Oxford Restaurant Recommendations

Just thought I would channel my inner Guy Fieri and give a couple restaurant recommendations. If you haven’t been to Poplar Asian Cuisine, 20. S. Poplar, I highly recommend it. Authentic Chinese (there is bullfrog on the menu if you are so inclined, I am not!). We were the only non Asians in the restaurant, so always a good sign when you are eating international cuisine that those of that culture like it. The interior isn’t much to look at but the food was outstanding.

Then a new place that just recently opened up in the last few months, Tous les Jours. French bakery. Everything baked there, wide variety and very good. A little pricey but that certainly wasn’t an impediment to the Miami students filling the place. We went there when we took Celia back after winter term, when it had just opened, and then again this past weekend. Highly recommend if you want some high calorie, slightly expensive French pastery. 5 West High St. I may have brought 7 or 8 pasteries home!

5 Likes

Blues–Thanks for info. I hope to be in Oxford in the next week or two. Love good Chinese and have had a taste for a good Napoleon and other assorted goodies.

3 Likes

Adding two great new places to the list.

Little India (close to the library). Great Indian food for reasonable prices.

BT Chicken (Uptown): South Korean-style chicken wings, i.e., LOTS of unusual sauce (e.g., cheese corn and Korean sweet spicy). Their hot dogs are delicious and, again, very ‘unique’. The one with loads of corn and cheese is my favorite.

I echo Blues: Poplar is the best Chinese in town (same owners as Happy Kitchen). Their fried duck is amazing!

3 Likes

Tous Les Jours is actually a Korean owned bakery that makes French inspired items. I find it to be hit or miss depending on their items. Not a big fan of their doughnuts, but the cakes are fantastic, as an example.

1 Like

Have to give a shoutout to Ohana Island Grill as well. Good Hawaiian food. I recommend the Chicken Katsu and Spam Musubi

5 Likes

Give me Bruno’s or give me death!

3 Likes

1 Like

There is no food in Oxford except Skippers waffle fries, B&D and the Turkey Gobbler.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried Gaslight Brewhouse? We tried to get in the other week but the line was too long.

My family and my nephew, who is part of the Brick Wall, are big fans of the Gaslight Brewhouse. You will often find us there before hockey games and after basketball games.

2 Likes

Thanks! Our plan is to try before a football game - or we will be at Alumni Weekend this year.

My favorites when I lived in Oxford were Mac & Joe’s, Krishna, Steinkeller’s, and El Burrito Loco. B&D or SDS Pizza for late night food, Patterson’s for brunch, and Bell Tower on-campus. Honorable mention for Papa John’s half off pizzas the day after a Bengals win.

I don’t even know this place anymore.

1 Like

How is Bodega these days after the ownership change?

When I was at Miami, when not eating at the fraternity house, my diet was toasted rolls at Shriver and Brunos!!

2 Likes

I only speak a little French, but “Ou est Phan Shin dans la liste?”

2 Likes

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Blues. Man after my own palate.

2 Likes

It’s very good but you have to get there early on hockey night.Some away teams roll in there too.
Try the double cheeseburger with carmelized onions “ The buzzer beater”!

Thanks! I watch hockey when we make the Frozen Four. I know there must be a logic to it, but I have never been able to find it.

I was in O-Town back in November, and let’s just say the place is a little different than my days in the last millennium

R.I.P.
DiPaolo’s
Attraction’s/Saloon
Hole in the Wall/Miami Connections
Ozzie’s/Balcony
Happy Belly
Pedro’s
Mama Earth
First Run
Balcony
Jimi’s Tree Top
Donato’s
Res Food Court
Wells Hall Pizza and Pasta
Wendy’s
Joanna’s Restaurant (Catering place by McGuffey)

Had to tell my nephew what the alternate name for SDS was …

1 Like