or “run pass option”?

The portal is great for some positions but for others it’s like borrowing a high interest loan from one of those places on the road. Sure it’s a quick fix, but after a year you’re still out looking for the next big name.

Look at the mess at Notre Dame. They just borrow borrow borrow QB’s from the portal. Great recruits who “just aren’t ready yet”. I hope Chuck and his staff sit down and come up with a plan to focus on QB development, as well as all positions, and not be so overly reliant on someone else who’s overly reliant on someone else etc. in developing players. Cause after a while it’s all rumors and no results.

2 Likes

Quarterback has always been the hardest position for coaches to evaluate. It has been the case since Johnny Unitas was an undrafted free agent. It continues today with the last player drafted in the NFL draft two years ago, Brock Purdy, being the favorite to win the NFL MVP award.

It is because so much of success at the position is quick decision making that is hard to assess in practice situations or when a player moves up in the level of competition. A lot of guys look good in HS but can’t adjust to the speed of the the college game or college to the NFL.

You never know until they get in the game.

Chuck said as much in his presser before the Cure Bowl. He said Hesson and Kopp show everything you want in practice but you don’t really know about a QB until the lights are on.

I took a look at what Joe Humprhreys did at Murray State this year. Went down to FCS level. Never saw the field with a 2-9 team. According to 247, he was our 10th highest rated recruit ever and just slightly behind Desert as second ranked QB recruit. Yeah, it is not easy and a lot of mistakes are made…

5 Likes

I think one of the reasons Mike Leach developed the Air Raid offense at now defunct Iowa Wesleyan and at Valdosta State was to make it easier to plug and play accurate, strong armed QB into an offense.

As they progressed up the food chain to FBS they found themselves at schools that were always overshadowed by the big boys - at Texas Tech, Washington State, and Mississippi State and for Mumme at Kentucky.

The Air Raid is designed to make it simple for QB by lining up five WR and spinning them out in several different patterns so the QB can just keep throwing to them.

I think the Air Raid is less effective than it once was.

Most offenses, including ours, require far more QB development.

Am I on track here, @Ballcoach1?

1 Like

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. However, I don’t think evaluating a QB is anymore difficult than any other position. I think some coaches are lazy and rely on rankings to offer kids. These “experts” are wrong as often as they are correct. The top 10 in a QB class is easy to see it’s the 11-125 that’s hard. Frankly, they suck at that with overrating and underrating players. I think it can be hard to evaluate a QB until he has live game reps. I get that it’s hard to get QBs game reps. However, it’s not impossible. CM had multiple chances this year to get Henry in the game and he chose not to, why? Look no further than the Veltkamp kid. He threw 2 passes this year. Then what, 50 yesterday with 5 TDs and 80% completion percentage? Humphreys left Miami injured. I just looked up Murray’s stats and they played 4 QBs. I also see where the number 1 and number 2 went into the portal. I’m assuming he was still injured. Maybe he’s the guy now? However, if he was ranked too high that just proves my point. I wouldn’t trust a scouting company to tell me who can play and who can’t. I use my eyes, gut and experience. I think the coaches need to get back to that is all I’m saying. I think Veltkamp looked a million times better than Kopp. Who was ranked higher?

3 Likes

Absolutely. CM has a complicated play naming system that’s not easy to memorize. The plays themselves are not difficult, it’s the names of sets, formations, protection. I was told by two Miami receivers that it takes 2 years of playing to get the plays down. They don’t have to know as much as the QB. So, if you ever want to really know how smart and talented Brett Gabbert is, think about that. He learned it in a summer and started as a freshman. I think that is extremely impressive and most people have no idea. I think CM doesn’t put young QBs in the game because they still don’t know the system. That’s why I knew Kopp would fall on his face. That poor kid was set up to fail.

3 Likes

I am still amazed by how well the App State QB threw in that rain…and his receivers made a number of excellent catches as well.

OTOH, Kopp could not even hold the ball or hand it off, much less pass. It was hard to watch.

6 Likes

Yeah that App State kid had no issue. Definitely impressed with his abilities in that weather. Yeah, it was hard to watch Kopp. I was a little hard on him here. I felt really bad for him as I watched it. I am just frustrated that we seem to never be ready at WB unless Brett is in there.

3 Likes

These opinions about recruiting rankings are spot on. When you are recruiting at the Miami level you need to be able to project what a player might become in a few years with good coaching and weight training and better nutrition. Is he already fully developed ? Is this as good as he is likely to get? Or can you look at this guy and see how 4 or 5 years from now he could develop into someone going to an NFL training camp? When you have been doing this as long as a Chuck Martin or a James Patton, you have seen enough players develop into stars or just the opposite, they never got that much better, that you know what to look for both physically and mentally.

1 Like

Even normally fairly tactful RGIII noticed Kopp’s inability to handle the ball and the QB job. During his second series Robert called him Maddox Drop. Poor kid doesn’t have much of a highlight tape from that game.

1 Like

Brett Gabbert is the great outlier. He grew up in a football family. His Dad was a great football coach with many state championships. His older brothers were P5 conference QB’s and one of them has been an NFL QB for a dozen years or so. He grew up around all that and he went to camps and worked out with college athletes and pro athletes and coaches. The first time I ever saw him run our offense, in his Freshman season athe preseason scrimmage, I was just blown away at how totally in control he was, how quickly he reacted and did the right thing time after time. At that time the QB job was wide open, but just watching that one day it was obvious that he was way ahead of everybody else, including the guys who had been on the team for a year or two. That just doesn’t normally happen, not at this level.

Examples of QB’s who went through normal growth and develop under Coach Martin would be Gus Ragland and Aveon Smith. AV was in his third year before he ever got to play, but he was pretty good last year and very good this year.

There were three outstanding QB’s in the MAC this season that spent years developing. However, Toledo’s QB is going to Baylor and OU’s QB is going to Indiana. A year ago Gabbert almost left as well. So the MAC can still develop great QB’s, but whether it is the best way to win now is arguable. I think it is, but with the portal it makes you wonder if you are not just better off grabbing an experienced guy who comes already developed.

3 Likes

A man after Charlie Coles’ own heart.

1 Like

Bangura to Row the Boat