Other college football games 2024

Both Notre Dame and Texas A&M still ahead of NIU in the coaches poll.

Gee. I’m shocked. At least NIU is ranked. They have another shot at a P5 when they meet and beat NC State.

1 Like

When we played LSU, my wife and her mother and I went to an upscale seafood restaurant in Detroit’s northern suburbs. As I always did in those years, I tried to get the game on the radio. Amazingly, I could pick up a New Orleans station that broadcast the game. I tried to be discrete and excused myself several times to get updates. Fortunately, they both had too much wine and were pretty loaded, so they didn’t miss me. I hurried to pay the bill so I could listen to the end. It was an awesome game. Rod Dieringer, a Miami bball player, and I were good friends. He went to the game told me that the LSU fans were stunned and silent. Loved it! A great win for us–probably our best ever.
Thanks Bash for posting the highlight film. Enjoyed it a great deal!

2 Likes

Teams from the current PAC12 and the refugees who went to the B1G, ACC, and Big 12 are 21-2 in their first two weeks in the new environment. Colorado and Stanford are the only two who have lost a game.

The O3 Podcast showed this graphic today.

3 Likes

That 2003 MAC season was probably the best ever, and certainly the deepest the conference has ever been since the early 70s. In addition to the upsets in the graphic, NIU beat Alabama in 2003, and of course Miami was the best MAC team hands down. So you can understand why there was a computer ranking that had Miami #1.

3 Likes

I was at that Toledo game when they beat Pitt with Larry Fitzgerald.

2 Likes

Alabama A & M blew out Kentucky State Saturday. Aveon played some in each half and put up[ good numbers. 7 for 8 for 83 yards an 3 rushes for 32 yards. My Miami friend from Aveon’s home town emailed me those stats.

3 Likes

Good. For A&M, Kentucky State would be the equivalent of an FCS game for us. They’re HBCU D2. Glad he got some playing time.

There is no reason Notre Dame should be ahead of NIU. Notre Dame is 1-1. NIU is 2-0 and beat Notre Dame on the road. Why is NIU not ahead of the Irish?

2 Likes

9/20/03 was an amazing day. And the hits kept on coming. Just when you thought, ”Wow this is amazing for the MAC…” another game would start another another BCS conference team would fall.

4 Likes

We saw it!

Never count on getting any critical calls or accuracy from the clock keeper when you visit South Bend. Don’t let it go down to the wire like Toledo did a couple of years ago.

This from today’s story in The Athletic:

“It wouldn’t have come to that without two critical officiating gaffes in Notre Dame’s favor, of which Hammock was more keenly aware after going through the game film Sunday morning.

“That’s just what it is sometimes,” he said.

A bad spot and resulting failure to start the game clock didn’t stop Hammock’s tough, veteran team from earning the first win in school and Mid-American Conference history over an AP top-five opponent. They didn’t prevent 2-0 Northern Illinois from becoming an early Group of 5 team to consider as a 12-team College Football Playoff contender, though the MAC has others.”

2 Likes

Their best work yet:

Miami 44-14 @ Northwestern
Miami 42-37 vs Cincinnati
Miami 49-28 neutral vs (9-3) Louisville
BG 27-26 @ #16 Purdue
BG 17-24 @ #4 Ohio St
BG 28-24 neutral vs Northwestern
NIU 20-13 vs #15 Maryland
NIU 19-16 @ #21 Alabama
NIU 24-16 vs Iowa St
Toledo 35-31 vs #9 Pittsburgh
Marshall 24-34 @ #12 Tennessee
Marshall 27-20 @ #6 Kansas St
Akron 31-48 @ #18 Wisconsin
Akron 37-38 @ (9-3) UConn
WMU 21-26 @ (8-4) Michigan St
Kent 31-34 vs (9-3) UConn
UCF 28-49 @ #9 Virginia Tech

2 Likes

Miami got a couple of wins at UNC and that big win at Virginia Tech since 1997.

1 Like

All those games I listed are just from 2003.

4 Likes

Gotcha! I remember watching the Marshall win on TV. That was the MAC’s golden year for certain!

1 Like

Thanks for putting that together. I knew the list was silly long.

1 Like

I was at the Purdue game in 1962 when we beat them 10-7. My dad was a Purdue season ticket holder (football & basketball) & I was a high school freshman at the time.

4 Likes

The Vanderbilt entrance from Week 1 is awesome.

2 Likes