Portal Possibilities?

Curious if any of the recent Xavier transfers (Elijah Tucker, Cesare Edwards, Dieonte Miles) would be a fit for the guy who originally recruited them out of HS…

Was wondering that too. Curious what his relationship with these guys would be.

Another late entry with major Miami connections is Evan Mahaffey, Jamie’s son. I was close to Jamie and loved his game. A great clutch player. Seems in many wins he made a play at winning time to secure the victory. Evan highly rated out of Moeller. Love to get him and/or one or two big men from X.

2 Likes

Interesting…6-5/6 200 pounder at this point…if he continues to add strength and play like his Dad, great!

Guessing that he maybe would to carve his own way and not on our radar, but with Steele…never now, could happen.

3 Likes
2 Likes

College of Charleston would seem to be the closest - and possibly best - option. Solid CAA program in the same neighborhood. Continuing easy access to great shrimp and grits.

I love that we are at least in the consideration set.

1 Like
1 Like

Of note, we’re currently in the dead period until April 6th

2 Likes

And yet I’ve never felt more “alive” about our possibilities.

(This guy yellow is simply unstoppable)

4 Likes

Offer from Jack Owens? Committed to Cal State Fullerton, then decommitted and signed with Denver.

“received offers from Bradley, Cal State Fullerton, DePaul, Miami (Ohio), Oregon, Tennessee-Martin, Wisconsin and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.”

To me, the one piece we really need to compete with the top of the MAC next year is an experienced big strong, physical PF. If we cannot land that guy, then the next best thing would be to get another physical experienced 6-5 or 6-6 forward similar in style to Morgan Safford. There are probably more of those guys available. I think our freshman PF can provide some minutes next year and get some experience, but probably not carry the load yet. That could improve us and narrow the gap as we develop our freshmen and the two sophomores continue to develop their game.

After watching a ton of tournament basketball, it seems obvious that we lack the physicality and toughness of the winning teams.

5 Likes

Dick - I generally agree but what I believe we need more than anything else is a true 6-9/ 6-10 true center who can rebound and play hard nosied physical defense in the paint. As much as I like AM he is not that type of player.

I think a lot of the talk about positional need for next season is overblown. When you’re bad you just need good players, regardless of position. If a really good guard or wing wants to come here I don’t think we’re in a position to say no just because we already have depth at those spots. Not a perfect example, but think about the Cleveland Cavaliers. Thank god they weren’t worried about positional need and/or fit when the drafted Darius Garland already having Collin Sexton. Get as many good players as you can and figure the rest out later would be my approach, especially when it comes to the transfer portal. We were 12-20. The roster needs talent across the board. And to be honest the physical, 6-8 power forward type that some have mentioned are few and far between in modern day college basketball. FAU just made the final four with four guards and a center. Hell, the last time we made the tournament our front court was Tim Pollitz, Michael Bramos and Nate Peavy. Pollitz was 6-5 (being generous), Bramos was 6-5 and Peavy was 6-8. Hardly conventional, but the common denominator was their talent.

10 Likes

I agree with what I will loosely call the “beggars can’t be choosers” philosophy you are espousing RH10. Some may not like my nomenclature, but essentially, that is what you are saying. But given that, and working within those parameters you state, should the choice be between a 6’5 wing or a 6’8" or so frontcourt player who can provide rebounding, defense, and physicality, and both are of equal talents, and equal interest in Miami, at this point our greater need, would be the post player.

1 Like

Most of the adding of talent has already been done. Basically we lost two talented players from last year, Mekhi Lairy and Kamari Williams. We have added 6 guys who have talent, but 5 of them are freshmen and they will all need some development. We can still add one more transfer, maybe two if Curtis Harrison leaves the roster ( he is the only surviving player from the previous staff).

For this last player or two we should be narrowing it down to what we need the most, and in my opinion that is physicality and toughness and experience, and the single position where we need the most help is power forward, someone to pair with Safford who is like him or bigger. Your example of Peavy and Pollitz and Bramos I actually like, Peavy was 6-8 and strong and could jump and Pollitz and Bramos were both rugged and tough and skilled , a guy like any one of those three would help us a lot ,IMO. I do think our two freshmen forwards can develop into that type of player, so we are on the right track for the future. but next year still depends on getting some help in this area.

1 Like

He is more physical than it appears. He moves so smoothly that it is hardly noticeable, but he is often moving the other guy. What he does need is to lose more weight and get in better condition. Our two young centers are still developing, but should eventually be very good. I think with the right additions we could be battling the better MAC teams as early as next year, but for that to happen we still need more power and toughness at the forward positions. Originally we hoped Harrison might provide those skills, but after two years he has shown nothing.

Logan Duncomb (Moeller/IU) to Xavier.

Leaving Northwestern.

Recruited by Xavier when Steele was there.

1 Like