Pitt game

85% impossible.

1 Like

Here’s the “out” for Sayler----

Whereas in the past, what mattered most to Miami was winning the MAC or getting into the Championship game which most here I think would agree CM did at an acceptable rate.

However, Miami now has a new add to the prior checklist—our entire athletic program is being built to be competitive in the next round of conference reshuffling and we have set our sights on leaving the MAC for, in all likelihood, the ACC. Basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, etc. are on-track to make that jump but football’s inability to show up against P-4 teams repeatedly may be the reason the ACC would not take us…as we would likely hurt their brand and status going forward given the prominence attached to competitive performance expected of football—the real driver of TV contract dollars.

Maybe I’m wrong…but this at least makes sense to me.

I think this is wishful thinking. What specifically is indicating the ACC? All I’ve heard is speculation and varying amounts of conjecture.

If true, the game on Saturday certainly didn’t help our case.

1 Like

People need to understand Miami’s place in the current college landscape. Our most likely landing conference following a big realignment shift are the Sun Belt, staying in the MAC, the AAC, and then the ACC, in that order.

The ACC is the pipedream, the AAC is the reach, and the Sun Belt (which would be made up of the top teams left over and hopefully include top MAC teams like Toledo and OU after the ACC and AAC have their fill) is the realistic landing place.

And before people again say the Sun Belt isn’t even a move up, Sun Belt media deal is $2m per school compared to 800k per school in the MAC. Its a step up.

3 Likes

All will be forgiven if he beats UC but if we don’t show up and get plastered by similar score the CM era should be ended.

3 Likes

Correct. His tenure is starting to feel like that of Coach Richt at Georgia. He did a lot of good things but ultimately reached a plateau. In order to achieve bigger and better things, I think we should move on… with the caveat that beating UC saves him for this year.

4 Likes

To kill some time yesterday I rewatched the home basketball game vs. OU and part of the home game vs. BG. Those games, featuring packed, rowdy crowds, have absolutely ruined the already low expectations that were in place ahead of Saturday’s game at Yager.

1 Like

Joining the ACC won’t even feel like the ACC if that day even comes. By then, ND, Duke, UNC, Miami, FSU, NC state and Clemson will be gone to bigger opportunities.

My theory:
Syracuse, Pitt, Wake, GA Tech, Va Tech and BC will be all that remains. Many of those schools will make a run at bigger conferences but the sweepstakes van won’t come. Rutgers will have a huge debt and no cache to the Big. Maybe they join. I think there will be SEC bottom feeders that do as well and possibly 1-2 from the Big 12. Maybe then UConn joins. There won’t really be room for more teams.

I think it’ll be interesting to see what the MAC gets. The MAC media deal is up after this season. If the MAC is close to the Sun belts deal it probably won’t be worth a move

https://x.com/bythebelt/status/2096778041305223381?s=46&t=F-WLIxbyYlhHo-puMzmVzw

You left out the biggest one of all when it comes to ACC..field hockey.

1 Like

Is this a fair comparison to make? Charlie Coles vs. Chuck Martin

Charlie was famous for his “Death March” OOC schedule, and while we often took a beating in the non-conference, Coles did knock off some big name opponents, especially earlier in his career. I’m not even talking about when we had Wally. I remember knocking off #17 Temple and #10 Notre Dame in the same season. We upset #10 BC in Hawaii the following year. We beat Xavier several times, once when they were ranked #7. We also beat unranked Illinois and Purdue teams.

Granted, in basketball, you have more opportunities, but I know for a fact that Charlie pumped up his teams before these games. My introduction to Ryan Pedon was before one of the XU games. He reached out to anyone with VHS copies of Miami upset wins because Coles wanted to show them to the team before one of the Xavier wins to fire them up.

Do you think we’d have won these games if Coles was constantly praising the opposition and shitting on our guys?

5 Likes

Coles wasn’t always pumping up his team.

I always loved the post-Kentucky speech while also wishing he had pumped the team up more.

As you noted, that was postgame. How do you know what he said to his team in the locker room before the game? You can’t tell me he didn’t motivate them. They lost by 2 at a top 5 team.

1 Like

Charlie’s teams often scared the crap out of power conference teams… or at least stayed competitive in many of them. And while that was frustrating in its own way (because historic wins, at times, were RIGHT THERE for the taking), I’d take that over watching a team not even being remotely competitive with an oppnent that isn’t even ranked.

4 Likes

Agree completely.

Yup. I gave my tape of the 1998 Tennessee game to Pedon so the team could watch it.

2 Likes

I’d love to have a copy of that game. I was there in person, but I didn’t realize it was televised.