Portal

I factored that in. CM got a mulligan for 2014 and 2015. By 2016 the teams were mostly his guys. After 6 losses to open 2016 he did something nobody had done…win the next six. And we were competitive in the bowl game against a 5-7 SEC team. But 2017 and 2018 were disappointments - Chuck’s fourth and fifth seasons. Mediocrity had set in. 2019 was an 8-6 conference championship year with a bowl loss. 2020 was COVID and 2021 was slightly better with his first bowl win but 2022 was mediocre again with a 4-4 MAC record and a bowl loss to a 6-6 AAC team whose interim coach was not being retained. The coach speak remained the same during this entire time - basically that it’s difficult to win in the MAC and almost impossible to win outside it.

But, as others have pointed out, this season seems to have broken that cycle. The language and the performance seems to say Miami CAN compete. It is an incredibly welcome change in both tenor and results.

Beat App State!

2 Likes

JMU hiring the Holy Cross coach.

1 Like

I respect your opinion and others here. That said, you will never convince me he was ok with losing. No matter what words came out of his mouth. Because lots of words come out. Coaches (the good ones) are a different breed than the rest of what you encounter in life. I have met plenty of third-rate people in the world of business who are content to duck and cover through their careers to protect their bonuses or job. They gladly accept mediocrity because they were never very competitive to begin with. In his world, he’s around over 100 plus people who badly want to win. Every player not starting wants to be the guy. Every one who is wants to keep their spot. Every assistant coach wants to lead the ranked unit so they can move up the ladder. The strength coaches and conditioning want success as it keeps them employed. No one would stay for any length of time if losing or mediocrity was ok. Again, I think this is common sense, but it’s my opinion and doesn’t have to be anyone else’s, although I suspect it is for many reading.

1 Like

I never even slightly implied he was “ok with losing.” I just don’t think he ever believed he could actually win at Miami - at least beyond being competitive in the MAC.

I think what he and his team have accomplished this season has changed his mind. I think he has finally realized a formula of mixed recruiting - high schoolers, P5 transfers and select FCS transfers - and building around solid D and ST play -gives him an opportunity to win - and perhaps even win big -in Oxford.

2 Likes

Hmmm…not true. Here’s what you wrote.

1 Like

I stand by that because he truly didn’t think he could be competitive outside the MAC. He really didn’t think he could beat OOC teams at Miami and he reaffirmed that annually with his comments - until now. An “It is what it is”’attitude is basicslly acceptance.

1 Like

You’re willing to die on this hill? Shit. Maybe you are right!
I recall when we lost to EKU the wide spread feeling of contentment he had. And when we lost that close one to UC to Tommy Tupperware how happy he and everyone were after. And who could forget the contentment parade we had when our back up QB had that rough game at Bowling Green. The happy bus ride home from Minnesota. The Champaign that was served after the one point Army loss.

Yep. You’ve convinced me now. I didn’t think you could do it, but you really did.

I hope some former players read this and can chime in because they all loved contentment, right?

1 Like

A big TE (6’6 235) who had a productive season in 2022. He’s not shown on Iowa State’s electronic roster for 2023 but he’s on their Game Notes roster as a three year letterman. I wonder if Campbell removes guys from the roster as soon as they enter the portal.

Apparently a grad transfer. Probably played with Corey Suttle.

This is a weird meal you’re making out of all this. Was he happy with losing? No, I wouldn’t think so. Did his public comments engender any type of confidence or belief from the fanbase that OOC games were seen as a priority? No, I don’t think so.

His most recent public comments are markedly different. There’s no disputing that.

6 Likes

Who fucking cares? Move on.

3 Likes

Western Carolina had a very respectably season.

Did you watch Penix at IU? He looked really bad at times. I like Sorsby. He was able to beat out a 4 star to win the job, though Tayven Jackson is probably overrated, but still.

1 Like

From earlier this week… Kentucky DL Jamarius Dinkins.

Glory to God blessed receive a offer from Miami (OH) @CoachBrechin @Coach_JoeBowen pic.twitter.com/I9Jx3I7cG9

— jamarius dinkins (@spider55k) December 4, 2023
3 Likes

6’5 280 certainly has a nice ring to it!

3 Likes

From Columbus…played a lot this year. Has three years of eligibility left.

2 Likes

Yes it does. Unfortunately a number of Power 5 programs are lined up to get it. Word is he already has scheduled visits with Michigan State and Purdue. He’s from Columbus. Let’s hope Mama wants he closer to home.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/CassidyWoodTV/status/1732448109655990499

1 Like

Marshall fans are still total shitbags. Surprise surprise.

3 Likes

I don’t think family members of players should ever join fan boards. There are even mean-spirited fans on D3 fan boards and those kids aren’t even scholarship student/athletes.

5 Likes

He gave his LIFE UP!!!

1 Like