Oxford Restaurant Recommendations

Go to J’s in Liberty Indiana. His brother sold his recipe to them. Not exact, but good nonetheless. No chicks though.

1 Like

I ate there a few years ago and I couldn’t even finish my food it was so bad. Though I used to like it a lot, I haven’t been back since. Did I just get unlucky? I was assuming they had dropped off since I eat there so irregularly.

Pickle & Pig (attached to the Elms Hotel) if you are looking for a “grown up” meal. i.e. no TVs to watch games, lengthy bourbon list. New menu items coming in a couple weeks sound really good. A pot roast, sea bass, ribeye. Rising senior son is a server and bartender there.

7 Likes

Definitely got unlucky. I’ve had it 15 plus times in the past 2 years and never have had a bad experience.

1 Like

Paesano’s pasta house is a great fancy option.

3 Likes

Was in Oxford last spring and checked out Pickle & Pig. Didn’t have time for dinner, but was very impressed with the place. Had a drink at the bar and was pleasantly surprised to see their solid bourbon list.

5 Likes

There’s a little carry out on Sycamore St across from Millett I’ve gone to couple times on game day and gotten some not too bad sandwiches and proper beverages.

Now have a grill and tent the whole get up. Get there early and tailgate at the games. Lots of fun.

Speaking of which earlier in this chat few old timers (like me!) talked about few of the old bars. Back in the stone ages, you know…no cell phones or laptops or even desktops Oxford only had 3.2 beer. At the Boar’s Head while rocking to Roger and The Human Body (there’s a string somewhere in MHT about them) you could get a proper beer for 50 cents. It was a bit of a jock bar and if you asked the bartender for a “Willie” it was a mere Quarter! Two buck kept you drinkin’ all night long! Head back to you dorm or apartment and top it off proper with a Baskin-Robbins two dipper for about 60 cents. Big Thursday night on the town.

Last two years at our apartments on Chestnut (Macs Hamburgers!) and then on University at our house we called The Banshee Hut we’d head to the beer distributor in Hamilton and get half kegs of Little Kings. We were track guys and one time some num-nuts let Coach Stimpson (assistant coach) know about the one of the parties and he showed up and about shit. He was laughing and shaking his head. He left in a big hurry and never said a word to Coach Zody. People would drink Little Kings and not realize it was the more potent brew. Lottal’ fun. We’d have people walk up to us on campus and ask when you having your next party and offer beer money.

3 Likes

Dan Stimson was a great guy. I loved him a lot and he and his wife were very kind to our son. Not surprised that he let your shenanigans pass.

1 Like

I’ve always regretted not going to Patterson’s Cafe more often when I was a student. Huge menu, lots of options, and big portion sizes. If you’re looking for a lunch/brunch place

1 Like

Next door & attached to Patterson’s is Cru Gastro Lounge with very good food and wine.
Patterson’s, Cru & Paesanos are commonly owned.

Cru Gastro Lounge – Oxford, Ohio (cruwinebaroxford.com)

4 Likes

Hawk Vox. What did your son do that he knew Coach? And yes, he was a really good man, husband and dad. Got to know him well after I graduated. I lived in Nashville and traveled and became an assistant at UT. One of the top track programs in the country. Then a tremendous career as Director of Mens & Womens track at William & Mary.

2 Likes

Dave O.R., your post reminds me of the fact that of all the excellent sports MU has, your program gets little coverage given its excellence. Grateful to read about it and thank you for your contribution.

YellowNumber5…thanks for the kind words. Warm Regards dm

3 Likes

Moved my youngest in today for his senior year. Hit a new place for dinner: Cocina Latina. Excellent. Latin food: Mexican, Guatemalan, plus a cheeseburger if you aren’t into Latin. Across from the bandstand uptown, next to Corner Bar. Recently a Chinese restaurant in the space; for old timers, it is in the same spot as Pedro’s. Just opened late June. Will be in the regular rotation.

2 Likes

Has anyone been to Oxvegas Chicken? Noticed it walking around uptown today. Hadn’t heard of it before.

The founder’s were both students in the entrepreneurship program. Their idea that won ended up being Oxvegas Chicken.

1 Like

It’s not bad but its definitely not as good as Canes which is what they are clearly trying to emulate.

We thought thought it was as good as Canes, ,plus full bar,open late.

Easily as good, if not better, than Canes.

1 Like

Dan recruited him as a high jumper at W&M. Four very successful years and a terrific education to boot.

2 Likes