Patrick Flavin

I hope he plays loose and a little aggressive. No reason not to. It’s a solid field so it’s gonna demand a low number

Another tough first day for Patrick. Shoots +2 on a day when the rest of the field carved the course up. Going to need a big Friday.

Posted a very nice 68 today, but looks to be 2 shots below the cut line.

Playing on the Korn Ferry Tour this week. Tees off at 3:11 pm EST today.

Won’t make the cut this week on the KFT. Tough stretch for Patrick lately.

He was right there through 16

Back on the KFT this week for the Evan’s Scholar Invitational. It’s played at a course near Chicago that I’m guessing Patrick is familiar with. Might help him this week.

That was Patrick’s best finish last year on the KFT. I think he tied for 5th.

Good opportunity to go low again.

1 Like

Yes, this week’s KFT event is being played at The Glen Club, a very nice course in Glenview, IL (and not far from Patrick’s hometown of Highwood). I’m sure he’s played it dozens of times as a junior golfer, a collegian, and a budding professional. Here’s hoping that experience pays off!!

He needs a lucky break. Guy has all the talent in the world.

Patrick has a small sample size as he has not played in a lot of events but he is only averaging 282 off the tee and only hitting 35% of fairways this year.

That is a major obstacle if he is going to have sustained success on the PGA or KFT.

Those numbers would put him pretty close to last in both categories on the PGA Tour.

For perspective, tour average is 298 off the tee and 60% in the fairway.

It is hard to score when you are hitting 2 clubs more out of the rough than most of the field.

He has to improve his driving if he has any hope of making a career on the PGA tour.

5 Likes

Yes, Los Angeles based Fatherly Figure, but I’m old. And I recall a young Brad Adamonis who had a slow roll up the charts until he got hot for a 3 year stretch and started bombing the ball, got his putting going, and made consistent cuts week in and out. Patrick is young. The opposite of fat/old me. I think he’s still got a chance.

The great thing about golf is that there is always a way forward. Patrick does have a chance if he keeps working at it.
It is also true that those from colder climes tend to be late bloomers.
Tom Lehman is a prime example. Zach Johnson is another.
Flavin is unlikely to start bombing the ball but if he can get the ball in the fairway consistently off the tee he could compete.
Brendon Todd is a guy who only averages about 280 off the tee. However, he is in the top 10 in fairways hit and near the top in putting. Todd has made a pretty good living out there the last 3 years.
It takes something like that to compensate for not getting it out over 300 yards off the tee these days.
There would be nothing better than having another Miami guy doing well out there like Adamants and Bob Lohr did for awhile. I think Lohr is the only Miami grad to have a PGA tour win.

4 Likes

I think that’s a pretty good assessment. Corey Pavin comes to mind as a guy who made it work while certainly not being the longest in the field week in and week out. Bonkers to think 280 is now considered short.

-4 and in 18th place after round 1. 3 off the lead. Hot Damn these guys can go low.

That’s what she said.

Sorry, had to.

You rascal!

Patrick makes the cut. Currently in 25th place at 5 back. Let’s see if he can go low on Saturday.

2 Likes

Flavin has it going early on Saturday. -3 thru first 6 holes moving into Top 10.

Also noticing Brian Orr making a lot of fields on the PGA Latin America tour. Pretty nice!

1 Like