Portal

Brian got hurt pretty bad yesterday in the first half. Hope he’s OK. Great kid!

2 Likes

It will be tough to get a good QB in the portal with Brett coming back. Kids want to go where they can play right away.

5 Likes

And we have two quarterbacks committed to come in this year

Interesting prospect from the Meow Mixers. 33 receptions for 396 yards and 4 TDs.

In no particular order, I think our top portal priorities need to be: WR (Gage needs another threat and this could really make our offense tough to stop), DL, and CB/S. Of course, there may be some solutions internally.

As @Redhawks16 said, this could all change if current members of the roster still choose to enter the portal.

1 Like

Dequan Finn to Baylor.

2 Likes

Wow. Good for him. He is talented

2 Likes

Agree with redskins89. Harrison is not the answer.

Good fit for DQ

Maybe I’m just a handsome idiot but why do we need a transfer portal QB this winter/spring?

Brett
Hesson
Kopp
Gotkowski (who may actually be the backup come Labor Day)

There is no chance Gotkowski will be able to run this offense next fall. That said. Hesson would be my backup. I would look for someone to replace Kopp.

Brett did. We’ll see. Kopp isn’t going anywhere.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a challenging QB situation for us.

This season we had a very experienced QB coming back saying and looking like he was healthier than ever. We also had an experienced and healthy but different skill set backup, several other inexperienced QB who knew our system and a top high school recruit QB from Owensboro - who jumped in the portal preseason.

At this stage we have that same experienced veteran QB coming back but off a devastating injury suffered this season. Nobody, probably including him, knows whether he can ever play at his prior level. Everyone is hopeful.

But the experienced backup who guided us to five wins and the MACC is gone. Our two top backups after Aveon got a shot in the bowl game, albeit as unfair a shot as has ever been invented because of the weather. And again we will have a highly touted incoming freshman QB coming in.

In the audition on Saturday, Hesson looked to be limited because of a lack of experience, a limited playbook, happy feet on potential pass plays and, of course, the atrocious weather and field conditions. He didn’t look limited physically and did appear well-prepared. He managed the running game well and withstood pressure without fumbling or throwing an INT. He didn’t lose the game or win it for us.

Kopp, on the other hand, looked physically ill-equipped to run the offense and played only two very shaky series in the first half. We never saw him again.

I would have loved to have seen both Hesson and Kopp - and possibly our NorCal QB McLeod - get some reps under more normal weather conditions. But it was not to be.

The weather and QB inexperience took most of our chunk play threats off the board against App - the Tracys, Gage, Cade, Miles, KD, etc. Combined, it lead to our inability to capitalize on the numerous App State turnovers. As valiantly as we played, we weren’t playing with a complete offensive arsenal.

Trying to crystal ball next year’s QB situation seems to be a tricky proposition that creates a bit of a conundrum for the coaching staff.

2 Likes

Well, Southeastern Louisiana already provided one stud for us…

Blessed to receive an offer from Miami University‼️⭕️ pic.twitter.com/YGx6u5VYv6

— Connor Briggs (@ConnorBriggs15) December 17, 2023
2 Likes

And from over the weekend…

Blessed to Receive an Offer from Miami (Ohio) University!!! pic.twitter.com/iq0SVbUTT7

— Ryan “Bo” Barnes (@Bo11Ryan) December 15, 2023

Looks to match up size wise and skill set with graduating Luke Bolden.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s not another Brett on the team or coming. I’m not really sure why you are so enamored with Kopp, good luck with that. Henry is the next option behind Brett.

Well said.

3 Likes

Oh I like this!

1 Like

I’m not enamored with anyone, QB guru. Saturday didn’t sway me on either one of them (nor should it for anyone).

If Gotkowski is as good as advertised, I guess I would want him in there if Brett can’t age be damned.

2 Likes