Oxford Restaurant Recommendations

Wendy’s will always hold a special memory for me. My brother and I were there in like ‘95 when Dave Thomas walked in. We were so excited and, as luck would have it, I had a disposable camera on me as we were heading out for the night (remember doing that?) so we asked Dave for a pic. He very rudely said “no way!” Not to be deterred, we handed the camera to another friend of ours, got behind Dave at a slight distance, and when Dave looked up at someone else, our friend took the picture. A reverse selfie and ahead of its time and a great shot of the two of us appearing to be hugging Dave as he scowled. I still have the photo somewhere.

2 Likes

Wendy’s is out on 27 heading for College Corner - moved out there after a fire at their uptown location.

4 Likes

Yeah like Blues and probably many of you here, when I was at Miami money was tight to say the least.

So, in addition to eating at the dining hall or then at the frat house, about the only extra “chow money” I had leftover was for an occasional toasted roll at the Res, SDS pizza (split w a buddy so $1 each!), or pizza uptown at Bruno’s. (to this day I have never had a pizza as greasy as Bruno’s,
but in a warped kinda way I really liked it!)

1 Like

On my first band day trip to Oxford in 1964, I ate lunch at Jerry’s Big Boy. It was located upstairs in the old building where the new Dubois Book Store building is now - next to the Beta house.

I also remember Schute’s Roast Beef in about 1969 - an Arby’s knock off - on the side street where the parking garage is now.

Too bad we didn’t have Skyline uptown back in the 70’s…on weekends some of the guys I knew piled into someone’s car at the frat house and drove to Hamilton for a Skyline “fix”.

1 Like

I loved Brunos. The pizza has changed since we graduated and we rarely go anymore. They also used to have those great all you can eat spaghetti dinners for about 2.50. Remember those?

5 Likes

Yet, you had better value in what you got. I have this weird theory and I’m no economist, but here goes: when the restaurants and bars in a small town go from diners to gastropubs, you unleash long term systemic problems. Namely, affordability is gone forever. Me? I’ll take a quarter beer (or whatever that is today with inflation) over a mixologist handing me a 25 dollar hand crafted cocktail any day.

2 Likes

Speaking into piling into cars, my freshman year, a bunch of us in Dennison, like 8 of us, piled into some tiny car, like a Chevette, and went to Hara Arena to see The Firm. I remember standing outside in line and some older bearded dudes, probably bikers, giving us beer. Jimmy Page was trashed on stage, and so were we!!

Fellow alums from my era; help me if I am wrong but in the 70’s wasn’t a 3.2 draft beer at The Purity or Boar’s Head 50 cents?

I remember the little 50 cent glasses of beer at the Oxford House.

1 Like

$3.25 pitchers

Yep

1 Like

Could be even cheaper if you spin the wheel right on green beer day.:grin:

A lot cheaper.

I was not a drinker, but I had a car (qualified since I lived more than 500 miles away).

I made quite a few trips for my Dennison and Scott Hall buddies to get beer in College Corner. I think “Little Kings” were popular too (76-80). Little small glass bottles.

1 Like

Schoenling! From the Gem City!

OK don’t keep me in suspense!

Yeah I also seem to recall that there were alternative versions (not necessarily positive) referring to SDS. I never said it was good,
but it was cheap and filling, and that was all that mattered at the time!

SDS was affectionately known as Students Delivering S*%+!

3 Likes

Yes indeed—it was our go-to pizza. We even jokingly, used it as a medium of exchange: we would ask ourselves how much the grocery bill was,how much a movie ticket was, etc. with answers like “that would cost us four pizzas.“

1 Like

For us older alums, R.I.P. also to:

• Bash Riprock’s
  • The Purity
  • The Gaslight Manor
  • Muther’s
  • Mr. Jim’s Steakhouse
  • Al & Larry’s
  • Burger Chef
  • Mac’s Hamburgers
  • Phillip’s 27 (out on College Corner Pike)
  • Coffee Pete’s (that’s going WAY back!)
  • Schuette’s Roast Beef (as mentioned earlier, a great local “Arby’s-like” place. It was rumored that the “Schuette’s Sauce” had beer in it, so my friends and I liked to go there back in high school)
  • Gold Star Chili
3 Likes