Portal

If he wins the Groza tonight, this could easily be one of the top days ever in MU sports history.

6 Likes

Great news!

1 Like

So great to hear that he wants to stay here with the RedHawks and our fantastic returning line up slated to compete for a NY6 bowl slot!

2 Likes

LOUD NOISES!!!

I know I’ve said this a lot recently but I had a strange feeling he’d be back. Maybe it’s because the team kept posting about him (leading up to the Groza announcement, his birthday, etc) or maybe it was due to the fact that he hadn’t actually posted the typical “I’m entering the portal” message. Of course, it could have also been that because I’m on such a football high that I’ll believe anything. Whatever. The best frigging kicker in the country is staying in Oxford. Hell yes.

Now go get your trophy, Graham.

7 Likes

Just maybe after all the blowback on Alabama getting the playoff spot over Florida State, they just might not automatically anoint the Bama kicker the Groza just because he plays for the Crimson Tide.

Graham had the best year and deserves to win!

1 Like

Glad we have more good news. What’s next? Travis Prentice has an additional year of eligibility?

3 Likes

Maybe that Ben does-----ducking…but not too much.

2 Likes

Anonymous gift to build a new, updated press box with revenue generating premium seating?!

3 Likes

Honestly, what is our ceiling for next year if we have no major injuries? An undefeated season with our OOC is a very tall ask, but is 12-1 with a CFP bid a reasonable expectation? Maybe not an “expectation,” but I sure think it’s possible.

2 Likes

Depends on the QB situation

2 Likes

Is there a situation? Gabbert will be QB1. Are you just worried that he won’t be 100%? Because I can see that being a valid concern.

1 Like

We had two this year and still had an great year

1 Like

As of last night there were already more than 2,000 guys in the portal.

Yes, that would be the primary concern, along with if CM finally prepares a back up QB to run his offense.

2 Likes

Looks like he’s going to have doesn’t it?

Interesting situation. A Michigan guy who transferred to Miami from Louisville after the 2022 season. Didn’t play during his freshman year in the Ville. Was recruited to UL as a WR but converted to DB at Miami. Played in the first four games at Miami but made no appearances afterwards. Best of luck to Jeremiah wherever he ends up.

2 Likes

App State has 10 guys in the portal. Seems a bit high for a conference runner up and 8-5 bowl team.

Reporting yesterday by Justin Williams of The Athletic. It’s gets more litigious daily, it seems.

“Seven states filed suit in federal court on Thursday, challenging the NCAA’s transfer eligibility rule as an illegal restraint on college athletes under the Sherman Antitrust Act. The NCAA, which ratified a one-time, penalty-free transfer rule in April 2021, still requires multi-time transfer athletes to sit out a year in residence and forgo a season of eligibility unless they are granted a waiver for immediate eligibility.”

2 Likes

12-1 with a playoff berth is the ceiling

10 wins is the expectation

Anything less than 9 wins is a disappointment

3 Likes

The goal is 12-1 and make the playoffs, which is a totally unreasonable expectation for a school with one of the lowest paid coaching staffs in the country and a school that spends essentially $0 on players (NIL).

However, the perfect storm could be brewing:

1. An experienced coach and staff
  2. Up to 18-20 starters returning (including 16 seniors, many who are 5th and 6th year players)
  3. One of top defenses and special teams units in the country remains mostly intact
  4. A schedule that gives us a realistic chance at 2 P5 wins and going undefeated in the MAC is very doable with Toledo and Ohio maybe taking a step back.
  5. Several top G5 teams could be down with Tulane, UTSA and James Madison all losing their coach and SMU going to the P5.
6 Likes