Portal

EYE FUCKING ROLL

1 Like

Here’s my plea to Graham. Come back, do your thing again next year, win 2 Groza awards and have your jersey retired by Miami. The alternative is go elsewhere and be occasionally remembered as “who was that good kicker we had a few years ago?”.

1 Like

Tyh130…average cost to attend before aid is $35,642.

Not sure how old you are but wait till you have kiddies. If not your day may well come sometime soon. If you’re in Ohio and paying the average 35% of family income in taxes you’re going to have to make about $54,834 before taxes to pay the $35,642. That’s a big hit for most people. Maybe you saved for it, maybe you didn’t. Now if you have two kiddies and for maybe two years you have two in school at once for many it’s off to the parental loans department.

So in effect, that full ride plus stipends of maybe $3600/year is worth a combined total of $58,433/year to mom and dad and the student athlete. That’s more than most people in this country make in a year! If it’s out of state make that that total value to mom and dad before taxes at about $91,000/year!!!

I’ve had three kids go thru this and have lived those numbers above in real time. I didn’t have a spare $50k or $100k when I had two in school at the same time so we went the parent loan rout and I was paying loans for for about 14 years between my 3 kids.

Just call me one of the old fart MHT’ers shouting at the clouds. For Miami kids and especially for the kids going to P/5 schools there’s all kinds of additional benefits open to them besides the scholarship when they graduate and I guess I’m just old fashioned enough to think that’s enough.

1 Like

Excuse me, but I take great offense to what you just said. Seriously. How I feel is exactly that. How I feel. If you think it is “ridiculous” well that is your issue, not mine. I never said I “disliked him”. So that is not only incorrect, it is a lie. Nor did I “question his character”. Another lie on your part. I took a well over year hiatus from this board because of comments like yours. Maybe it is time I took another. Perhaps permanently. I don’t need this shit.

1 Like

A betrayal is committed by a betrayer. Those are strong words.

4 Likes

And for the record, I enjoy your content on this board. I just have questions over this post.

1 Like

The $30,000 I was referring to was tuition at Summit Country Day where Graham when to high school. I’m guessing his family is fairly well off.

1 Like

And what’s wrong for them seeking more if the market will bear it? Clearly the market will bear that cost for some.

Graham has a rare talent. A minuscule percentage of people can do what he does. If, for whatever reason, he wants to do it elsewhere, it’s his life and his happiness. I will root for him wherever he goes. I hope to see him kick on Sundays.

He didn’t betray anyone.

6 Likes

Agree

1 Like

It is a true mind melt for everything you mention. But, without the portal, we don’t win the title we just won.

3 Likes

It’s disappointing and we all want Graham to come back to Miami. But Graham is the #1 kicker in the country and has an opportunity to get paid a boatload of NIL money. I’m guessing $100-200k. It makes sense for him to take that money regardless of tax implications and regardless of how much money his parents have. It also makes sense for him to go to a bigger program and kick under higher pressure situations and potentially compete for a national title.

We have several other good players that have a chance to get NIL money at other schools, but we don’t have anyone besides Graham near the top of their position in the country. So the decision for Graham is a lot different than our other guys as he has a chance to make significantly more money.

NIL is the new reality. College athletics are generating billions of dollars for the schools and it’s long overdue the players get a piece of that money. It sounds like the P5 schools are paying $5-10 million in NIL money per year for football and basketball combined. That seems like a lot of money, but is still a small percentage of revenue.

5 Likes

It seems plausible to pay that money until you realize it will keep going up every year. I give this whole thing ten years max before many of the bigs are like “this is the most expensive poker table on Earth. I’m out!”

1 Like

Grumpy, I think the Rams really could use a kicker and with McVay’s connection to Miami, I could see them picking him up.

1 Like

Kickers are almost impossible to evaluate a bigger crowd isn’t enough pressure worst case he goes to a Bama or Georgia misses some kicks and gets benched in the NFL you lose your income and could be moving to another city as soon as next week it’s not even comparable pressure wise. He was good enough to get in a kicking competition in training camp that’s how the Ravens found Tucker. My guess is he wasn’t going to get drafted at Miami he wants to be a 6th or 7th round pick which I will point out doesn’t make much sense to do anyway

Our first ever 1st team?
https://twitter.com/MiamiOHFootball/status/1732437189638894073?t=ZSRSRmgsjECNFIKoHllwgg&s=19

5 Likes

Babich was the first, I think.

We also got a freshman named to the freshman All-American team. What a year!

2 Likes

Brad Cousino was named to some 1st team All Americas in 1974.

1 Like

This is not to argue that players should or should not get the money

But whenever I hear that the football is making a lot of money for the schools I always wonder who is getting that money. I think it mostly the coaches and the ADs right? I guess you could say that admissions is helped by good football. My guess is Ohio State athletic budget is probably break even- so is it the soccer players and track runners getting more plane trips then the market would dictate? Its not like every student or alum at OSU gets a check for the football success. I doubt athletics is writing a check to the engineering department.

At Miami it is even the opposite. Our students pay to support having athletic teams.

2 Likes