Other college football games 2024

It’s good to see we’ve officially returned to the glory days of the 1980s Southwest Conference.

“Hey, we bribed this kid and he’s not honoring the bribe!” — Dale Hansen, retired Dallas sports anchor

3 Likes

Obviously unconfirmed, but the rumor that’s now going around is that the $100k promise was conditional on him winning the starting job in camp. That type of deal can’t be put into writing because it violates the rules (NIL deals can’t be conditional on performance), so it’s entirely based on trust.

1 Like
1 Like

Easy solution for Sluka: Apologize, go back to the team, walk across the street and bet a bunch on Fresno, and then start throwing picks. /s

2 Likes

https://x.com/jackson_wood23/status/1839014016494219771?s=46&t=ZH1fFGwu8Q0191V3SgsUtQ

UNLV’s captain seems to have moved on from Sluka

1 Like

https://x.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1839031407064023260?s=46&t=ZH1fFGwu8Q0191V3SgsUtQ

Next man up!

lol….how long before this all collapses?

3 Likes

The portal/third-party NIL system (with no real written contractual agreements, regulations, or oversight between all parties) has created this weird anarchy that most realize is hurting the sport. It’s simmered my interest in college football, though I’m grateful that Martin has done a better job adapting to the new world than many others would in the same situation at Miami.

4 Likes

I think he is primarily a running QB. Started 3 years at Holy Cross. Their coach left and took the James Madison job and he left too.

1 Like

Its like a neighborhood house smoldering. Everyone knows there’s a fire starting, but no one wants to risk liability and do anything about it…let it burn…

1 Like

Where do you live?

3 Likes

They watch houses smolder in your neighborhood and do nothing? Wow.

4 Likes

Cap NIL at $250,000. Allow one transfer without losing eligibility. Allow a second transfer if head coach or position coach leave. That’s it. Fixed. NCAA doesn’t want to fix it. The NCAA sucks. That is all.

4 Likes

Unfortunately the courts will immediately rule against this solution. They have been fairly clear. Any rule which limits an individual’s earning potential is a conspiracy in restraint of trade and as such illegal.

I am hard pressed to envision any set of rules that will be both legal and address the sports problems.

For all the bashing of the NCAA this is the nightmare they envisioned. Their failure to put in rules is largely a result of the knowledge that any rules they put in place would be unlikely to stand up to legal challenges.

3 Likes

If it’s all the same to you, I’m sticking with : The NCAA sucks. If you know, you know.

Only way you change this is by making them employees with contracts under a collective bargaining agreements. Then, you have everything out in the open, the universities regain control and you can stop the NIL madness. Universities can even set up endowed funds to pay salaries that people could donate to, but these shady collectives go away.

5 Likes

I’m not sure NIL / IP rights will ever go away. Pro players all have outside deals but they have less to do with their team than their likeness helping endorse a company/product. And they dont really have to rely on those outside deals for the most part due to their salaries. College players won’t be paid quite that well and have very little true IP value so outside boosters will still ante up via collectives to provide that competitive advantage. Apples and oranges

My opinion is that the schools view the collectives as a necessary evil and would love for them to go away forever. Under an employee contract, it’s perfectly feasible to prevent players from engaging in that while still being allowed to strike true NIL deals with companies. Millions of contract employees have prohibitions on what kind of outside income they can earn–if any. And watch Kavanaugh turn on a dime the moment this becomes about employee rights.

1 Like