NIU Week 2022

You know he’s getting all the reps this week. Brett’s been in a walking boot. Brett is probably a game day decision next week.

1 Like

Cool Papa…oh so appropriate! Was always big StarTrek fan!

If NESCACDAD is right and Aveon getting all the reps it bears repeating—Lord help us!

1 Like

NIU has just one goal left this season - spoil Miami’s late season run for a bowl bid in order to pay us back for claiming to be Chicago’s MAC team.

He’s got 3 of the 4 wins so far this year. You should hope he gets the start. It’s funny how critical you folks are of a kid that played his heart out for this team after being out of the game for 3 years. I hope none of the players look at this site. I wouldn’t want to play for “fans” like you.

2 Likes

I doubt any players, coaches know or would care about this board. Just a lot of unhappy people from what I read. You may want to flip over to twitter if you want to talk Miami Football. These guys aren’t very welcoming to newcomers or anyone who sees things differently. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

As opposed to people who are happy as a clam at high tide to be 4-6 in a dreadful MAC? I’ll gladly stake my claim among the disgruntled guys!

2 Likes

Weather forecast for game time at NIU: 28 degrees with snow showers and a 12 mph wind. Doesn’t sound like a night to be slinging it.

Ben Bryant is getting boo’d by UC fans and they are 8-2 and I should feel ashamed that I dont think Aveon Smith gives us the best chance to win.

1 Like

He gives us the best chance now if gabbert is out. Next man up. Prepare and go play.

And we know this how?

1 Like

We are 3-3 with him as a starter… The staff sees these guys every day, just because we fans have not seen the other guys play does not mean that they are not being evaluated by professionals every day. Aveon is tough and a good leader and makes some big plays which got us wins over NW and Kent.

3 Likes

If Brett is out, Aveon definitely offers us the best chance to win on Wednesday, especially if throwing the ball is going to be challenging because of wintry weather. As I’ve said before, I think - with our anemic running game - we missed an opportunity to use both Brett and Aveon in our offensive scheme. I watched Ole Miss line up on the Bama 2 yesterday and run a direct snap to a kid built just like Aveon. He ran it straight up the middle into the end zone. Bama knew it was coming. Hell, everyone knew it was coming. But they couldn’t stop it.

4 Likes

Definitely a lack of creativity in not using Aveon in a few offensive plays since Brett came back. He is the one runner on our team who has the best chance of running for a first down or even a TD.

6 Likes

Agree completely!!

Exactly…like I said above he has more wins this year…and there’s no QB controversy, but he has other talents.

Our offense has no creativity.

2 Likes

Aveon Smith could very well be the best of the non Gabbert qbs but remember these professionals thought Billy Bahl was better than Gus Ragland and Jackson Williamson was better than AJ Mayer

2 Likes

Things may have changed over the five years since then, but the Jordan Martin manifesto would seem to contradict this idea.

3 Likes

Maybe I should say the best option “right now”. Long term who knows about other QBs? We haven’t seen them play. Aveon was QB for 3 wins. He knows the offense, therefore he’s the best option today if Gabbert is out. Hopefully Gabbert plays and is ok. I haven’t heard any updates and probably won’t.

1 Like

Do you have any idea how hard it is being fans of this program? This Athletic Dept? :joy:

5 Likes

Funny… I was just thinking about that (the nephew). He got run off the board pretty quickly.