Portal

Time flies when you’re having a good time. Wheatley was Big 10 Offensive MVP in 1992. I watched him against Washington in the ‘92 Rose Bowl.

Oh, damn! I bet you’re talking about his kid. Holy crap. Times does fly!

Remember brett was in portal last year and come back

Yeah, his old man was a beast in the 90s. Had a nice NFL career too. Just popped in my head when you mentioned recruits’ dads getting jobs from the university. It happens all the time I’m sure, but that one stood out because I recall a lot of people talking about it when it happened, and it wasn’t that long ago.

2 Likes

I was there in person……what a game

And I bumped into an OL from Washington about 10 years ago who played in that game

1 Like

@HawkLBacker I was there in the UW section in both ‘91 and ‘92. Huskies drilled Iowa in ‘91 and hammered Michigan in ‘92.

In ‘92, Washington built a big lead in the second half. Michigan starting going to Wheatley, Sr. In the fourth quarter and closed the gap a bit. We were glad they didn’t use him sooner, although he was playing against some of the Huskies’s reserves. Mario Bailey caught a TD pass right in front of us to make the score 34-7 and trolled Desmond with the Heisman pose. Huskies took a knee a couple times at the Michigan 5 to close out the game.

Some Ohio State people we met at a Carl’s, Jr on the way from the parade to the stadium warned us Michigan was going to kill us because the Wolverines had pounded the Buckeyes 31-3. They couldn’t believe we actually expected to win.

We stayed at the Husky team hotel in Anaheim and Don James autographed his book for me in the lobby.

Go RedHawks! Beat App State!

2 Likes

I remember that Rose Bowl. That was a great UM team too. Elvis Grbac and Desmond Howard had set school records that year. But Washington was undefeated, weren’t they? I remember that beast lineman they had Steve Emtman.

1 Like

Buffalo’s All-MAC safety Devin Grant has entered the portal.

Yep. Emtman was team MVP. Spilt the national championship with the Hurricanes.

1 Like

I was there for the rematch in ‘93 when Wheatley almost broke the Rose Bowl rushing record

The guy I met played in that game but damned if I can remember his name. 20 years later it looked as if he could’ve still played!!

3 Likes

Any portal commitments to Miami thus far?

No. A couple of offers committed elsewhere but that represents the only real activity.

Of course, Nicholson is still listed as being in the portal, even though he has announced his return (I’m guessing he just hasn’t filed the necessary paperwork).

1 Like

I’m guessing Finn is going to end up somewhere in the SEC - possibly Arkansas or Mississippi State since they’re not going to be running any semblance of Leach’s Air Raid anymore. He’s listed as the 11th best QB in the portal.

Rourke is listed at 12 and has interest from Vanderbilt and BYU.

On the On3 site, Aveon is listed as the 104th ranked QB in the portal - behind 9 who are jumping in from MAC schools. That’s last among all QB currently in the portal.

That seems a bit low considering what he’s accomplished but it also might signal that the experts view him more as a RB or slot receiver who was force-fed into a QB role. Those predicting a move down to FCS are probably right.

1 Like

Cj stokes of Michigan in the portal. Didn’t play much this year considering their healthy 1a and 1 b rbs but was great last year. He’s from SC so maybe no chance but would love to see him in red and white…

1 Like

That’s funny… considering he straight up outplayed both Quinn and Rourke in head-to-head games over the past 6 weeks.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s why I think whoever is doing the rankings views him as something other than a natural QB.

1 Like

Considering they put up ~3x the yards against a better defense (Miami’s), did he outplay them?

Aveon did a great job putting the team in a position to win games and he deserves a lot of credit for that. But I don’t see why that should translate to high interest in the portal. Teams are going out looking for superstars that will change their team’s chances next season.

2 Likes

He was efficient and didn’t turn the ball over against OU. And he didn’t turn the ball over against Toledo… and he delivered the critical play when we needed it most. And we won both games by multiple possessions, so yeah that is often how one QB outplays his opponent.

As someone else on the board (@The_Sackman, IIRC) said, the only people who think win total for QBs is an overrated stat must not have a QB who wins.

3 Likes

AV is not a passing QB. He will end up at a FCS school in SC. He will start, play well and everyone will love him.

6 Likes

I hope in a few years he ends up back here as a coach. He knows how to win.

1 Like

There are lots of FCS options in the Carolinas: Elon, Western Carolina, Campbell, Gardiner-Webb, Furman, Wofford, Charleston Southern, The Citadel, NC A&T and a host of FCS HBUs. There are probably several of them that would like to have his talents for two seasons.

1 Like