Portal

I get that this is the “new normal” and who knows what his individual circumstances are… but “more film available” is just a bad look…

to which I say, see you later :wave:

Why is it a bad look?

1 Like

Please explain? Why is that a bad look?

1 Like

Can you at least try to imagine all the excitement amongst the players the last few weeks and think about the guys who are missing out on the playing part and simply want to go somewhere to get playing time and maybe experience the same excitement?

1 Like

I’ll just pile on and say I’m also confused about why it’s a bad look. How else are potential schools supposed to know what they’re getting? Intuition?

3 Likes

I’ll own what I said, no problem with being in the minority here. As a golf fan maybe all this LIV nonsense is just making me crankier than usual…

Simply saying I’m not a huge fan of the transactional recruiting world now with the portal, I’d expect it in high school but not after making a commitment elsewhere… but I also get that I’m 100% in the minority here and just an old man yelling at clouds.

Just the nature of the game now. Like Saban often says, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you don’t do it out of principle.

Carry on lads.

My dad used to tell me stories about OSU and WVU offering players’ dads jobs in Columbus or Morgantown in exchange for a commitment from their kid way back in the day.

Transactional recruiting isn’t really anything new.

6 Likes

no you’re definitely right - “transactional” wasn’t the right word. That happens all the time, any school any program

honestly i’d delete my comment if I could but for internet posterity I’ll leave it there. It bothers me how easily some of these guys try to jump from program to program but that’s life now. As I said, carry on… :joy:

1 Like

Do you know what percentage of portal players have been told to “ hit the portal”? Do you know how many kids are told “ you have no place here”? Scholarships are one year contracts. Coaches actually send many of these kids to the portal against their will. Get to know all the facts before you harshly judge. Just sayin’.

4 Likes

Dinkins commits to Purdue.

I’m pretty certain the overwhelming majority of kids who were initially recruited and given a scholarship but haven’t played significantly during their first two years have had the talk with coaches about having that scholarship pulled and about becoming a permanent member of the scout team…

2 Likes

For somebody in the know-will all the guys that are coming back affect the number of scholarships the coaches were counting on being available for incoming recruuts?

Tj rush hasn’t played at al since been here see him leaving

Has Mozee announced he’s returning? I could see him entering the portal considering how little he was utilized this season.

No

1 Like

Unless Keyon will have graduated he’d need to sit. He’s a transfer from Kansas State.

1 Like

Oh that’s right.

What job in Morgantown could someone be bribed with?!

I recall when Michigan was recruiting Ty Wheatley Jr about 7 or 8 years back, they hired his dad as RB coach just prior to his signing. Not crazy considering his dad was a UM grad, but it definitely raised some eyebrows at the time considering he was being heavily recruited by all the blue bloods at the time.

2 Likes

Basically, most anything. They were recruiting a lot of blue collar kids out of places like Weirton, Steubenville, East Liverpool and Parkersburg whose dads worked on slag piles or in the blast furnaces.

1 Like