Portal

If you watched the P5 conference championship games there seemed to be a few well-heeled teams that had questionable kicking games.

Satterfield trying to jump start UC in the portal. Good luck dude, we’ll see your flailing program in Oxford this September.

https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/football/scott-satterfield-uc-team-leaders-list-ideal-traits-for-transfer-portal-players-find-people-that-want-to-buy-in-and-if-not-we-dont-want-you

1 Like

YellowNumber5—In Ohio the average tax rate for local, state and federal taxes is probably about 35%. NIL has got to be, I would think, taxed like wages. If his NIL is $80,000 and at that tax rate I think he’s got about $57,000 left after taxes to use to really enjoy his last year(s?) of college.

Can anybody say party at Graham’s place!

Special Bonus!!! He’ll get a monthly stipend from the school too based on their “cost to attend:” which will be in the $250-$400/month range depending on where he goes. They all get it regardless of whether they have any demonstrated financial need or not.

2 Likes

Tuition is about $30,000/yr (includes lunch -ha ha)

Well, hopefully after the free school, room, board, clothes, books, medical care, tutoring, stipend and now a wage, these poor, disadvantaged athletes MIGHT feel appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks much for the context. I now wonder if some states grace an advantage just based on tax rate. Shit, this thing gets complex real fast.

There’s an offensive portal jailbreak going on in Athens - Cross, Bangura, Allison and Rourke all have jumped in.

1 Like

That’s because OU was bad and got visited by Krampus.

#tooeasy!

Some NIL deals are out of hand, I know, but why do you have a problem with student-athletes getting a piece of a multi-billion dollar pie that they’re mostly responsible for?

2 Likes

Someone say Krampus?

Graham come home - you are wanted and needed! With the great number of returning players 2024 is going to be a special year for the Redhawks- be a continuing part of this team-be careful about being misled or end up in a situation where you will not have your skills properly utilized -you need to stay in OxVegas!

4 Likes

Refer to my initial post. They ARE being compensated, HEAVILY, for their sacrifices

Some kids are compensated, some aren’t. I was eating at Patterson’s one night near the end of the ‘22 season. A very high profile starter on the football team came in and we spoke to him. He was not there to eat, he was doing Door Dash to earn money. He had played earlier that day and was out 5 hours later working.

2 Likes

I will be honest. And I understand everyone’s situation is different. But Nicholson’s jumping ship after other players have said we are coming back, seems like a bit of a betrayal. It just doesn’t sit well with me.

2 Likes

I dont like the portal because it isnt what i am used to as a fan- so all portal losses are disappointing

But we are going to lose more kids this week too just like every school

Our kicker was one of the top 3 people at his position in the nation - do we think if we had a top 3 in the nation Qb or linebacker or WR they would be coming back?

I wish he was coming back and I really dont understand it but maybe he wants to play in front of 50,000 or 100,000 people vs 10,000. Maybe some agent thinks he has a better chance at the NFL kicking in big stadiums. Maybe he doesnt like his roommate or his girlfriend is at Kentucky. The “loyalty” of years ago is gone on both sides.

As a fan I do hate it though. I wasnt even rooting for Ivan Pace on MNF a couple weeks ago even though he played at Miami for two years including our bowl game when he was already transferring. I wasnt rooting for Feth in the Big 10 title game even though he probably graduated with a Miami degree. It just isnt what I am used to but it probably isnt changing

3 Likes

I am also shocked that Nicholson is leaving…I suspect you are right that he may want to play in a big time atmosphere in front of 50,000 fans each day.

It’s ironic because we have an offensive scheme here w Chuck that results in lotsa FG attempts for Graham, and has allowed his talent to shine through. It’s a real “kick in the teeth” that he is leaving when so many of our great players are returning.

1 Like

Agree this is a huge loss. Thought he may want to play for a Power 5 program.

Graham Nicholson thoughts

1. It may be that some NFL scout has pointed out to GN that kicking in front of MAC-sized crowds is NOT the same as kicking in front of 75,000 crazed fans at an NFL game (referring to the Sloman experience) and to truly be “evaluated” properly, he needs to kick in front of a comparable-sized large college crowd. Yes, kicking is a stat-based experience…but perhaps the noise factor must be included.

2. Regarding NIL, CM made an excellent point that a Miami degree is analogous to a longer-term investment in your future while NIL money is basically here today and gone tomorrow. That being said a Miami degree, to me, is like a Warren Buffett investment whereas taking NIL money is like day–trading crypto currencies.

3. Hopefully, and as been pointed out previously, maybe GN will prefer what Miami has going for it coming into next year (over what may be a lesser opportunity elsewhere) and will choose to stay in the band. He remains a key difference-maker and a made FG here and there will likely be needed next year to achieve Miami’s goals.

2 Likes

I hope he goes to Alabama or Georgia or another top 5 program because he deserves it. I will be disappointed if he ends up at a shit program like Sparty, Purdue, or Ohio State.

1 Like

I’m as disappointed as anyone but to say it doesn’t sit well with you seems a bit ridiculous. Not everyone’s situation is the same. This is a junior with a real chance to play in the NFL that didn’t join a pact with a group coming back for a 6th year. That fact that this makes you dislike him or question his character seems a bit petty to me.

4 Likes