Portal

Yes Babich was first team in 1968 on 3-4 All American teams including the Coaches team (AFCA).

Cousino was 2nd team AP and 1st Football Writers of America.

3 Likes

Yeah……no attack here, but

Not so sure that a Miami degree has the same separation that we came to expect decades ago

I’d counter with the time value concept…. Cash in hand now, managed in a proper way, can do better (also are the average mid career earnings that dramatically higher than Georgias?). And what about the success stories of people who didn’t go to college?

Finally……I’ve made some pretty decent money day trading crypto……haha

3 Likes

I would tell Nicholson to look at some cautionary tales. There aren’ many people who can do what he does…and even less of a need for people who can do what he does. Case in point. Gabe Brkic. Saw him kick in high school…incredible kicker. Did all the camps, etc. Was ranked a top five in the country. Didn’t like the feel of Ohio State when he visited. Wanted to play big time…was a preferred walk on at Oklahoma. Did well, got his scholarship. Left early for the pros. Wasn’t drafted (who drafts a kicker?) He had good stats. was a finalist for the Lou Groza Award as the nation’s top kicker (20-26-76.9, long 56, 5-7 from 50-plus yards; 57-58-98.3 XP. Signed by Vikings UDFA. pulled a hamstring. They release him. Goes to Greenbay. Hammy was still an issue. They sign him and put him in IR. He’s cut with an injury settlement without ever playing a regular season game. Now I see him on the high school field before high school games hitting 58 yarders waiting for the phone to ring, but it never does and it’s not going to. Other than the quick cash there’s no reason to go anywhere else when it comes to your career as a kicker.

2 Likes

Would his hamstring been different if he stayed at Oklahoma? I suck at math so maybe I’m doing it wrong.

1 Like

It flows down through everything. FB coaching and staff salaries, administrative salaries (and headcounts), coaching salaries of other sports (especially non-revenue—you think there’s a market for that many six figure coaches? For example, OSU’s fencing head coach makes $144k), and also gold-plating every facility and service to student athletes.

The money goes so many places.

1 Like

Good question. OSU’s athletic financials from last fiscal year are pretty interesting.

OSU athletics generated $25.8 million in profit on $251.6 million in revenue. They spent $24.5 million in student aid, which is highly inflated at $57,375 per scholarship. They spent $81.39 million on coaching salaries, admins, and support staff. They kicked back another $48 million to the university for internal leases, debt payment, other overhead. So a pretty nice profit plus some inflated tuition money and other fees going back to the university. Plus some hefty salaries for coaches, admins and support staff.

Most of this story seems to have nothing to do with changing schools and everything to do with leaving early without a degree. I don’t see any indication that Graham is declaring for the draft.

1 Like

Borders coming back and Football Account just said more news coming…

2 Likes

What are the odds it’s a specific player withdrawing his name from the portal?

(We can dream, right?)

2 Likes

Well, Graham has a record breaking year going…just maybe he’ll want to add to it in a bowl game. I mean, the chances that he would injured kicking are pretty low, wouldn’t you say?

1 Like

I think it depends how much money he gets this looks like he searching for NIL or the NFL wants him to kick under more pressure better go to a Big 10 school southern kickers ain’t worth nothing

4 Likes

Miami has extended an offer to Cross. How sweet would that be

4 Likes

With the loss of Ertl, this is big.

https://x.com/miamiohfootball/status/1732500305953382765?s=46&t=Mwc894NmZi2sl3ixPUgjFA

7 Likes

If he wants to know the feeling of winning a MAC championship…

We should try to find a kicking mule. Then we could get Disney sponsership.

3 Likes

Raion Strader’s dad posted on X that he’s not entering the portal this year. Makes sense. Opportunity to be in the limelight next season. Sucks losing Nicholson, assuming he doesn’t change his mind. However, we have continually developed kickers over the years. Dom and Bevelheimer will presumably be on the roster as well as the youngster. Not too concerned. Special teams will continue to be top notch.

3 Likes

Did you just reference Gus?
When people talk about the greatest athletes of our time it’s always Jordan, Lebron, Tiger, Bonds, Brady. Yet no mention of Gus. This is not right.

Kellan McLaughlin is on the team (#38) and he already is 3 for 3 on extra points and 5 out of 6 on kickoff touchbacks this year. So he at least has experience and did pretty well

The weird thing about this portal is the announcements of guys coming back that I never even thought were a flight risk.

Whenever Chuck hangs them up or leaves for a better job the portal will be a brutal week

1 Like

He’s not the world’s greatest athlete. That of course is Jan-Michael Vincent, but he’s better than Air Bud.

2 Likes