Oxford Restaurant Recommendations

And that Chinese buffet out on 27. Grand China Buffet. Who banned the mens cross country team I was told as it was all you can eat and they ate like locusts!

I won the Halloween apple bobbing contest in 1969 at the Purity. The Boar’s Head - affectionally known as the Whore’s Bed - was great for liquid nourishment. It’s a shame the space has laid vacant since Follette’s left.

And who can forget the late night delivery of grilled ham and cheese sandwiches by the Sangy Man!

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that there are underground oil/gas storage tanks beneath the old Follett’s building (it used to be a gas station way back in the day). As a result, anyone who wants to develop that space needs to remove them, and it’s not a cheap exercise. Too bad…you’re right, that’s a great location.

3 Likes

Someone needs to figure it out. It’s far too prominent an uptown location to remain a boarded up vacant building forever.

Of course I spent some time at The Purity and Boarshead, but I actually spent more time at Al and Larry’s, and played some fooseball there. Also trips out to the Hitching post and “bowling” for beers!

3 Likes

A Bang with B. My favorite was a sloppy joe with potato salad. A midnight treat!

2 Likes

I don’t think that was holding anyone back. One of the most recent developements uptown was on the site of the old BP lot at the corner of High and College.

It may have been purposfully left vacant to leverage it’s historic designation being downgraded, which the owner pushed for and received in the fall.

3 Likes

How cool it would be to have an indie movie theater in that place. But as the article says, I am willing to bet it will be "apartments and an empty retail space.”

They could just put an indie theater in the vacant movie theater space.

4 Likes

If I had my way, I’d make it a swanky video arcade. I’d have it be a paid membership where you can go in and have a beer and play Galaga, PacMan, DigDug Qbert et all. It would be 100 a month with 2 complimentary drinks per visit and a full app menu. Sort of Dave and Busters meets quaint drinking room. Would only allow in so many at one time as you can book the machines for 30 minute slots.

I would love to do this…

5 Likes

Wo Hop, Mott Street

Little Kings are still available.

2 Likes

That is correct, sir. Just bought a case of Little Kings at Party Source in Bellevue, KY. I think it was the cheapest purchase in the entire bill…

2 Likes

No Defender? I’m out.

1 Like

Easy fix. Also I think pinball. It’s 20-25 machines max. Maybe we rotate in a few seasonally…

1 Like

Even older, The Huddle

2 Likes

The Green Death!

Man…you guys start this thread at the end of hockey season?! :grin:

I second Ohana among the newer options. Very good food, reasonably priced and friendly, helpful staff. Plus we can get in and out quick.

Tried Gaslight two seasons ago I think…good burgers but like someone else said, gotta get there early.

Mac & Joe’s and Skipper’s are still the GOAT of course.

Also, I continue to be amazed that in a college town where half of its students hail from Chicago and Cleveland, Oxford can’t have one quality independent pizza joint.

3 Likes

You’re right about the pizza! And I can’t believe the lack of a Chicago hot dog spot or a Tony Packo’s knockoff. Ashboro, North Carolina has Mike’s Chicago hot dog. It’s so authentic it makes you think you’re in Wrigleyville. Speaking of Wrigley, how about a Billy Goat in Oxford for Chicagolanders!

IMG_5755
IMG_5754

OXFORD NEEDS PORTILLOS!!

2 Likes