Patrick Flavin

There are no weak fields on the PGA Tour on any week. However, this one will not include the top 64 in the world who play in the World Match Play event this week. Does make it slightly easier but there are a lot of guys who are good. Witness Flavin who thus far has not even been able to get a card to play on the Korn Ferry Tour. Good luck to Patrick.

Right, hence the word “relatively”.

1 Like

Perhaps relatively “lower ranked” rather than “weak”

The difference between the average score per round between Patrick Cantlay who won the season long Fed Ex Cup last year and #126 (top 125 get exempt status) was less than one stroke per round (actually .9).

It is a thin green line that separates these guys every week.

Patrick is currently -1 after two rounds of play. The current projected cut line is +1. There are still golfers on the course, so that might move, but I like Patrick’s chances of making it to the weekend. It’s a relatively weak field, so who knows what could happen the next two days :wink:.

2 Likes

Made it right on the cut line. Went 3-under on his final 9 holes today to do so.

3 Likes

-1 for today’s round, which puts him at -2 (T-51) for the tournament. While the leader is at -13, only a few shots separate Patrick from being in the top 25 (it’s a relatively weak field). So still a lot to be had with tomorrow’s final round.

5 Likes

Looks like he will finish in the 50’s with about 10 players behind him. I took a lesson this morning and my pro and I were talking about him and he’d actually heard of him. That’s saying something as he’s only had a few starts but has proven he can hang with the big guns.

2 Likes

Bummer…

Get him to a goodwill! Or whatever the local used club option is. There’s got to be a set he could get. Is there a rule against that?

He must have WD. Not shown on the Monday Q results. 4 qualified from 50 entries. Would have to shoot -4 to qualify. It’s a tough business.

The golf podcast The Grind which focuses on pro golf on the fringes features Patrick Flavin and his dad Mark this week. It’s a fascinating interview, especially for golf geeks.

The Grind podcast

3 Likes

Thank you for posting the link. I listened to the whole thing and beyond how poised Patrick is, you’re struck by how cool his dad is. I (as have many of us on this forum) have been around some truly unbalanced sports parents over the years. Pat’s dad is about as mellow and smart as a partner in crime as you could ever get. Just a breath of fresh air. Between him getting PGA status and Brad Adamonis getting on the senior PFA tour, we have a lot to hopefully look forward to the next few years.

1 Like

Patrick has been given a sponsors exemption to play in the John Deere classic coming up at the end of June. Another big opportunity on the PGA Tour.

2 Likes

That’s the tourney Brad Adamonis almost won when he finished second to Kenny Perry.

1 Like

I’m 99% sure I saw Patrick Flavin at the Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers in North Scottsdale on Sunday night. He was on a date and I did not bother him, but I wanted to.

1 Like

That’s funny. Not sure what I would have done, but probably the same thing. Although I’m sure he would have loved meeting a fellow Miami alum.

Patrick is in the field for this weeks PGA event - The Mexico Open. Tee off time is 9:46 this morning.

1 Like

Shot 4 under in the Monday qualifier and survived a 6 for 2 playoff to get in. He’s the new King of Mondays.

Shot +1 today, which is currently 8 strokes behind the leader. He’ll need to go low tomorrow to make it to the weekend.

He got a sponsors exemption into the Byron Nelson this week.

5 Likes