Portal

BOOM. Stay close to the Twitter machine fellas

1 Like

Air Bud never played defense though. His game was one dimensional. He also took a giant crap on the floor during the state championship game, but Disney cut the shot out of the footage.

Actually, the stats say Andres Borregales is 3-3 on field goals and McLaughlin has 6 kickoffs. Who is Andres Borregales and why is he on the stat sheet?

Miami of Florida’s kicker

Thanks. So why is he on our stat sheet?

That can work out well…or not.

I have absolutely no clue.

I thought McLaughlin’s leg looked pretty good when I went to the Fall Showcase. I recall that hit one FG from about 50 yards out.

I believe Dzobian was one the rare kickers to ever get a scholarship coming in. He was highly rated as both a punter and placekicker. Was not good enough to beat out Sloman or Nicholson but that does not mean he still is not a sold placekicker.

Hard to see how we retain both Dom and Alec next year since they are both so talented. Of course, Alec has also been very solid as holder.

2 Likes

I think it may be a bit of a PR move, when you’re an 11-win team that just won your conference you want to capture attention and draw publicity to your successes. Communicating that your stars are returning (instead of going into the portal like Finn or some other big MAC players) is communicating confidence to players and driving excitement in the fan base. The social media team has done a real nice job this year.

14 Likes

No mclaughlin is listed with 3 extra points combined in 2 different games when i looked him up on the website

Two PAT -one against Del State and one against UMass

6 long kickoffs

That’s exactly what it is. But it’s the kind of creative marketing that we have lacked throughout the years. I love it.

11 Likes

Not sure which thread this belongs in, but one thing I found notable about Chuck’s presser on Monday was when he was asked about the portal he mentioned wanting to retain everyone so we could make a run at the 12 team playoff next year.

I found this both jarring, but also a relief. My biggest criticism prior to this season is he seemed content to go 6-2 in the MAC, win one non league game, go to a shitty bowl and call it a season. Now to he’s aiming considerably higher and it’s refreshing as hell. Almost like this season gave him a taste of what’s possible. If we continue to hang on to key guys, it might not be unrealistic.

13 Likes

I agree with much of your post except for one point: why do you think Chuck was ever content with mediocrity? Dude has proven he doesn’t care about how he wins, just wants to win. He won 2 nati’s at the d2 level and was in the title game for the D1 at ND. I just can’t imagine after all that he would ever be content with a loss. He’s not a showboater or bragger so maybe that’s why it seems he doesn’t care to you? Not judging, just curious.

Well, up until this year, the results on the field. We went almost a decade without beating a non-FCS team out of conference. Our best record prior to this season under Chuck was 8-6. We’ve been the epitome of mediocrity since basically 2016.

More than that, though it was my read of his rhetoric. His comments before the Notre Dame and OSU games come to mind specifically. Other remarks he’s made as well. Constantly touting our conference record. Again, this is just my perception, but he’s always seemed to me to be content aspiring to nothing more than a conference title. I know others on this board have made this point as well. Obviously I’m not a mind reader, and I’m sure he “wants” to win every game, but up until now it seems his expectations for the team were centered almost entirely on our success in the MAC.

By the way, I don’t want this to become a thing where it sounds like I’m bashing him. He’s done a remarkable job this season. Especially following the Gabbert injury. I just happened to notice a shift in tone and I loved it. I would have never dreamed I’d hear him mention the possibility of making the playoff.

7 Likes

Totally agree. Chuck has never spoken like this before. I think you just the right word - jarring. It was jarring to hear him not temper expectations at all and, in fact, to bolster them. It certainly got me amped up for a reason that is still ~9 months away.

6 Likes

Right. Agree. But, what if this is the first time he has had a team that he thinks actually has a chance? Put another way, I play a lot (a lllllllot) of fantasy football. And I’m terrible. Not for lack of trying, just a number of factors make me stink year after year:: ignorance/alcohol/impatience/bad luck/bad karma/bad breath/you name it. Finally though, in one of my leagues, I put it all together and I’m kicking ass! I am going to win the sweet coins and bills. So, the swagger is back, namely in the form of my weekly shit talking, because why would I if I don’t have the goods? Anyhow, all of my nonsense aside, couldn’t this be this first time Chuck felt he finally had a ride or die team to do great things? Maybe he finally does believe. This was your point in short, save for the part where you said he was ok with being mediocre. I think I lost the plot. Where are we again?

2 Likes

And…You’re still in the playoff hunt in the Miami HawkTalk Fantasy Football League!

1 Like

If I get in the playoff’s with my ragtag line up of hot buttered dog shit, then shit…we might actually be able to save the teen center. Problem is, these 6-7 teams are like Wedge in Star Wars. They look mediocre, but they’re potent. AF!

2 Likes

I guess my fundamental point is I’ve never heard him talk like this and it was surprising and exciting. That’s all. I noted a tonal shift. He spoke for several minutes about making the playoff. That stunned me. Seems like this team has changed his perspective.

5 Likes